The Student Room Group

2nd EU Referendum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scott.
Wasn't there a 69% turnout. Pretty much representative.

Nothing will happen.

71.8%

Original post by High Stakes
Post but their argument is that it conflicts with EU referendum rules, which requires a 75% turnout or something and so legally it's invalid?

Sounds like BS from a bunch of crybabies looking for any way to make their loss invalid. If it was truly 75% then a lot would have been made of it in the build up and aftermath of the referendum.
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
I agree with the fact that there is not enough information to inform people with the real facts everything you seem to read in the media seems to be biased in one way or the other I think that we should be able to have a impartial pro's and con's for leaving and staying and then able to let everyone vote again including 16-17 becuase it will have a huge affect on them.

Plus you don't know my views so it isn't fair to assum i would want under 18's to vote to just benifit my views.

I don't, but I'd bet you would be a remain voter. Like 90% of the 16-17 age group. So it would benefit your views.

Good thing it's never going to happen.
If you want civil war, go ahead and try and ignore the result. I look forward to fighting as Cromwell fought, for liberty against traitors backed by foreign gold.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
I don't, but I'd bet you would be a remain voter. Like 90% of the 16-17 age group. So it would benefit your views.

Good thing it's never going to happen.

I don't think it really matters what my views are i just think that 16-17 year olds should have the choice to vote on issues that affect their futures.
Reply 24
The country has voted, a side has won, let's just get over with it and set sail on this new course
I don't think it really matters what my views are i just think that 16-17 year olds should have the choice to vote on issues that affect their futures.

You wouldn't be debating this if you were happy with the Leave result.

16-17 year old do not know enough. They should not be allowed to vote in any election or referendum.
Reply 26
get some mates you black belt nonce

16-17 year old do not know enough. They should not be allowed to vote in any election or referendum.

Amen.
Reply 28

I agree there shouldn't be another referendum, but your point about 16-17 year olds never being able to vote is invalid. You accuse the other poster of only wanting them to vote because it benefits his/her views, but you only DON'T want them to because it doesn't benefit your view if they do. Not to mention the fact that such a large proportion of the leave voters were pensioners brought up in a far more xenophobic society and hence were pretty much guaranteed out voters who were never going to look for evidence to support their inate views
2nd EU referendum is being petitioned for and its already accumulated the 100,000 petitions needed to be discussed in parliament. What do you think will be the outcome of this? Their reason is due to the low turnout of voters making it non representative.

The key argument is that apparently the EU rules require a 75% turnout for referendums.

There isn't a 75% require. ~72% is a high turnout.

You're just going to have to deal with the fact we're leaving the EU.
Original post by bcc97
I agree there shouldn't be another referendum, but your point about 16-17 year olds never being able to vote is invalid. You accuse the other poster of only wanting them to vote because it benefits his/her views, but you only DON'T want them to because it doesn't benefit your view if they do. Not to mention the fact that such a large proportion of the leave voters were pensioners brought up in a far more xenophobic society and hence were pretty much guaranteed out voters who were never going to look for evidence to support their inate views

I don't want them to have the vote because it is not just nor proper.

Xenophobia doesn't have anything to do with it. Or is it xenophobic to be a Leave supporter now?
This vote had one of the best turn outs ever so it was pretty representative.
A second referendum is not going to happen. The people have voted and this is the decision that has been made. A second referendum isn't going to change that.
Anyway, do you really think the EU would let us back? It would appear the Eu is going to collapse since France, Italy and Holland now want out too.
Reply 32
I don't want them to have the vote because it is not just nor proper.

Xenophobia doesn't have anything to do with it. Or is it xenophobic to be a Leave supporter now?

You're yet to give an actual reason why they shouldn't have the vote - WHY is it not "just nor proper" for members of the most affected demographic to get a vote? Seems quite the opposite to me. And I didn't realise that at the age of 18 you magically become enlightened and immune to all propaganda, as you seem to be saying.

As for xenophobia, no I did not say that it's xenophobic to be a leave supporter - there are many valid reasons to vote leave - but I must congratulate you on your excellent spin on my words - you should be a Brexit campaigner yourself! I simply said that a not insignificant proportion of the Leave vote was composed of xenophobes, and I'd say that their votes are no more valid, and arguably less so, than 16-17 year olds.

Last but not least, fantastic dodging of the actual point I made. I look forward to another logically incoherent response!
2nd EU referendum is being petitioned for and its already accumulated the 100,000 petitions needed to be discussed in parliament. What do you think will be the outcome of this? Their reason is due to the low turnout of voters making it non representative.

The key argument is that apparently the EU rules require a 75% turnout for referendums.

Nothing should happen in my opinion
Original post by bcc97
You're yet to give an actual reason why they shouldn't have the vote - WHY is it not "just nor proper" for members of the most affected demographic to get a vote? Seems quite the opposite to me. And I didn't realise that at the age of 18 you magically become enlightened and immune to all propaganda, as you seem to be saying.

As for xenophobia, no I did not say that it's xenophobic to be a leave supporter - there are many valid reasons to vote leave - but I must congratulate you on your excellent spin on my words - you should be a Brexit campaigner yourself! I simply said that a not insignificant proportion of the Leave vote was composed of xenophobes, and I'd say that their votes are no more valid, and arguably less so, than 16-17 year olds.

Last but not least, fantastic dodging of the actual point I made. I look forward to another logically incoherent response!

As I've said, most know next to nothing about the issue or it's ramifications and are more easily swayed by peer pressure, propaganda and scaremongering. That's why they shouldn't be able to. At 18 most have a general understanding of geopolitics, economics etc. Although most students are retarded and fall for the same tactics, so no, over 18 year olds are not immune.

Being against mass immigration (which I assume is how you class a xenophobe) does not make one a xenophobe. It is a completely reasonable judgement that millions of people hold. A tiny minority of vote Leave would have been BNP/EDL types, and they can vote however they like. Not your concern.

Isn't it nap time yet? Or are you going to cry more over the result?
Get over it. British people have decided to leave the EU. Doing a second referendum with 16-17 year olds voting would fix the result of the referendum, ruin our reputation as a country and our democracy.

Spoiler

Original post by AperfectBalance
David has dismissed it, and it would be a kick in the teeth for democracy, the turnout was good and people need to stop crying this is democracy, sometimes it does not always go in your favor

Well, the EU referendum wasn't legally binding.
Reply 37
As I've said, most know next to nothing about the issue or it's ramifications and are more easily swayed by peer pressure, propaganda and scaremongering. That's why they shouldn't be able to. At 18 most have a general understanding of geopolitics, economics etc. Although most students are retarded and fall for the same tactics, so no, over 18 year olds are not immune.

Being against mass immigration (which I assume is how you class a xenophobe) does not make one a xenophobe. It is a completely reasonable judgement that millions of people hold. A tiny minority of vote Leave would have been BNP/EDL types, and they can vote however they like. Not your concern.

Isn't it nap time yet? Or are you going to cry more over the result?

You haven't yet said WHY they have a lesser understanding. You can't just randomly claim that 17 year olds are more easily swayed by propaganda/scaremongering than normal - that's just your opinion, and there's absolutely no grounds to believe that it's correct, or if there is, you're yet to supply them. Even if they were, there's been just as much scaremongering and propaganda from the Remain and the Leave campaigns so it shouldn't make a difference. Although thank you for agreeing with me that people who are over 18 are not immune to it... Not entirely sure how that supports your point but oh well...

In terms of how I define a xenophobe, I'd call the signs that have been stuck up around various homes in my neighbourhood and city saying "Vote Leave to get rid of the Pakis" etc as xenophobic, although you may well feel differently...

Lastly, I've already said that I don't think there should be a second referendum and that I think there are many valid reasons to have voted leave. What I took issue with was your seemingly blind discrimination against the younger generation, and your hypocrisy with regard to "only wanting them to vote because it supports your views".
Reply 38
I think a second referendum would well and truly cause civil unrest. A decision has been made - if other countries (such as Scotland) want to pursue otherwise, time will tell.
According to The Telegraph, the turnout was 72.2%, whereas in the 1975 referendum on British membership of the then European Economic Community, it was a turnout of 64.6%. Food for thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that there should definately be a 2nd EU referendum with 16+ aloud to vote as well as it affects under 16-17 year old more than the older generations so seems unfair that they were excluded .

"Aloud".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending