The Student Room Group

2nd EU Referendum

2nd EU referendum is being petitioned for and its already accumulated the 100,000 petitions needed to be discussed in parliament. What do you think will be the outcome of this? Their reason is due to the low turnout of voters making it non representative.

The key argument is that apparently the EU rules require a 75% turnout for referendums.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by High Stakes
2nd EU referendum is being petitioned for and its already accumulated the 100,000 petitions needed to be discussed in parliament. What do you think will be the outcome of this? Their reason is due to the low turnout of voters making it non representative.

Wasn't there a 69% turnout. Pretty much representative.

Nothing will happen.
David has dismissed it, and it would be a kick in the teeth for democracy, the turnout was good and people need to stop crying this is democracy, sometimes it does not always go in your favor
Original post by AperfectBalance
David has dismissed it, and it would be a kick in the teeth for democracy, the turnout was good and people need to stop crying this is democracy, sometimes it does not always go in your favor

Where has he dismissed it? Can you link me an article please. :smile:
Reply 4
There was a massive turnout compared to what we often get. The result is valid. And I say that as a Remainer who is currently distraught!

I have mixed feelings about the petition because part of me thinks f*** it haha. But no, it won't get taken seriously no matter how many people sign it.

Out of interest was it created pre-results or post-results?
Original post by abc:)
There was a massive turnout compared to what we often get. The result is valid. And I say that as a Remainer who is currently distraught!

I have mixed feelings about the petition because part of me thinks f*** it haha. But no, it won't get taken seriously no matter how many people sign it.

Out of interest was it created pre-results or post-results?

Post but their argument is that it conflicts with EU referendum rules, which requires a 75% turnout or something and so legally it's invalid?
Original post by Scott.

Nothing will happen.

Apparently EU rules require a 75% turnout for a referendum? Would you be able to clarify if that's an actual rule?
Where has he dismissed it? Can you link me an article please. :smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35670906

For a start, David Cameron has said the idea of doing this all again is "for the birds".
Reply 8
Apparently EU rules require a 75% turnout for a referendum? Would you be able to clarify if that's an actual rule?

I'll have to look it up.
I think that there should definately be a 2nd EU referendum with 16+ aloud to vote as well as it affects under 16-17 year old more than the older generations so seems unfair that they were excluded .

We've had governments elected on much lower turnouts. I think this would set a bad precedent. Every time a party gets elected, the opposition supporters could just complain and say it wasn't representational and call for another vote.
Reply 11
The result is indeed valid and it is a majority, but a very small one to enact such a significant and long lasting change and even Farage said a few months ago a 52-48 vote would be 'unfinished business' and he'd call for a second referendum. Obviously it's worked the other way in his favour, but I still think the Remain side has a right to be unhappy if such a small majority decides our EU membership, and if the roles were reversed and we were talking about a narrow Remain victory, Brexiters would be just as pissed and would be rejecting the legitimacy of the result, so I for once agree with Farage that such a narrow result is indeed 'unfinished business'.
It should be that in order for a decision to be made, the vote has to be more than approx 60%
However, given 51% has been taken as the UK leaving, I believe having a second referendum will only decrease the pound further, we really don't need the indecisiveness.
Original post by Scott.

Nothing will happen.

It was 72% if I correctly remember seeing it on BBC news this morning.
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
I think that there should definately be a 2nd EU referendum with 16+ aloud to vote as well as it affects under 16-17 year old more than the older generations so seems unfair that they were excluded .

You mean, you want younger people to vote because they'd agree with your view on things?

16-17 is way too young to take part in moment as important as this. Most adults don't even know the full facts, never mind children.

More easily swayed by fearmongering and propaganda. Absurd proposal.
Reply 15
Original post by The Epicurean
We've had governments elected on much lower turnouts. I think this would set a bad precedent. Every time a party gets elected, the opposition supporters could just complain and say it wasn't representational and call for another vote.

True, but the nature of this vote is certainly somewhat different to a GE, we're talking about a most likely irreversible and long lasting change here and the close result suggests that the British population is by no means unanimous and all agreed that such a significant move is wanted.
Not on your nelly.
Another referendum!? Oh FFS!
Admittedly Brit exiting Eu is a trump-level disaster but we have to live with it now.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
You mean, you want younger people to vote because they'd agree with your view on things?

16-17 is way too young to take part in moment as important as this. Most adults don't even know the full facts, never mind children.

More easily swayed by fearmongering and propaganda. Absurd proposal.

I agree with the fact that there is not enough information to inform people with the real facts everything you seem to read in the media seems to be biased in one way or the other I think that we should be able to have a impartial pro's and con's for leaving and staying and then able to let everyone vote again including 16-17 becuase it will have a huge affect on them.

Plus you don't know my views so it isn't fair to assum i would want under 18's to vote to just benifit my views.

Quick Reply

Latest