The Student Room Group

Resonance and Damping

I was doing a question about resonance of sound box connecting to a tuning fork. It asks why the sound lasts for a shorter time with sound box than if the tuning fork is struck identically without the sound box.
Is it because the sound box dampens the vibration of tuning fork, or because due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers vibrational energy at higher rate to air, or these two reasons are actually the same thing? So does it mean that resonator will always dampen the driving oscillator? I'm quite confused between the idea of energy transfer in resonance and damping. Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by tgygt
I was doing a question about resonance of sound box connecting to a tuning fork. It asks why the sound lasts for a shorter time with sound box than if the tuning fork is struck identically without the sound box.
Is it because the sound box dampens the vibration of tuning fork, or because due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers vibrational energy at higher rate to air, or these two reasons are actually the same thing? So does it mean that resonator will always dampen the driving oscillator? I'm quite confused between the idea of energy transfer in resonance and damping. Thanks in advance:smile:

As you have said, The sound box dampens the vibrations of the fork. This causes a larger transfer of energy (than without the sound box) from the fork to the surroundings, so the total energy of the fork decreases more rapidly and the oscillations die out more quickly.

The amplitude of the resulting sound is higher due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers energy to larger volume of air.

Quick Reply

Latest