The Student Room Group

Humanity has just taken a step backwards

Congratulations to the Leave camp, that have focused entirely on the immigration and not the swathes of other benefits our membership has brought.

There is now a very real chance Farage's vision of this continent will come to life. On BBC News he spoke about countries divided, that work together without any kind of Union. There is now a very real chance that the Eurosceptic rhetoric will win and break up this Union, which has united a continent.

How will we tackle the biggest problems that face humanity if we are segregated? Global warming, nuclear disarment, poverty, antibiotic resistance. In the wider sense, this can only be done with a feeling and sense of cohesion and unity. The EU will, if it survives go on trying to tackle humanity's problems without the UK. Unfortunately, belligerent nationalism has triumphed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Totally agree with you. Massively panicked and totally ashamed of the country today. Everyone who voted Leave, this is on you.
Original post by Miracle Day
How will we tackle the biggest problems that face humanity if we are segregated? Global warming, nuclear disarment, poverty, antibiotic resistance. In the wider sense, this can only be done with a feeling and sense of cohesion and unity. Unfortunately, nationalism has triumphed.

Leaving the EU =/= leaving Europe in terms of cooperation or leaving other international organisations.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Leaving the EU =/= leaving Europe in terms of cooperation or leaving other international organisations.

There is a real possibility the entire EU could fragment. What do you think this is going to do for cooperation?
Original post by elitepower
Totally agree with you. Massively panicked and totally ashamed of the country today. Everyone who voted Leave, this is on you.

No, it's on the EU for failing to put a more viable deal on the table. I am confident that Brexit would not have been so popular had the EU not resisted real reform in the areas of concern shared not just in the UK but across Europe.
There is a real possibility the entire EU could fragment. What do you think this is going to do for cooperation?

Norway manages to cooperate adequately with the rest of Europe without being part of the EU.
How will we tackle the biggest problems that face humanity if we are segregated? Global warming, nuclear disarment, poverty, antibiotic resistance. In the wider sense, this can only be done with a feeling and sense of cohesion and unity. The EU will, if it survives go on trying to tackle humanity's problems? without the UK. Unfortunately, belligerent nationalism has triumphed.

Your mistake here is assuming that people who voted Leave actually care about any of these things. Why worry about genuinely important problems when you can complain about "muh sovereignty"?
Original post by Plagioclase
Your mistake here is assuming that people who voted Leave actually care about any of these things. Why worry about genuinely important problems when you can complain about "muh sovereignty"?

Wales probably the biggest example of this

I didn't assume that anyone cared and that's the problem, people don't.

Original post by Malevolent
Wales probably the biggest example of this

I can confirm
No, it's on the EU for failing to put a more viable deal on the table. I am confident that Brexit would not have been so popular had the EU not resisted real reform in the areas of concern shared not just in the UK but across Europe.

There is a number of issues here, but lets remember it was not so popular - it only won by over a million, this was not a landslide victory and as a result we should not take stupid action like leaving the EU on it.

Xenophobia, the lies of Farage, protest votes - all contributed.
17m voters =/= "humanity".

Seriously, that's insane. There are 7bn people on this planet and you think the entirety of humanity has taken a step back?

Get some perspective, kids.
There is a number of issues here, but lets remember it was not so popular - it only won by over a million, this was not a landslide victory and as a result we should not take stupid action like leaving the EU on it.

You cannot post hoc say the vote doesn't count as it wasn't a landslide victory because you don't like the outcome. Why didn't remainers advocate this proviso before the result was announced?

I disagree. I think the bulk of the vote was based on the failure of the EU to offer any real reform on the main concerns. Unless you are suggesting over half of the electorate are xenophobes?
Norway manages to cooperate adequately with the rest of Europe without being part of the EU.

Norway also pays into the EU and allows free movement, the key focus points the leave campaign used. Norway never has been apart of the EU, Britain on the other hand is leaving which has put the position of other nations positions into question, we will be made an example of.
Couldn't agree more. We need to be united as much as possible to work on the important issues facing us as a species, not just putting our national identity in front of all the factors that have benefited us and the rest of the EU.

Leave voters all seem to focus on individual issues rather than the overall picture, which was one of unity and prosperity - now we're going to be a lonely nation with little say over global issues.

"Make Britain strong again"? All we're going to achieve is to destroy our standing as an important figure in this world.

And I'm ****ed off.

We shouldn't leave the EU even though most people voted to leave? Are you mad? I voted remain and even I can see how ridiculous this statement is.
Original post by Zargabaath
We shouldn't leave the EU even though most people voted to leave? Are you mad? I voted remain and even I can see how ridiculous this statement is.

We shouldn't leave as we shouldn't just completely ignore 16 million voices, especially as today more people are changing their minds.
I didn't assume that anyone cared and that's the problem, people don't.
I can confirm

Of course I mean all the leave voters like me are just racists. Especially those Northern Plebs. Who do we think we are?

I think you need to spend more time highlighting the fact that the Luvvies know best.

You need to tell all the haters that they are uneducated morons with no GCSES.

You need to be more vocal like Bob Geldof and start waving V's at the medevil sub-humans who dare to come to the Capital on their rusty boats.
We shouldn't leave as we shouldn't just completely ignore 16 million voices, especially as today more people are changing their minds.

So we ignore the 17.4 million who voted leave?

Are you dense? That's democracy. Are you anti-democratic now?

That comment, right there, sums up why Britain voted to leave. The utter ignorance of such a statement beggars belief.

Lots of people on low to middle income have suffered at the hands of globalisation, and specifically open-door immigration. They've seen jobs being given to foreign workers because they're willing to work for less and in worse conditions, which has also placed downwards pressure on the wages of low skilled occupations. They're worried about whether they will be able to get a place for their kids in the local school, they're worried about whether they'll be able to be seen by their GP and they're worried how they'll manage to get onto the housing ladder with demand so manifestly outstripping supply. These are all totally reasonable concerns, motivated not by xenophobia but by what they've seen happen in their communities over the past decade or two. And whilst immigration isn't the only thing contributing to these issues, it certainly plays a part.

And the remain campaign response? 'Stop being so racist, if you oppose immigration and globalisation it's because you're inwards-looking and dislike foreigners and too stupid to understand what's really going on'. No attempt to alleviate those fears, no attempt to set out how these problems can be resolved, just 'shut up, you're too stupid to understand'. It's frankly insulting. I voted leave, but i can understand why someone would vote to remain and respect that decision. The remainers, on the other hand, seem to take this moral high ground where everyone who voted leave is just a quasi-fascist who doesn't understand economics. It's ignorant, it's condescending and above all, it's just cost you the referendum.

Three months ago, it was inconceivable we would leave. The referendum was the remainers' to lose. And by a combination of belittling those who have legitimate concerns with immigration and fighting a campaign of vitriolic diatribe aimed at the leaders of leave - most prominently in the direction of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage - they've blown it.

So enjoy your moral high ground. It's just caused you to lose the referendum.

Quick Reply

Latest