The Student Room Group

Referendum vote means nothing!

A referendum isn't legally binding, in the sense that an act of parliament has to be passed, which would go through the house of parliament, lords and committees etc...

Let me give an example of how act couldn't be passed.

MPs are only accountable to their constituents, these are the people who keep them in power. If for each MP the majority of its constituents who voted, voted to remain. Then they have no incentive to pass the act.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cameron is resigning, it is very likely he is going to be replaced by either a eurosceptic colleague or at the very least a Eurosceptic cabinet will take over. Their first action will no doubt be to invoke article 50. The referendum may not be binding in a legal sense, but it certainly is in a political one.
thanks for pointing out the obvious, it will be enacted or there will be riots.

Shows the stupidity of a 2nd referendum means f*ck all
No-one would dare not abide by the result of the referendum. Civil wars have been fought over politicians going against the clear will of their populations.

There is a case for not invoking Article 50 straight away in order to buy more negotiating time.
Reply 4
All these brexiters waving around "Democracy". Lol. as if this was democratic.
I'm being sustained by remain butthurt right now. Keep posting lads
Reply 6
Original post by Aj12
Cameron is resigning, it is very likely he is going to be replaced by either a eurosceptic colleague or at the very least a Eurosceptic cabinet will take over. Their first action will no doubt be to invoke article 50. The referendum may not be binding in a legal sense, but it certainly is in a political one.

No it isn't. That's the point I was making. See the part about constituents.
Reply 7
Original post by Mathemagicien
ikr, we should just listen to democracy when it suits us

Face it, it was won democratically, nobody can stop it now

Why would an MP vote to pass an act his constituency is against?
Reply 8
Original post by govandpolitics
thanks for pointing out the obvious, it will be enacted or there will be riots.

Shows the stupidity of a 2nd referendum means f*ck all

A minority will riot against a 100% democratic process?

Their problem is with false marketing. Should be pissed off at Leave organisation for swindling.
Original post by Armpits
A minority will riot against a 100% democratic process?

Their problem is with false marketing. Should be pissed off at Leave organisation for swindling.

52% of those who voted

People were told it would be binding
Reply 10
Original post by Duncan2012
No-one would dare not abide by the result of the referendum. Civil wars have been fought over politicians going against the clear will of their populations.

There is a case for not invoking Article 50 straight away in order to buy more negotiating time.

MPs have no incentive to vote to pass an Act if the majority of their constituency are against it.

So I wouldn't bet on it.
Look, I am a remain voter, but the result should not stimulate polarisation in this nation. If we can reclaim solidarity, promote social cohesion, then there is a chance the economic ramifications of this matter can be heavily mitigated. Expressing frustration is far more immature than productive, we can only move on and deal with the reverberations. Crucially, this would hold far more tangible benefits conducive to the recovery of our economy.
Original post by drogon
All these brexiters waving around "Democracy". Lol. as if this was democratic.

Are you really that bitter?
Reply 13
Not about common sense.

I didn't even state my position.

I'm just telling you, there is no guarantee you will get what you want.

Do you think the SNP will pass the parliament act because some English constituencies wanted to remain in the UK?
Reply 14
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Look, I am a remain voter, but the result should not stimulate polarisation in this nation. If we can reclaim solidarity, promote social cohesion, then there is a chance the economic ramifications of this matter can be heavily mitigated. Expressing frustration is far more immature than productive, we can only move on and deal with the reverberations. Crucially, this would hold far more tangible benefits conducive to the recovery of our economy.

Doesn't matter what your intentions are no offense.

There is no guarantee such an Act would even be passed when groups like the SNP are firmly against it.
Reply 15
Original post by The Roast
Are you really that bitter?

I find your name a little ironic considering that its brexiters getting violated
Reply 16
Original post by govandpolitics
52% of those who voted

People were told it would be binding

Doesn't matter because MPs are voted in by constituents. So only have to adhere to them

Yeah, that was just a lie.
Reply 17
Perhaps.

Still makes no difference.

MPs are voted in by constituents, and SNP have power in British parliament.

And the majority of MPs are for remain,

So unfortunately it's not a guarantee at all that the Act will be passed.
Officially it's only an opinion poll but in reality it's binding as no govt could ignore it and maintain credibility.

It looks like we're heading for a very polarised country unfortunately.
Reply 19
Even Farage himself a few months ago said a narrow 52-48 vote would mean 'unfinished business' and he'd want a second ref, and that's exactly what we've got, albeit the other way round so I'm guessing he won't be calling for a second ref now, but can you really enact such a significant and long lasting move based on such a narrow and small majority?

Quick Reply

Latest