The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I'm at a loss as to why Scotland would wish to leave now to join the EU. The UK economy as I said was one of the strongest in Europe, what will they do when Brussels demands Scotland coughs up for a bailout for the Spanish or Italians.

Its just Sturgeon jumping on absolutely any chance she can get to have another IndyRef.

From the BBC

"Mr Jenkin [conservative MP] says he is concerned about Scotland's decision to push for a second referendum on independence because it did not want to leave the EU.
He argued that if Scotland had tipped the balance so England was forced to stay in the EU against its will "we would have accepted the result in England". "
Reply 221
Original post by Yellow 03
No, I fell asleep in the end...:colondollar: I had to go to work in the morning.

It was an exciting night. First Sunderland shocked everybody, then Glasgow put Remain in front, then it was an long uninterrupted string of 60% Leave victories in every English market towns. When I saw that Liverpool and Manchester only voted Remain by 60%, I knew it was over. Finally, Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham backing Leave nailed the coffin.

Original post by Yellow 03
Not to mention that "British Sovereignty" may now be in the hands of Boris Johnson and the like.

It's worrying indeed. I don't see him as a competent guy. Gove could be better but is unpopular.

Perhaps there should be a national union government with Labour?
Original post by Josb
Scotland will not leave. They would have to create a new currency in an extremely volatile environment and cannot enter the EU like that (they'll have to wait for several years). Moreover, Scotland doesn't trade much with the EU, its biggest trade partners are England and the USA. Within the UK, Scotland would benefit from the free trade deal with the USA that will be concluded in the near future (as Tafta won't pass now that the UK - its biggest supporter - has left the EU).

Same for NI. The Remain vote margin is not significant enough to trigger a new leaving.

Scotland IS leaving. The last referendum was close and the main reason for staying was the security (not taking the risk). You just blew that up, ruined the pound, risked all the businesses and voted opposite them on a major issue they care about. They want in the EU and to leave, they are taking this chance to secure freedom, they will win and leave. And frankly I don't blame them, it looks a hell more appealing

Original post by Josb
Europe is not an attractive solution at the moment and businesses won't move now that the markets are so uncertain. They will wait for the situation to stabilise before deciding what to do. They also want to know the next government and its plans.

Oh great. So we are risking all of our major businesses, who we will have to make effort to keep, for no reason at all. Fantastic. Thanks, Leave voters, why didn't you just burn the place down it would have been faster?
Original post by Zadkiel
Woke up with Brexit...

Markets are falling, Pound is falling to the lowest value in more than 40 years!

Reports say Northern Ireland and Scotland will vote to leave the UK.
Markets will prefer to trade with EU rather than UK and EU already reported they won't negotiate with UK a trade deal because "out means out".

Well done everyone... Well done Brits, today will start the ENGLISH independence day. Good luck with jobs - good luck because we will start getting the jobs the emigrants took, such as construction workers, McDonalds, etc.

Good luck to us all... the future won't be bright and a recession will come.

Well said! Couldn't have put it better myself. The small minded 'Little Britoners' have got just what they want Great Britain. But we won't be Great Britain much longer when Scotland and N Ireland leave England and Wales on its own we'll be a forgotten backwater. Well bloody done the Brexiters have screwed our country permanently.
Reply 224
Original post by elitepower
Scotland IS leaving. The last referendum was close and the main reason for staying was the security (not taking the risk). You just blew that up, ruined the pound, risked all the businesses and voted opposite them on a major issue they care about. They want in the EU and to leave, they are taking this chance to secure freedom, they will win and leave. And frankly I don't blame them, it looks a hell more appealing

Oh great. So we are risking all of our major businesses, who we will have to make effort to keep, for no reason at all. Fantastic. Thanks, Leave voters, why didn't you just burn the place down it would have been faster?

I'm not a Leave voter. I'm trying to say that Brexit is not the Apocalypse.

The Pound has returned to its 2014 level against the Euro. It's not ruined.
Original post by Josb
I'm not a Leave voter. I'm trying to say that Brexit is not the Apocalypse.

The Pound has returned to its 2014 level against the Euro. It's not ruined.

Sorry, I know you are trying to be helpful but I will not and never see this as anything more than a colossal mistake.

People keep saying "Its not the end of the world" but you have to realise "not the end of the world" isn't reassuring or something I aim for. I go slightly higher than that usually.

Its a massive hit. Its a uncertain future. Its politically destroyed us and Scotland is leaving now. It is nothing more than a huge mistake, we should be fixing immediately. I don't care what it takes, fix this.
Original post by Algren
Its just Sturgeon jumping on absolutely any chance she can get to have another IndyRef.

From the BBC

"Mr Jenkin [conservative MP] says he is concerned about Scotland's decision to push for a second referendum on independence because it did not want to leave the EU.
He argued that if Scotland had tipped the balance so England was forced to stay in the EU against its will "we would have accepted the result in England". "

Even if Remain had won, she would be finding another reason to cry out for another referendum like the spoiled kid that she is.
Reply 228
Original post by Megan_Daisy
Yes! I live in NI and most of us would like to vote to leave uk and rejoin EU

You have all the EU and Scotish support! :smile:

Good Luck!
Original post by Josb
I was answering an user who said that Scotland wants to leave.

I know, i find people who think that leave is a reason for Scotland to leave to be totally stupid.
Reply 230
everyone stop whining, whats done is done. UK is a democracy and if you don't like then live somewhere else. The pound and markets are recovering after the initial frenzy. Everything will calm down in time. No way scotland or NI will leave UK.
all im seeing from my american and canadian friends facebooks is ' "WTF UK?" and " Are you serious!??"
Reply 232
Sorry, I know you are trying to be helpful but I will not and never see this as anything more than a colossal mistake.

People keep saying "Its not the end of the world" but you have to realise "not the end of the world" isn't reassuring or something I aim for. I go slightly higher than that usually.

Its a massive hit. Its a uncertain future. Its politically destroyed us and Scotland is leaving now. It is nothing more than a huge mistake, we should be fixing immediately. I don't care what it takes, fix this.

The worrying thing is the next government, as Boris doesn't look fit for the job. Hopefully there will be a new and constructive shadow cabinet.

Instead of whining, people should wonder what deal they want with the EU (Norway solution? Switzerland? Mexico?), What they are going to do with the money that will not be sent to Brussels? How to compensate the loss of funding from the EU?

Actual issues, not fear.
Original post by Josb
The worrying thing is the next government, as Boris doesn't look fit for the job. Hopefully there will be a new and constructive shadow cabinet.

Instead of whining, people should wonder what deal they want with the EU (Norway solution? Switzerland? Mexico?), What they are going to do with the money that will not be sent to Brussels? How to compensate the loss of funding from the EU?

Actual issues, not fear.

Not fear. Of course I'm afraid, morons voted leave and now the whole country is imploding. I'll tell you the deal I want - the one we had last week. Union all this mess, throw Farage into some far away desert and stop this madness.
"Lets build a Wall people"
Not fear. Of course I'm afraid, morons voted leave and now the whole country is imploding. I'll tell you the deal I want - the one we had last week. Union all this mess, throw Farage into some far away desert and stop this madness.

It's not really imploding though, stop being so melodramatic.

Scotland has a 14% budget deficit now due to oil prices collapsing. Not even the SNP could with a straight face argue leaving the UK right now would provide economic security.
Original post by pol pot noodles
It's not really imploding though, stop being so melodramatic.

The pound looks like it was dropped off a cliff. Scotland is planning to leave. Northern Ireland is discussing it. We have lots billions in the last 24 hours. We have a leaving Prime Minister so will get a unelected official in October. Speaking of politicians, no one has any faith in them. 2,000 jobs have already been lost with more likely on the way. Most of our allies have lost respect for us and the public hates each other because morons voted to leave because they are xenophobic. Farage's benefits have already been revealed as fake.

Compare this to - what is your benefits? Oh right, nothing.

So I think I'm being reasonable, thank you.
I voted out. I'm not looking for an argument. I had my reasons and that's enough. Yes, I considered the consequences and the hardships that will be short term and temporary. It will get worse before it gets better, but I personally believe it will be better in the long run.

I just don't understand why people can call me out to be a racist, xenophobic or just a simple idiot just because I hold my views and reasons to vote leave. If you voted remain, that's fine. And I'd be hella annoyed if Leave lost. But I wouldn't go around throwing my weight around being all belligerent and horrible on social media because I disagree.

It is life and people seriously need to grow up. Get over the result, or get with it. We have to come together and make sure we can get the best for our future, regardless of what you who you thought should have won or not. Put your pride aside, and try and build up this country.

You can reply back, but I won't respond. I'm too grown for such nonsense.
It will be if scots get independant, hopefully not.

Latest

Trending

Trending