The Student Room Group

Why I, an 18 Year Old, Ex-Muslim voted leave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
I'm in this same category unfortunately. Muslims would never accept us because we converted out of Islam. It is what it is.

I'm not disputing the existence of ex-Muslims, but if you look at the post and the sentiment, it's extremely suspect.
Original post by champ_mc99
But now there's an equal chance between a Turk and an Afghan entering the UK with the latter having a much higher chance of being a radical which is exactly what the OP wanted to prevent. :biggrin:

If we stayed in the EU it would be easier for a turk to come in though.

I'm not sure what we are arguing about lol
Original post by IslamistheTruth
Its so f*cking annoying how they just dismiss our voices as bigoted.

Actually most Muslims I know in real life (although people on TSR may think you're trolling) are just confused. They've never even seen or heard of someone converting out of Islam. They don't how to feel. They can't call us racist but at the same time they'll always have a bad taste in their mouths.
Many muslims voted leave unfortunately,so I dont get your point.In fact,your on the same side as many ISOC members who voted leave or assisted Leave by not voting.
Turkey wasn't my main concern, its the overall immigration numbers that scare me.
Just remember that Muslims are the fastest growing demographic in this country.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/11/muslim-population-england-wales-nearly-doubles-10-years

You only need a large number (not proportion) to arrive, to set of the chain reaction.

But now instead of letting in white EU members move in freely there's more space and freedom for intelligent Muslims to enter from countries such as India. So now the population of Muslims might grow even faster because of your vote.
Original post by Fantastic Fan
If we stayed in the EU it would be easier for a turk to come in though.

I'm not sure what we are arguing about lol

But now it's as easy for a more likely radical to come in.

Lol, neither am I. Forget the Turks. My point was, staying in the EU and letting in white Europeans would hardly have an effect on the Muslims migrating. The two aren't even linked.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I would bet so much money you're not an ex-Muslim and are just a standard racist.

There are plenty of Ex-Muslims out there and some of them do hate Muslims. Why are you in so much denial? Seriously get out of your cave and get to know the world you live in.

Also as a Muslim I think the result was good. I don't get why people are so annoyed that we're leaving. I believe the UK will thrive better outside the EU and the welfare of people of your own nation should be a higher priority than people outside your nation.
(edited 7 years ago)
But now instead of letting in white EU members move in freely there's more space and freedom for intelligent Muslims to enter from countries such as India. So now the population of Muslims might grow even faster because of your vote.

My aim was to reduce overall immigration to the tens of thousands, so that muslim population growth is sustainable in the sense, that the majority of muslims would be british born,. I'm hoping that would increase their tolerance, but to me this seems like the best of many bad options.
I'm in this same category unfortunately. Muslims would never accept us because we converted out of Islam. It is what it is.

stop with the ********, I have an ex-muslim friend and other muslims are perfectly okay with him.
Original post by Hydeman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a Muslim yourself? If you are: it's not good to backbite on some of your brothers and sisters in faith. :tongue:

Why not ?Everyone knows how some ppl in ISOC love "backbiting " with their troll/duplicate accounts.
My aim was to reduce overall immigration to the tens of thousands, so that muslim population growth is sustainable in the sense, that the majority of muslims would be british born,. I'm hoping that would increase their tolerance, but to me this seems like the best of many bad options.

I don't really see the logic. But oh well. Take it easy.
@champ_mc99
@Fantastic Fan

You do realise that Turkey potentially becoming a member wasn't one of the credible arguments for leaving, right? New member states have to be confirmed by all existing ones, so it would've been possible for the UK to veto Turkish membership if it's really that big a deal to us.
Original post by Bealzibub
stop with the ********, I have an ex-muslim friend and other muslims are perfectly okay with him.

Stop with the what? That may be your friends experience of Islam but it certainly wasn't mine... It doesn't demean the prejudice towards other ex-Muslims just because one (you claim) had a good experience? Seems rather illogical to me.
But now it's as easy for a more likely radical to come in.

Lol, neither am I. Forget the Turks. My point was, staying in the EU and letting in white Europeans would hardly have an effect on the Muslims migrating. The two aren't even linked.

I agree that the two aren't linked.

It's only the ignorant misinformed people that think leaving the EU would stop immigration from south asia

I refer you to:

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7861/british-muslims-survey
Original post by Hydeman
@champ_mc99
@Fantastic Fan

You do realise that Turkey potentially becoming a member wasn't one of the credible arguments for leaving, right? New member states have to be confirmed by all existing ones, so it would've been possible for the UK to veto Turkish membership if it's really that big a deal to us.

It was more of his argument. I haven't really seen it used by Brexiters either. But anyways, that furthers my point on how voting Brexit to somehow lower Muslim population is pretty illogical.
It was more of his argument. I haven't really seen it used by Brexiters either. But anyways, that furthers my point on how voting Brexit to somehow lower Muslim population is pretty illogical.

That was no argument.

Why did you become an ex-muslim?
That was no argument.

Why did you become an ex-muslim?

All the evidence contradicts that hope.

Original post by Kadak
Why not ?Everyone knows how some ppl in ISOC love "backbiting " with their troll/duplicate accounts.

I'm being slightly satirical/mocking. :tongue: I know of that, of course, but I was trying to highlight the silliness of the person I was replying to being apparently unaware that there are reasons for Muslims not voting other than them being 'stupid and dumb', especially when this is being done with ignorance of another part of the faith, namely the prohibition of backbiting.

Your one anomalous example doesn't disprove the trend among Muslims, even British-born ones, to have extreme qualms with the idea of apostasy from Islam (they're notably okay with apostasy from other religions to Islam though).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending