The Student Room Group

What does Brexit means for young people? Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Will EU students applying to university courses starting in 2017 see their tuition increased? Or will it remain the same until the UK officially leaves the EU (in two years time)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Hevachan
How worried should i be? Is there any way it will be stopped from going through parliment? Does this mean the end of the nhs?

Well apparently now that we've left the EU, money that we originally spent on the EU can be used for the NHS to make it better. That's what I heard anyways! :biggrin:
Do you believe that Brexit would openly affect those wanting to study at university abroad?
A friend of mine wanted to study in France (wanting to become something like a translator) and is terrified that she won't be able to now.
For an EU student applying for a 2016-2017 entry, I believe it will be 9000 as tuition fee for that year. However:
1. since we reapply every year, would this mean that, for 2017-2018, we might be charged international fees?
2. in the future, will EU nationals be entitled to loans?
3. in the future, can the terms and conditions of repayments for people who applied previously as EU students change? For example, after years when, say, the UK is well out of the Union officially, could they apply a new repayments system for us, completely different to what we signed for? Or do we have the certainty that they will apply the same legislation to that of the year when we signed the agreement for the loan?
How bleak is my future looking at the moment? What will happen to London's financial district, will it be a deserted fairground?
Reply 25
Will losing our AAA rating lead to bankruptcy?
how will tuition fees be affected?
I am currently studying in hopes of becoming an actuary (or getting into finance in general). Will this affect my career path at all and if so should I have a backup plan? I have just finished year 11 so I will be going to uni in 2018
I about to start my a level in spanish, french and music. I definitely intend to study Spanish possibly with music at university. Will the conventional year abroad be affected? Also, I hoped to be able to reside over in Spain and or Italy, as a linguist and or musician. Will Moving there still be possible? What implications will it have? Will I still be able to move back to the UK when I'm ready to settle down and have a family etc.?
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Do you believe that Brexit would openly affect those wanting to study at university abroad?
A friend of mine wanted to study in France (wanting to become something like a translator) and is terrified that she won't be able to now.

I am the same, I hope to study Spanish and live in Spain. I hope my aspirations will not be affected! I am very nervous this will affect my future.
How will the young people of today be affected in say 5 years time? Will we struggle to make a living due to financial issues or will everything balance out in the end?
What about postgraduate loans which should be available in July/August 2016?
(edited 7 years ago)
If we're leaving the EU, it follows that we won't get the benefits that EU membership gives us. Does this mean it will be harder to us to move abroad for study or work? If we do choose to move to other countries in the EU, will we have to pay higher taxes there than we do at the moment and will tuition fees be higher?

Also, how does the rest of the EU feel about the UK leaving? I've heard a lot about how we feel about the EU but not much about how the EU feels about the UK.
Original post by MildredMalone
As I don't want to work in Europe, and my line of work is in education rather than anything directly "market related", how will Brexit affect me?

The EU is not just about work. The EU has impactedon all areas of the UK economy and culture. From harmonised environmental and sustainability policies to funding for localcinemas and regeneration projects. The EU has played a significant role over the last four decades in the UK but often in the background. The real question is what we have now lost as a result of withdrawing from the EU.
Reply 34
Will learning languages be affected, as I study German, presumably depends on what trading deal the government negotiates?
Original post by Darren Sharpe
The EU is not just about work. The EU has impactedon all areas of the UK economy and culture. From harmonised environmental and sustainability policies to funding for localcinemas and regeneration projects. The EU has played a significant role over the last four decades in the UK but often in the background. The real question is what we have now lost as a result of withdrawing from the EU.

So my stated career prospects won't be affected? Cool.
Thank
Original post by Ara8311a
If we're leaving the EU, it follows that we won't get the benefits that EU membership gives us. Does this mean it will be harder to us to move abroad for study or work? If we do choose to move to other countries in the EU, will we have to pay higher taxes there than we do at the moment and will tuition fees be higher?

Also, how does the rest of the EU feel about the UK leaving? I've heard a lot about how we feel about the EU but not much about how the EU feels about the UK.

The rest of the EU feel sad and disappointed that the UK will be leaving. For many years now the other member states have wanted the UK to take a greater role in the leadership of EU but frustrated at times because we never really committed ourselves 100 per cent.

However, we can still travel, work and study elsewhere in Europe but following our formal exist within 2 year time it will be harder and more expensive. The rules we apply to immigrants and/or students who wish to visit or study in the UK will be applied to UK seeking to work, train or live elsewhere in Europe.

Finally, we will see a gradual withdrawal of all our EU benefits over the next two years has we slowly withdraw from the EU.
Original post by xMariex
Well apparently now that we've left the EU, money that we originally spent on the EU can be used for the NHS to make it better. That's what I heard anyways! :biggrin:

Nigel Farage has now said that it was a mistake to imply that the 350 billion pounds we usually pay the EU would be spent on the NHS, so it's looking less and less likely that this will happen :frown:
Original post by PeepLeal
Will EU students applying to university courses starting in 2017 see their tuition increased? Or will it remain the same until the UK officially leaves the EU (in two years time)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tuition fees in the UK should remain the same and should not be directly affected by today's decision.
Original post by xMariex

This was suggested however when or if this money becomes available there will be numerous departments of state making their case for extra funding. Therefore no politician will promise UK EU contributions will be defiantly redirected to the NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending