The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celloel
They deserve the right to vote, mate. It's unfair to say because 'they'll die within the next few years' that you are owed the vote more than them. Kind of disgusting actually.

So many people of the older generation have never had the chance to vote on this issue. They deserved their say.

Plus, when we've all grown old, we're going to be sitting here voting, and if someone came and told us we couldn't vote, I am sure we'd be outraged that after all those years of hard work, we're being told we don't get a say...

Unless of course you want to eradicate the elderly *cough* @Aph *cough*
Yes we really did deserve to be involved in this however to be fair none of the people at school even made a big deal about it and most only started caring a few days before the voting started and we are more likely to be influenced by our families and do what they say, not all of us but some of us. But yes I would've liked to vote remain and I'm a UK British citizen, I'm 16 as well by the way and mature enough to make decisions. It's really silly how they want us to act like adults but don't give us life lessons! Sure learning about mitochondria and static electricity is interesting but they keep us trapped in revision guides to much and don't let us become independent.
Reply 82
Original post by Matilda612
Yes we really did deserve to be involved in this however to be fair none of the people at school even made a big deal about it and most only started caring a few days before the voting started and we are more likely to be influenced by our families and do what they say, not all of us but some of us. But yes I would've liked to vote remain and I'm a UK British citizen, I'm 16 as well by the way and mature enough to make decisions. It's really silly how they want us to act like adults but don't give us life lessons! Sure learning about mitochondria and static electricity is interesting but they keep us trapped in revision guides to much and don't let us become independent.

Totally agree with this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by mobbsy91
Plus, when we've all grown old, we're going to be sitting here voting, and if someone came and told us we couldn't vote, I am sure we'd be outraged that after all those years of hard work, we're being told we don't get a say...

Unless of course you want to eradicate the elderly *cough* @Aph *cough*

I actually wouldn't mind giving up my vote for big defining issues like this. Would vote for general elections but the old should give it up for referendums.
Original post by Aph
I actually wouldn't mind giving up my vote for big defining issues like this. Would vote for general elections but the old should give it up for referendums.

I kinda want a big referendum in 60 years, and then to drag out this post... Perhaps by then you'll have converted to the extreme right wing :wink:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
If 16-18 years old were allowed to vote in the referendum, then it's very likely that remain would have actually won. There's a very clear trend that shows how the elderly are very anti EU while the younger people tend to be pro EU. It's very frustrating for me as a 17 year old to see decisions being made by people who will honestly die within the next 10 years while I am unable to have a say. The future belongs to us, the youth.

Repost.

You mean, you want younger people to vote because they'd agree with your view on things?

16-17 is way too young to take part in moment as important as this. Most adults don't even know the full facts, never mind children.

More easily swayed by fearmongering and propaganda. Absurd proposal.
Original post by Aph

I also wouldn't mind giving up your vote for big defining issues, judging by how quick you are to disclude such a massive portion of the populace.
Reply 87
Original post by Arkasia
I also wouldn't mind giving up your vote for big defining issues, judging by how quick you are to disclude such a massive portion of the populace.

For long lasting issues which they won't really have to deal with its perfectly reasonable to exclude them.
Reply 88
Original post by Aph
For long lasting issues which they won't really have to deal with its perfectly reasonable to exclude them.

How about you exclude the young for not having enough life experience or not having contributed enough.
The future does not belong to brainwashed, parasitical, ignorant, selfish youth. The future belongs to the brave, intelligent and patriotic. People who supported Leave. People like me.
Original post by Aph

What about those with terminal diseases? Or those who die within the next 15 years after the vote? Or those who emigrate to a completely separate part of the world?

The point of democracy is that the entire eligible populace is given the vote, not the populace that fits within criteria set out by those trying to engineer a favourable result.
I'm tired of the older generation being demonised! The yougov poll was based on a sample of 1652 people, it's hardly representative! The YouGov poll also predicted remain winning with 52%.

So glad Vote Leave won! BYEEEE EU!
Original post by Cato the Elder
The future does not belong to brainwashed, parasitical, ignorant, selfish youth. The future belongs to the brave, intelligent and patriotic. People who supported Leave. People like me.

Leave ftw, good lad
Original post by Arkasia
What about those with terminal diseases? Or those who die within the next 15 years after the vote? Or those who emigrate to a completely separate part of the world?

The point of democracy is that the entire eligible populace is given the vote, not the populace that fits within criteria set out by those trying to engineer a favourable result.

This is simply more evidence that those morons do not deserve a vote.
Reply 94
Original post by Arkasia

Those with terminal illnesses I'd also exclude. Teh others you can't account for but the majority won't leave or randomly die.

If that was the case EU immigrants would have been given the vote as would 16 and 17 year olds. And you talk about democracy as if it were a means unto itself which isn't right I belive.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
If 16-18 years old were allowed to vote in the referendum, then it's very likely that remain would have actually won. There's a very clear trend that shows how the elderly are very anti EU while the younger people tend to be pro EU. It's very frustrating for me as a 17 year old to see decisions being made by people who will honestly die within the next 10 years while I am unable to have a say. The future belongs to us, the youth.

Exactly most of them aren't going to experience the consequence of their decision because they'll be dead soon. I am furious that xenophobic pensioners have decided the futures of countless young people, many of whom had no voice. I, as a 16 year old, strongly believe that if we were allowed to vote, the result would be drastically different.
Original post by Cato the Elder
This is simply more evidence that those morons do not deserve a vote.

The point is that everyone eligible 'deserves a vote', regardless of ideals and views.

Original post by Aph
Those with terminal illnesses I'd also exclude. Teh others you can't account for but the majority won't leave or randomly die.

If that was the case EU immigrants would have been given the vote as would 16 and 17 year olds. And you talk about democracy as if it were a means unto itself which isn't right I belive.

So have you missed the massive uproar among deluded teenagers and upset liberals who cry out for this exact thing?
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Repost.

You mean, you want younger people to vote because they'd agree with your view on things?

16-17 is way too young to take part in moment as important as this. Most adults don't even know the full facts, never mind children.

More easily swayed by fearmongering and propaganda. Absurd proposal.

Right because none of us have any idea what any of this is and shouldn't let our tiny child brains worry about our own future. Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply 98
Original post by Arkasia
The point is that everyone eligible 'deserves a vote', regardless of ideals and views.

So have you missed the massive uproar among deluded teenagers and upset liberals who cry out for this exact thing?

I haven't and I don't see how it's deluded.
Original post by febuardo99
Right because none of us have any idea what any of this is and shouldn't let our tiny child brains worry about our own future. Thanks for clearing that up.

Pretty much. Wait for your adult brain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending