The Student Room Group

I feel like I wasted 4 years

I have just finished my GCSEs and for some reason I just feel like what was the point of all of that work?! I only need GCSEs to get into sixth form and I was reading something and it says GCSEs don't really matter.
Do you think they matter?
I just feel a bit like what was the point of all of that because I'm going to do most subjects again. :frown:
Yeah, exam season is heavy and all of our adrenaline has suddenly stopped. You'll probably feel like a nihilist, but thats all normal and you'll eventually be glad to be alive soon.:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Yeah, exam season is heavy and all of our adrenaline has suddenly stopped. You'll probably feel like a nihilist, but thats all normal and you'll eventually be glad to be alive soon.:biggrin:

ok that's good :biggrin:
They dont really matter in terms of once you have A-levels they are seen as more important the same way as when you have a degree that is seen as more valuable then A-levels.

That is not to say getting really good GCSEs is a waste of time in the slightest most universities now look at GCSEs to consider applicants so having good GCSEs is only beneficial.
so how are you going to get into the sixth form? by passing your GCSEs and meeting the requirements unless you dont want to do A levels or college? :erm:
since the government are changing AS Levels, gcse grades will become more important for university admission.
GCSEs are actually crucial. They open up the doors to college which opens up a door to university. The only people I've ever heard saying that GCSEs don't matter are the ones that left school at 16 with not a single C in any subject.

Such blog posts are only made to make you not feel bad if you feel like you didn't do well or if you didn't get the grades but after all, they are important. Even if after school you are not looking into carrying on with eduction, GCSEs still are crucial for eg. Apprenticeships as some will ask for basic GCSEs at a minimum C grade (maths and English language).

When it comes to work, it's known that a lot of employers will ask for maths and English and sometimes even some other GCSEs at C and above.

They are your very first qualifications that will most certainly put you at a much higher position than someone who does not have them

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TSRFT8
They dont really matter in terms of once you have A-levels they are seen as more important the same way as when you have a degree that is seen as more valuable then A-levels.

That is not to say getting really good GCSEs is a waste of time in the slightest most universities now look at GCSEs to consider applicants so having good GCSEs is only beneficial.

Oh ok. I don't know if I got good grades or not though. I think I got about 2 A*s and maybe 2 As. The rest could be Bs and Cs which I'm not sure is good or not
Reply 8
If you want a job during sixth form then good gcses are gonna help you out
Reply 9
oh ok:frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Oh ok. I don't know if I got good grades or not though. I think I got about 2 A*s and maybe 2 As. The rest could be Bs and Cs which I'm not sure is good or not

most people don't get A*'s at gcse and tsr will tell you these grades are ' ok ' when in reality when it comes to uni unless you wanna do medicine or law then you're not going to be frowned upon for getting a c or a b.

I got a C in gcse graphics for example - at the time i was feeling bad but now i think about it, what does it mean in the grand scheme of things
Original post by katherine9609
GCSEs are actually crucial. They open up the doors to college which opens up a door to university. The only people I've ever heard saying that GCSEs don't matter are the ones that left school at 16 with not a single C in any subject.

Such blog posts are only made to make you not feel bad if you feel like you didn't do well or if you didn't get the grades but after all, they are important. Even if after school you are not looking into carrying on with eduction, GCSEs still are crucial for eg. Apprenticeships as some will ask for basic GCSEs at a minimum C grade (maths and English language).

When it comes to work, it's known that a lot of employers will ask for maths and English and sometimes even some other GCSEs at C and above.

They are your very first qualifications that will most certainly put you at a much higher position than someone who does not have them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thanks for this. But the blog post was written by someone who I assume is quite clever though :s-smilie: but it might be wrong I don't know. Do you think I will be ok with a couple of A*s and a coupe of As and a few Bs and Cs then???
Original post by fefssdf
most people don't get A*'s at gcse and tsr will tell you these grades are ' ok ' when in reality when it comes to uni unless you wanna do medicine or law then you're not going to be frowned upon for getting a c or a b.

I got a C in gcse graphics for example - at the time i was feeling bad but now i think about it, what does it mean in the grand scheme of things

ok yayayaya :biggrin::tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
ok thanks for this. But the blog post was written by someone who I assume is quite clever though :s-smilie: but it might be wrong I don't know. Do you think I will be ok with a couple of A*s and a coupe of As and a few Bs and Cs then???

Most people tend to only end up with C's and B's at the most so with A*'s and A's as well as Bs and C's you'll definitely be okay. Any grades for GCSEs that are C and above are good grades after all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katherine9609
Most people tend to only end up with C's and B's at the most so with A*'s and A's as well as Bs and C's you'll definitely be okay. Any grades for GCSEs that are C and above are good grades after all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok that's brilliant! thanks :redface:
Original post by fefssdf
If you want a job during sixth form then good gcses are gonna help you out

OOOH ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending