The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2260
Original post by Chimaera
Oh thank god. 🙏🏻 I passedddd

Do you think Imperial would take a 3,3? They asked for 1,2 :x

I genuinely don't know and wouldn't want to comment on something I know nothing about, sorry.

Would my A2 results bear any weight in their decision, assuming I met/exceeded the A*A*AA requirement?

I believe so, yes.
Original post by Zacken
I genuinely don't know and wouldn't want to comment on something I know nothing about, sorry.

I believe so, yes.

Okay, thank you so much! :smile:
Any idea how many marks would be lost for Q8 if you just assume g(x) = whatever they gave and showed it fitted the relation given?
Is there by any chance an official Cambridge maths offer holders' thread?
Original post by Zacken
Heh? Talk about underestimating.

17 + 17 + 10 + 15 + 4 + 5 = pretty good 1.

Huh, are parts (i) and (iii) of Q1 really that valuable?
Reply 2265
Original post by 16Characters....
Huh, are parts (i) and (iii) of Q1 really that valuable?

No, but like you said, you got tantalisingly close to finishing off part (ii) and picked up virtually all the method marks bar two or three. Even if not, you've got a 6-ish mark buffer before your chances of a 1 go that low. I think you're pretty much into Camb at this point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Loool imagine my results are like 2,3,2... Makes absolutely no sense.

Anyway off to study for my 2 hardest a level exams... congrats to everyone for surviving STEP, hopefully will see a ton of you at Cambridge!
Original post by matthewdjones
Any idea how many marks would be lost for Q8 if you just assume g(x) = whatever they gave and showed it fitted the relation given?

I think it possibly depends on if you did the next part with h(x) or not. If you did it, it suggests that you could have done the part with g(x) properly if you'd known you had to, so they might be more generous than with people like me who had no idea how to do it properly.
Original post by Zacken
No, but like you said, you got tantalisingly close to finishing off part (ii) and picked up virtually all the method marks bar two or three. Even if not, you've got a 6-ish mark buffer before your chances of a 1 go that low. I think you're pretty much into Camb at this point.

Hopefully :-) How'd you find III?
Reply 2269
Original post by 16Characters....
Hopefully :-) How'd you find III?

Thought it was broadly okay-ish. Better than II anyhow. I'm fairly sure I've got 1, 2, 1 at this stage. Makes for a pretty *****y summer where I can only hope that the summer pool has mercy on me. But oh well, c'est la vie.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I think it possibly depends on if you did the next part with h(x) or not. If you did it, it suggests that you could have done the part with g(x) properly if you'd known you had to, so they might be more generous than with people like me who had no idea how to do it properly.

What you have said seems fair. How many marks do you think that part was ?
Original post by Zacken
Thought it was broadly okay-ish. Better than II anyhow. I'm fairly sure I've got 1, 2, 1 at this stage. Makes for a pretty *****y summer where I can only hope that the summer pool has mercy on me. But oh well, c'est la vie.

Best of luck. Even if you do "only" get 121 I am sure they will work out from your scripts that you are a "keeper".
Original post by Chimaera
Could someone please help me predict? :x

Spoiler

Thank you!!

Sounds like a 3 tbh. Did you not start any other questions?
Would anyone mind giving me a rough estimate
1- Did i) and iii). Made a good stab at ii) at simplifying but didn't reach a point where I could use by parts to get the result
2- Got everything right I think. Iffy with T though because the y coordinate contained a term with p in...so how is it independent of p?
3- I did it all but I felt like I was no where near general enough. I think I reasoned Q(x) has a factor of (x+1) wrong by just saying Q(x)^2 must be (x+1)^2 therefore its +-(x+1). Then using the fact that Q(x)=x+1 to get a degree 3 numerator I reasoned P must be degree 2. Found P(x) no problem. Similar story with ii) argued that Q(x) must be +-(x+1) therefore argued P(X) must be a constant and then got a contradiction
7- Justified the very first part correctly and thats it
8- Did all of it. But I assumed g(x)=2x/(x^2+1).
9- got the Extension and the Tension in RX correctly. Made a stab at getting the equation of motion and getting the other two tensions (said T QX =T RX). Algebra looked too daunting to do F=ma so I just wrote what I would do and what omega would turn out to be .

Any ideas?
(edited 7 years ago)
What you have said seems fair. How many marks do you think that part was ?

Not really sure, but I imagine quite a lot. Maybe 5-8?
1- Did i) and iii). Made a good stab at ii) at simplifying but didn't reach a point where I could use by parts to get the result
2- Got everything right I think. Iffy with T though because the y coordinate contained a term with a in...so how is it independent of p?
3- I did it all but I felt like I was no where near general enough. I think I reasoned Q(x) has a factor of (x+1) wrong by just saying Q(x)^2 must be (x+1)^2 therefore its +-(x+1). Then using the fact that Q(x)=x+1 to get a degree 3 numerator I reasoned P must be degree 2. Found P(x) no problem. Similar story with ii) argued that Q(x) must be +-(x+1) therefore argued P(X) must be a constant and then got a contradiction
9- got the Extension and the sexual tension in RX correctly. Made a stab at getting the equation of motion and getting the other two tensions (said T QX =T RX). Algebra looked too daunting to do F=ma so I just wrote what I would do and what omega would turn out to be .

Any ideas?

For 2, I think that's right because a is just a constant, and so is independent of p.
Original post by sweeneyrod
For 2, I think that's right because a is just a constant, and so is independent of p.

sorry i meant p not a in the y coordinate
Reply 2277
2- Got everything right I think. Iffy with T though because the y coordinate contained a term with a in...so how is it independent of p?
9- got the Extension and the Tension in RX correctly. Made a stab at getting the equation of motion and getting the other two tensions (said T QX =T RX). Algebra looked too daunting to do F=ma so I just wrote what I would do and what omega would turn out to be .

Any ideas?

15 + 18 + 12 + 3 + 12 + Q9 = 60 + Q9 = fairly confident this is a 1.
Original post by Zacken
15 + 18 + 12 + 3 + 12 + Q9 = 60 + Q9 = fairly confident this is a 1.

Thank you very much. Do you really think the g(x) thing was 8 marks? (I noted you said you made a similar mistake in assuming you could just show it satisfied)
Reply 2279
Thank you very much. Do you really think the g(x) thing was 8 marks? (I noted you said you made a similar mistake in assuming you could just show it satisfied)

Probably a bit less than 8 marks, I think, but I'm being harsh.

Quick Reply

Latest