The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
No, you see those sufficiently concerned about this outcome to sign a petition that sadly is never going to succeed are trying to not be stranded in a country inhabited by intolerant people.

No it isn't even remotely close to the case. It's them trying to force their beliefs and principle through.
Guys this is stupid as heck. Leave one fair and square. We don't need a second referendum for the butt hurt remain side. Just grow a pair and accept you lost. You can't always win a vote, thats the point of why there even was a vote in the first place. Its obvious that if over 17 million voted to leave, that people were serious about it.
Look, I am a remain voter, but the result should not stimulate polarisation in this nation. If we can reclaim solidarity, promote social cohesion, then there is a chance the economic ramifications of this matter can be heavily mitigated. Expressing frustration is far more immature than productive, we can only move on and deal with the reverberations. Crucially, this would hold far more tangible benefits conducive to the recovery of our economy.
Original post by atom y humber
No it isn't even remotely close to the case. It's them trying to force their beliefs and principle through.

No, forcing it through would be going beyond the boundaries of what is allowed as part of our democratic process. They just started a petition.
Reply 104
This sounds like something social justice warriors would do.
Original post by Shiba_Inu
Guys this is stupid as heck. Leave one fair and square. We don't need a second referendum for the butt hurt remain side. Just grow a pair and accept you lost. You can't always win a vote, thats the point of why there even was a vote in the first place. Its obvious that if over 17 million voted to leave, that people were serious about it.

As I have pointed out above due to the nature of the whether in the South East and flooding on the mainline out of Waterloo- the claim leave won fair and square is more debatable than it should be.
Surely there is a margin of error of x%?

I don't think a 2% win either way should be sufficient to determine the result of such a referendum.

Secondly, this referendum vote means absolutely nothing.

Check this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4184577&p=66074851&posted=1#post66074851
Look, essentially I am a remain voter, but the result should not stimulate polarisation in this nation. If we can reclaim solidarity, promote social cohesion, then there is a chance the economic ramifications of this matter can be heavily mitigated. Expressing frustration is far more immature than productive, we can only move on and deal with the reverberations. Crucially, this would hold far more tangible benefits conducive to the recovery of our economy.
Sore losers - the petition should be immediately dismissed and the result of the original referendum stand. Only one place on earth re-runs referendums to get the 'right result' and we've just voted to leave it.
Original post by Midgeymoo17
Personally I would be happy with that. Its not the inference of a second referendum I would want. It was the call in the petition to parliament to consider the statistical significance of the result- particularly in light of the factors effecting the South East.

The defecit may have been smaller but I doubt 1.3 million remain voters were affected by the floods.

I also doubt whether if 'remain' had won the referendum, you'd still be calling for this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
The defecit may have been smaller but I doubt 1.3 million remain voters were affected by the floods.

I also doubt whether if 'remain' had won the referendum, you'd still be calling for this.

I think you would be surprised at the number of Voters actually affected. At least three polling stations had to actually be physically moved with no warning voters. Waterloo Station (main line to South East ) had to close due to an overcrowding from stranded travellers. One polling station shut on the day with no alternative location for voters to vote at. Granted you probably would not have got 1.3 million- but estimates do rrun easily higher than can be considered acceptable for the result to be considered completely fair and democratic.

And yes you are probably right because if remain had won I would probably not have looked beyond the end of my nose about how fair the vote was as I quite frankly still have 4 A level exams to worry about. However, if someone had alerted to me to an injustice of that scale on the leave side I would be equally concerned about the fairness of the result. .
There should be a petition for fair age limits. If people below the age of 18 cannot vote, then why is it that people aged 65+ are allowed to vote for something that will affect a future they won't even be a part of for much longer?
Hopefully they will trigger Article 50 within the week.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
There should be a petition for fair age limits. If people below the age of 18 cannot vote, then why is it that people aged 65+ are allowed to vote for something that will affect a future they won't even be a part of for much longer?

This was debated and decided in Parliament last year. MPs voted 303 to 253 to reject a proposal for 16 and 17 year olds to vote in the referendum.
Yes, I for one am looking forward to October when we'll have a Prime Minister no-one voted for, a House of Lords stuffed with people no-one voted for and a Queen who, unsurprisingly, no-one voted for either.

You don't vote for a pm you vote for an mp to represent your constituency
No, forcing it through would be going beyond the boundaries of what is allowed as part of our democratic process. They just started a petition.

What is the end goal of the petition?
Original post by rockrunride
It's not perfect

What's better?
Original post by joecphillips
What's better?

A system where the informed make informed choices
Original post by joecphillips
You don't vote for a pm you vote for an mp to represent your constituency

We all know that alongside voting for an MP you're also putting that party leader forward as PM.
Original post by atom y humber
What is the end goal of the petition?

Another referendum. I think it actually probably says that somewhere on the petition...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending