The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140

The first reply to that tweet.

And DC also said he wouldn't resign as PM...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midgeymoo17
I never called anyone racist. I criticised people who ridiculed the petition and rightly so as the petition was created nearly two months before the result- but clearly most people on here who voted leave were incapable of reading the date or understanding what it was asking for. The petition was actually asking for Government to consider how representative the result is likely to be and to apply the same conditions to both sides. The incident in the South East, however, made the request of this petition more significant.

Now to the comment you made about not always getting your own way. Of all people I probably someone who understands this most as life has dealt me more than my fair share of challenges. So remember the phrase do not judge a book by its cover.

I'm sorry if I offended you in some way I am annoyed at all the people who don't realise that this is the choice of the people and are basically saying take the vote away from the poor.
Babies who cry
The petition's absurd.

No side will get a 60:40 win in the foreseeable future and we'll just have referendums for eternity that paralyses the country.
bad losers everywhere we won fair and square democracy is beautiful grow a pair and accept it
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

I'm sorry but a lifelong punishment seems a bit extreme for those of us that did vote and are now being punished because others didn't or now regret their votes.

Leaving the EU is a massive deal, it was a small margin, we should be absolutely sure what happens is thought out - not just a lesson for people.
145.000 so far, wish it was at least 16 million..... :smug:

Hope we get a 2nd as said it's so so close. Like leadership votes when too close, a 2nd vote is done so should we be allowed on a referendum!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY

Hope we get a 2nd as said it's so so close. Like leadership votes when too close, a 2nd vote is done so should we be allowed on a referendum!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasnt that close.
Reply 148
it wont happen. Doesnt change the fact that the leave campaign aka project hate played a dirty game.
Original post by offhegoes
Another referendum. I think it actually probably says that somewhere on the petition...

Can't tell if you're been purposely facetious or just stupid.

I'll leave you to it.
Original post by drogon
it wont happen. Doesnt change the fact that the leave campaign aka project hate played a dirty game.

Both side played dirty.
Original post by atom y humber
Can't tell if you're been purposely facetious or just stupid.

I'll leave you to it.

Well, what else do you want to know? It's asking for another referendum. It isn't rocket science.
Reply 152
Original post by atom y humber
Both side played dirty.

Leave campaign was far worse
Original post by SMEGGGY

Posted from TSR Mobile

It needs >100,000 signatures to even have a chance of being debated in Parliament, it's not the case that >100,000 signatures and it definitely will be.
Original post by joecphillips
I'm sorry if I offended you in some way I am annoyed at all the people who don't realise that this is the choice of the people and are basically saying take the vote away from the poor.

No worries- I am sure I done the same at some point. Personally I have no problem with a Brexit result. I respect the result and actually think that although Brexit it going to be a long tough road could be quite an exciting adventure for this country. No I think your right a lot of pro remain on here are basically wanting to take the vote away from the poor which I highly object to. Personally I think poor people are equally capable of holding strong valid opinions which should be fairly represented. Whilst i do recognise the concerns that due to social economic influences it tends to be poor people who vote which a less informed opinion (which is not really ideal), as someone pointed out this morning that one of the areas of Wales where Brexit was strongest was actually a village where infrastructure was almost entirely built on EU funds, Likewise cannot fathom why Birmingham Voted Brexit, however the issue here is not whether poor people should have the vote. The issue is actually how effectively our government engages and explains the matter to the voter, an issue which does actually affect all classes- but disproportionately the poor due to the social ecumenic influences.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
- let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously

harsh lesson to learn this way
Let's keep holding referendums until we get the result you want then stop.
Original post by Tempest II
So you'd ban some of the most experienced individuals in society from voting? Men & women who have often fought for their country, paid taxes & worked their whole lives. Whereas most 16-21 year olds are still a drain on society at that point in their lives.

Sound logic.

Maybe we should just make euthanasia mandatory & kill off all pensioners as they're draining the NHS & care systems too?

Paying taxes and working for a number of years does not mean that they are experienced in modern politics or know what is best for the future of the younger generation who will have to pay the consequences. Considering many of their responses to modern day issues is "Back in my day [aka in the 1950s/60s] we did this...", I highly doubt that they had the future in mind when they voted, or had any idea how the future will be affected if we leave the EU.
My granddad for example (who strangely enough, I do not wish to kill off), voted to leave simply because he didn't like so many immigrants entering his country, and he voted to leave because of this alone. However, now we all know that immigrants are the least of our worries.
Reply 158
So if we have a second referendum and the Remain campaign wins with 51.9%, will there be a 3rd referendum? A 4th? Where does it stop?
The UK people have spoken, we are in a democracy and Brexit won (albeit not by a landslide) - accept this and move on. Both sides were deceitful, lied and fabricated statistics to get votes. It may only be a small majority, but Leave won by majority nonetheless.
Reply 159
Original post by bigoliver
Let's keep holding referendums until we get the result you want then stop.

Worked in Ireland

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest