The Student Room Group

Self harm

How can I cover my arm? I was getting stressed this morning and my boyfriend was making me upset and I got so angry and upset that I self-harmed and now it's really red and it's at the bottom of my hand right next to my hand so it's visible and easy to see. I've got make up power but I don't know if there's anything else I can do to stop it and I'm 13 and have school on Monday and pe 😔
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Sweetheart, you need to never do that again. I've been in that dark dark place and (although fully recovered now) know all the wicked tricks. My advice is to not hide it, and people will just assume it's a scratch from a wall or pet, and that's all they need to presume or know. If you cover it up, you will think it's okay to carry on and keep covering up. DO NOT. This is NOT okay. Whenever you get angry or upset, grab a piece of paper and scribble a pen on it as hard as you can and get all your emotions out into the scribbles on the paper, the energy you use will calm you down. Do NOT touch your skin harmfully again, you're such a young and beautiful girl and you're stronger than that. Tell someone if it's too much.

May god bless you, I hope you're okay. <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Chloe101x
How can I cover my arm? I was getting stressed this morning and my boyfriend was making me upset and I got so angry and upset that I self-harmed and now it's really red and it's at the bottom of my hand right next to my hand so it's visible and easy to see. I've got make up power but I don't know if there's anything else I can do to stop it and I'm 13 and have school on Monday and pe 😔

For now cover it up with something like a ribbon, glove or bracelet. Try to avoid putting make-up on it while it is still healing (assuming it is a woulnd not a bruise). Also make sure you are keeping it clean so it can heal better. You could also just put a plaster on it and lie about why (cut your hand on a can or cutting veg or something).

Long term you really need to get some help. I know it's hard but it's likely to only get worse so it's best to get help as soon as you can so it's easier to work on stopping.
Childline is a good site to visit along with mind.org. I would suggest you talk to somebody about it too. If you are comfortable telling your family it would be great, but I realise they are often the people you'd be most embarassed or scared to tell.
If there is a teacher you have a decent relationship with or trust more than others you could tell them. It may be a good idea to tell your PE teacher actually. I would suggest telling somebody a school because they can look out for you in situations like this and give you notes for if you can't do something (best if you see somebody like head of year or head teacher from this standpoint).
Ultimately the best person to tell is a doctor. You can make up a reason for an appointment if you want or even go into town "shopping" and go to the walk-in clinic. They will be the best equipped people to help you. There is a chance that since you are techincally a child still they will need to tell your guardian (parents I assume), but you can ask about that before you tellthem.

I know it is hard to open up and ask for help, but it will be good for you. I was terrified of telling anybody when I was in that sort of place and my whole life started to turn into trying to hide it. It took so much effort and the whole time my mental health was getting worse and worse. Eventually I realised I would have to see a doctor. I was absolutely terrified and it took me months to work up the courage but it was worth it. They treated me like a normal person not like some crazy freak like I thought they would and they told me where to go for help. I got refered to CAMHS (child mental health service) and from there things really started looking up. It took a while for me to trust my therapist but once I did we worked through my issues and eventually Ididn't have to ide anything because there was nothing to hide anymore.

I really hope you start feeling better and work up the courage to get some help. PM me if you would like. :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much my friend made me start doing It at my other school when I went out with this guy who I really liked and she started pretending to like him and all sorts so she cut my arm and after that it became addictive so I kept doing it and I had to put my arm in a bandage because it was really bad and my mum knew my friend hurt herself too and my mum saw a little cut at the top of the bandage she saw it and she wasn't bothered and told me just do it and I moved schools and before I did my mum told me to let my arm heal and so it did and that was about 3 months ago now but I've done it worse now to the point where it's all bleeding and I can't tell my mum because she'll be mad and I can't tell anyone else either
BF at 13? When I was your age I was more concerned about what I'd have for dinner. Honestly break it up, you will find someone better. Oh and just wrap a bandage around
Reply 5
Ditch the boyfriend, ditch the "friend". Negativity will only make you feel negative. I surrounded myself with people who weren't good for me and didn't give me the happiness I needed to get through it, but I seeked out new friendships and I'm so happy now as I never ever thought I would be 5 years ago. It's like drugs; it's very addictive. And similarly, the only way to get over it is to stop, completely. "Cold turkey" as they say. Get rid of anything sharp and wear tight clothing so you can't roll your sleeves up. Please. Don't ever think about it again. Seek solace in a school or any other chaplain or counsellor, keep yourself busy and take up an interest, and do the piece of paper thing. Or, if you don't want to see a counsellor, find a support group online where others can help you in the same situation.

Please keep strong.

God bless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Use a sweatband? They'd allow that for PE too.

Okay honey, what I suggest you do is put a watch or a bracelet on, and if anything pretend it is a scratch on your arm. Disinfect it so that you don't get any nasty bacteria in it. Most importantly, please don't do it again, and if you get urges to do it, please speak to someone. Whilst it may be humiliating there are people out there that care about your wellbeing, such as parents, teachers and doctors. Getting help is the best thing you can do for yourself, to avoid a horrible spiral down to a place worse than where you are already. Getting help has made me be clean for over two years! Please if there's one thing you do, get help, because I was the same age as you when I started and now I regret it so much with permanent scars on my body that I feel the need to hide. If you need any help feel free to message me x

Quick Reply

Latest