The Student Room Group

Why I, an 18 Year Old, Ex-Muslim voted leave?

Remaining in the UK would have meant in an exponentially increasing Muslim population in this country.

Before you accuse me of "Islamophobia" please read this:
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7861/british-muslims-survey,

Just remember that my family are Muslim.

I love this despite this fact, as much of our interaction occurs outside of religion.
All of the evidence tells me that I would not feel safe in a country with a large number of Muslims.
I know that many Muslims are peaceful....bla bla bla.... I've heard this all before. But I sincerely believe that this is only because they are not in power.

Once in power the majority of these peaceful Muslims would happily turn a blind eye to my beheading, due to my apostasy. A lawful punishment for those who leave the faith, under Shariah law.

I understand that a Muslim majority is unlikely right now, but over the next century, remaining in the EU, would make that an increasingly more likely probability.

Even if they don't come into power, it will make it taboo in our society to do things that do not conform to Islamic principles.

I love this country, I understand its had a dark history, but this country right now, as it is, is amazing. It is so accepting and tolerant. I don't want that to change.

Reading the news this morning has been a great joy to me. I know for many it hasn't been the case.

But please be mindful of the fact that everyone has their reasons.

Everyone has experienced life differently and are motivated by different things. You may think my motivations are stupid, but they extremely important to me.

Edit: For those doubting the population claim:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/11/muslim-population-england-wales-nearly-doubles-10-years
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol at Asian people on the tele earlier like 'it's the immigrants there's not enough jobs for people. The immigrants will take all the jobs' I'm like errr?? Where's that accent from then?
any muslim that voted to leave is dumb, period.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I would bet so much money you're not an ex-Muslim and are just a standard racist.

For one thing is Islam isn't a race it is a flawed and backward ideology.
Secondly, you are wrong. I am an ex-muslim.

Do my views not fit neatly into your identity politics?
Amount of muslim's wouldn't increase...
It would increase by maybe 1-3% but that's the highest! You clearly know nothing...
And you know even less if you are an ex-muslim.... Pffffffftttt!
Original post by IslamistheTruth
For one thing is Islam isn't a race it is a flawed and backward ideology.
Secondly, you are wrong. I am an ex-muslim.

Do my views not fit neatly into your identity politics?

I can tell because it was only racists who made this referendum about Muslims.
Reply 6
imagine being a Muslim and voting leave.
Lol at you being an ex-Muslim and your username. Presumably you made the account when you were still a believer :lol:
Original post by Angry Bird
any muslim that voted to leave is dumb, period.

Some would say that any Muslim that voted is dumb, period.
Man-made law is bad, innit. :rolleyes:
I would bet so much money you're not an ex-Muslim and are just a standard racist.

Is Islam now a race? Gosh, you're so wise.
Original post by YaliaV
Is Islam now a race? Gosh, you're so wise.

Hatred of Muslims is clearly racism even if Islam is not strictly a race. Islamophobia is often the polite face of racism since the racist can shrug their shoulders and tell you how Islam is not a race.
Original post by IslamistheTruth
Remaining in the UK would have meant in an exponentially increasing Muslim population in this country.

That doesn't make any sense.

Muslim immigration has nothing to do with the EU.

Actually, if you have less Europeans, then the proportion of Muslims will grow even faster.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Lol at you being an ex-Muslim and your username. Presumably you made the account when you were still a believer :lol:

I admit I was being a bit trollish, but I'm actually an ex-muslim who voted leave.
Original post by Hydeman
Some would say that any Muslim that voted is dumb, period.
Man-made law is bad, innit. :rolleyes:

whoever says that is dumb and stupid
Original post by Angry Bird
whoever says that is dumb and stupid

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a Muslim yourself? If you are: it's not good to backbite on some of your brothers and sisters in faith. :tongue:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Look at his old thread

Spoiler

The EU consists of European countries. Hardly as many muslims from there. The only doubt you would have about an increase in Muslim population is if Turkey does decide to join later (btw their Islamic views are quite liberal compared to Iraq, Afghanistan etc.).
(edited 7 years ago)
Hatred of Muslims is clearly racism even if Islam is not strictly a race. Islamophobia is often the polite face of racism since the racist can shrug their shoulders and tell you how Islam is not a race.

How can you make these 2 statements in the same sentence?

Spoiler

Original post by Rk2k14
imagine being a Muslim and voting leave.

You'd be surprised, I know of ones who did :s-smilie:

Your opinion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending