The Student Room Group

Operation Fightback - Millennials vs Baby Boomers after Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherry82
But we don't know that. Already, there's been drastic negative effects. If it wasn't for these negative effects that already happened not even up to a day after the results but hours after, no one would complain as much.
At this point, I'm now just hoping for the best. I'm done crying over spilled milk. If it goes well, that's great as it is all to our advantage as a country then if it does not go well, I guess we'll just have to pick up the pieces and learn from our past mistakes. Hopefully the pound will gain its worth again, that Cameron will change his mind on leaving or at least we'd be able to find a good prime minister in replacement and most importantly that Scotland will see some benefits in staying with us. This is me being optimistic. The truth though is that optimism is at times very far from the reality. Fingers crossed we'll be ok.
Tuition fees have raised to 9,000 from 3,000 over the years...the last thing young people need who fall into at least £27,000 in debt is a recession. And the government even had the audacity to state it may increase over the years. In Germany, if I remember clearly it is free of charge to study at university. Now we've left, who knows how hard it would be for British students to receive a free education by studying and partly staying in Germany.

And you have perfectly exemplified the reason why so many people voted remain: you're looking at tomorrow, you're not looking at 5 or 10 years down the road

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pol pot noodles
How, in the slightest?

People spent hours complaining that the UK was consistently out voted in Europe. They spent ages telling us that they thought differently to us.

By the same sentiment expressed in your post, we shouldn't have had a referendum to leave, we should have just shut up and accepted it.
Original post by jake4198
It wasn't 2%, it was 4%, and a win of well over one million votes is a decisive victory. If you believe in democracy, you will believe that all peoples, regardless of race, sex and age, are entitled to their vote. You should respect the will of the people and start trying to better Britain as an independent and commonwealth nation.

I think you're confused on how percentages work. 52% voted leave, if 2% swapped to remain, then remain would have won with 52%. When someone changes their vote it both gets added to the other side and you lose it from your side. So a ~1% vote swing would have made it exactly 50:50.

I also think you're thoroughly confused about what the OP is discussing. Typically older people carry more political "weight" because while obviously everyone's vote is equal, vastly more of them turn up. If you can appeal to 1 million people to vote for you knowing 5% will turn up or appeal to another million people and 95% of them will turn up, which are you going to pick?

The entire point is that the millennials who complain about being screwed over by the baby boomers mostly let it happen by not voting and if we voted in higher numbers we could have much more say.

He has not said anywhere there should be a 2nd referendum, that is just your paranoia.
Original post by Jammy Duel
And you have perfectly exemplified the reason why so many people voted remain: you're looking at tomorrow, you're not looking at 5 or 10 years down the road

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because we young people have to as 5 to 10 years down the line includes our peak period concerning finding and settling into our careers. In 10 years time, I'd be about turning 29 years of age. I can't afford for mess ups during the gap from now to then. Those who voted to leave, 30 and up most likely already have settled into their wanted careers. So 10 years from now to then, for them seems like nothing. To me though and other young people, this is happening at a time essential in regards to our future and careers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mojojojo101
People spent hours complaining that the UK was consistently out voted in Europe. They spent ages telling us that they thought differently to us.

By the same sentiment expressed in your post, we shouldn't have had a referendum to leave, we should have just shut up and accepted it.

Are you actually seriously legitimately comparing the two? Like seriously actually? You think demanding a referendum on the EU's membership status because you believe the EU is no longer fit for purpose is akin to having tantrums and rioting anytime the General Election or a referendum doesn't go your way?
You think those two situations are in any way comparable? For real?
(edited 7 years ago)
It's literally impossible to default on student debt. You either earn enough to afford to pay it back or you don't pay back anything. Tuition fees are the biggest red herring I have ever seen when it comes to people moaning about the economy or their own personal finances.

If a recession happened, it would be a nightmare. That's all I am saying. Consider other people. I'm done with this. I've accepted it is the result I just pray we're not completely finished.
Are you actually seriously legitimately comparing the two? Like seriously actually? You think demanding a referendum on the EU's membership status because you believe the EU is no longer fit for purpose is akin to having a tantrum on the streets of London whenever the Tories win an election or ranting on social media because a national vote didn't go your way? Like for real?

People weren't getting their way in Europe, they had a hissy fit and left.

People aren't getting their way in the UK, they are told to shut up and take it.
Its not just the young vs the baby boomers. Its us 30 to 50s as well. The people in the middle. We made choices and me personally I am bloody happy that we have left the EU. Means we can get rid of this nanny state attitude.

Back in my day during school you got a really good shouting at if you disrespected your elders.
During my Parent's time at school you got the cane and you where whipped into submission.
During my Grand Parents time at school you got birched and it really really hurt!

Your lucky that we have moved on from a barbaric fascist society to a semi benevolent society.

Maybe we should revert back to the good good old days and you can learn some respect!

Tell you 1 thing the new generations who where born from 1995 on wards really should learn some life experience 1st because you may think your going to earn £75,000+ right now but reality has ways of biting you and waking you up.

And as for your social justice pro noun safe space rubbish majority of the elderly think your a joke!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cherry82
If a recession happened, it would be a nightmare. That's all I am saying. Consider other people. I'm done with this. I've accepted it is the result I just pray we're not completely finished.

A recession would be a nightmare because it's, well, a recession. They suck major balls by definition. Tuition fees don't add or subtract anything to that point.
Original post by mojojojo101
People weren't getting their way in Europe, they had a hissy fit and left.

People aren't getting their way in the UK, they are told to shut up and take it.

British people aren't getting their way in Europe, they demanded a democratic vote on the matter and abided by the results of that vote.

British people aren't getting their way in the UK, they have a democratic vote on the matter, lose, then throw a tantrum like a spoilt kid. Then get told to shut up and take it.

Quite a big difference between the two scenarios obviously and frankly you must be trolling because I'm not going to insult your intelligence by believing you actually think they're comparable.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Its not just the young vs the baby boomers. Its us 30 to 50s as well. The people in the middle. We made choices and me personally I am bloody happy that we have left the EU. Means we can get rid of this nanny state attitude.

Back in my day during school you got a really good shouting at if you disrespected your elders.
During my Parent's time at school you got the cane and you where whipped into submission.
During my Grand Parents time at school you got birched and it really really hurt!

Your lucky that we have moved on from a barbaric fascist society to a semi benevolent society.

Maybe we should revert back to the good good old days and you can learn some respect!

Tell you 1 thing the new generations who where born from 1995 on wards really should learn some life experience 1st because you may think your going to earn £75,000+ right now but reality has ways of biting you and waking you up.

And as for your social justice pro noun safe space rubbish majority of the elderly think your a joke!

Ladies and gentlemen. May I present our elders and betters. Bring back the cane, whip the young into subservience, elderly people hate you.

Spoiler

It's literally impossible to default on student debt. You either earn enough to afford to pay it back or you don't pay back anything. Tuition fees are the biggest red herring I have ever seen when it comes to people moaning about the economy or their own personal finances.

Right, that doesn't remove their point about avoiding the tuition fees all together.

Just because you won't be declared bankrupt by not being able to pay it doesn't mean people want that hovering over their head when previously it was entirely possible to go abroad and study for free.
Ah yes.... What did he older generation ever do for us?

Original post by Norfolkadam
Ladies and gentlemen. May I present our elders and betters. Bring back the cane, whip the young into subservience, elderly people hate you.

Spoiler

Your right and if it was me in charge of your education I'd have you singing hymn's to learn that this country was founded on Christian principles.

I'd have you learning about real history that matters such as how Thatcher destroyed working class communities and how the EU destroyed an entire fishing industry.

You would only speak when spoken too and you would have nothing but respect for members of staff.

To put it bluntly I would have every school in Britain swap to the Chinese system.

There is so much lack of respect in todays society. I had to put up with a lot of this rubbish as soon as I left a grammar school and had to move to a normal comp.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Elivercury
Right, that doesn't remove their point about avoiding the tuition fees all together.

Just because you won't be declared bankrupt by not being able to pay it doesn't mean people want that hovering over their head when previously it was entirely possible to go abroad and study for free.

It doesn't 'hover' over anyone's heads. It's the least impactful debt you'll ever have in your life.
We've had the opportunity to study abroad for free instead of paying tuition fees for over a decade now and still literally 99% of English students study in England, for a reason. English universities are better by a country mile.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Your right and if it was me in charge of your education I'd have you singing hymn's to learn that this country was founded on Christian principles.

I'd have you learning about real history that matters such as how Thatcher destroyed working class communities and how the EU destroyed an entire fishing industry.

You would only speak when spoken too and you would have nothing but respect for members of staff.

To put it bluntly I would have every school in Britain swap to the Chinese system.

This is what the wrong side of history looks like.
Original post by Elivercury
I think you're confused on how percentages work. 52% voted leave, if 2% swapped to remain, then remain would have won with 52%. When someone changes their vote it both gets added to the other side and you lose it from your side. So a ~1% vote swing would have made it exactly 50:50.

I also think you're thoroughly confused about what the OP is discussing. Typically older people carry more political "weight" because while obviously everyone's vote is equal, vastly more of them turn up. If you can appeal to 1 million people to vote for you knowing 5% will turn up or appeal to another million people and 95% of them will turn up, which are you going to pick?

The entire point is that the millennials who complain about being screwed over by the baby boomers mostly let it happen by not voting and if we voted in higher numbers we could have much more say.

He has not said anywhere there should be a 2nd referendum, that is just your paranoia.

I will conceive to your point about the second referendum as I'm flicking between threads so I'm getting confused about each OP.

Regardless of who voted for what, the majority of British people voted to leave the EU and I don't understand why that's so hard to accept. It was the elders who kept Scotland in the UK and no one cared, but for some reason anti-democratic and hypocritical "progressives" are trying to make it into an injustice because it defies their political agenda.
It doesn't 'hover' over anyone's heads. It's the least impactful debt you'll ever have in your life.
We've had the opportunity to study abroad for free instead of paying tuition fees for over a decade now and still literally 99% of English students study in England, for a reason. English universities are better by a country mile.

"least impactful" doesn't mean it isn't there and doesn't exist. Out of curiosity, how much of your loan have you paid back?

Just because 99% don't choose to take the option, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Also with ever increasing student loans it's clearly becoming more attractive.

Your comments about the quality of English (not British I note) universities is also absolute guff. Half the universities in the country are pretty poor and only a handful make it anywhere within the world rankings. There are plenty of world class institutions in Europe which would offer superior opportunities and likewise plenty of average institutions which would do just as good a job as an average English/British university.
Original post by jake4198
I will conceive to your point about the second referendum as I'm flicking between threads so I'm getting confused about each OP.

Regardless of who voted for what, the majority of British people voted to leave the EU and I don't understand why that's so hard to accept. It was the elders who kept Scotland in the UK and no one cared, but for some reason anti-democratic and hypocritical "progressives" are trying to make it into an injustice because it defies their political agenda.

Once again, he is not pretending it's a social injustice or saying that the vote should not be accepted.

He's saying that if you're not going to show up and vote, don't piss and moan when those who did get their way. Older people carry a dominant share of the vote because they bother to show up and vote, not through any special privilege. If young people feel they aren't getting a voice or are being "controlled" by their elders, then the solution is simple - go out and vote instead of crying on the internet.

If you don't vote, you've no right to complain about the outcome.
Reply 39
But you also have to respect the wishes of the people who voted against right? Majority is a majority granted, but the Victorious leader is a good leader that can combine the wishes of both together

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending