The Student Room Group

Why leaving was a good idea

[video="youtube;5vpo9qzsfL4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpo9qzsfL4&ab_channel=SargonofAkkad[/video]

Hey, here's an idea, watch the video before you comment!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No it chose fear over rational thinking.

I would hate to say most leave supporters are racist but a large proportion are and their reasons were solely to do with immigration with no second thought to other issues which would arise.
Original post by TSRFT8
No it chose fear over rational thinking.

I would hate to say most leave supporters are racist but a large proportion are and their reasons were solely to do with immigration with no second thought to other issues which would arise.

Did you even watch the video mate?
Original post by TercioOfParma
Did you even watch the video mate?

What video, its a picture? Maybe my phone is slow.
I liked it!
I feel a lot more afraid now seeing the pound crash, hearing rumours of companies leaving, knowing Scotland will leave soon than I ever did in the EU.

Also we didn't chose freedom over fear. Voters gave into the lies and demonising of the Leave campaign. What freedom do we have? Because it isn't to use the money for the NHS like Nige said or are we free of economic stability? Was that the plan all along?
Original post by elitepower
I feel a lot more afraid now seeing the pound crash, hearing rumours of companies leaving, knowing Scotland will leave soon than I ever did in the EU.

Also we didn't chose freedom over fear. Voters gave into the lies and demonising of the Leave campaign. What freedom do we have? Because it isn't to use the money for the NHS like Nige said or are we free of economic stability? Was that the plan all along?

Again, watch the video.

Take a chill pill, remain side lied even more. We'll be fine.
Reply 8
We can eliminate the inefficiencies caused by trade diversion and face world prices. Moreover, we can now move to unilateral free trade, doing away with the common external tariff and other EU imposed protection, which should put downward pressure on the costs of imports and therefore prices, through the downward pressure cheaper imports put on production costs. There has been a change in future expectations given we are leaving the EU and it's natural that the stock market and currency will be volatile during this time, we need to wait and see how these indicators stabilise as the economy reestablishes before we can make any useful inferences. Right now we are still in the EU, none of the underlying features of the economy have changed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ckfeister
Take a chill pill, remain side lied even more. We'll be fine.

The economy is screwed. Scotland is leaving. Major companies are bailing. No, sorry - this is a huge mistake that needs to be corrected immediately.

I will chill then but I will not stop until the massive damage Leave has done to this country is fixed. I want to live somewhere with a future, not the xenophobic past.
The economy is screwed. Scotland is leaving. Major companies are bailing. No, sorry - this is a huge mistake that needs to be corrected immediately.

I will chill then but I will not stop until the massive damage Leave has done to this country is fixed. I want to live somewhere with a future, not the xenophobic past.

Have you seen how quickly the FTSE has bounced back? The pound is rising too.

We lose billions. How are we going to bounce back from Scotland leaving? No company will invest in somewhere so shaky and others are starting to leave. The pound rising isn't good enough for the massive plummet off a cliff it took.
No it chose fear over fear because that's brutally all either campaign did, peddled fantasies designed to scare people rather than talking about the actual issues and consequences either way.
We lose billions. How are we going to bounce back from Scotland leaving? No company will invest in somewhere so shaky and others are starting to leave. The pound rising isn't good enough for the massive plummet off a cliff it took.

Thats why we wait for things to stabilize, and tolerate the difficulties until then. It's not the end of the world, we are still the 6th biggest economy on earth.

Some countries would consider a weakening currency to be a good thing since it in theory increases exports, reduces imports and hence has a positive effect on GDP.

The next two years will be bumpy yes, EU will be sweeped out of our streets, UK will stand alone again but will trade. It will stablize as currency bounces up and down, making us more competitive as lower currency, wage boost as currency is LOWER, Scotland won't leave because they are -1 from majority, meaning we got 2020 to do a deal before it even sparks. Wales is set is stay, so is England... London won't be independent thats an easy saying.

When we do trade deals with the REST OF THE WORLD, EU is a declining region we will grow and stablize back to what we was, because they are DEVELOPING/GROWING economies we'll be better off than EU in growth, minding our own business. However, in short term we'll have a bumpy ride.

As currency goes down, wages will increase ofcourse not right now but in 2-3 years at a fast rate to get back to $ to £ before brexit, then boom as demand grows as immigration wouldn't be a problem... most likely Boris Johnson doing the deal and he won't accept anything with free movement of people, or regulations.
Thats why we wait for things to stabilize, and tolerate the difficulties until then. It's not the end of the world, we are still the 6th biggest economy on earth.

Its not the end of the world, but we dropped - we dropped for no reason other than people's fears and its cost us majorly. This will take time to recover from, additional work we now have to do. Unnecessary work, companies put off. This didn't have to happen.

Also the UK is dead. Scotland's gone now. There's no undoing that damage - they are going because of stupidity.
Original post by Liamnut
Some countries would consider a weakening currency to be a good thing since it in theory increases exports, reduces imports and hence has a positive effect on GDP.

Screw those countries. We weren't in a fantastic position, it was alright but now we are terrible. This is horrible. The pound weakened because people were afraid and now we are paying for it.

Rising from the biggest fall of any currency in history, yep... we haven't even left the EU yet.
Original post by JordanL_
Rising from the biggest fall of any currency in history, yep... we haven't even left the EU yet.

Better than being controlled by an unelected body. The speed that you would throw away your freedom for trinkets and then whine when others don't want the same disturbs me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending