The Student Room Group

Whats better, a 2:1 from Cambridge or a 1st at a Russell Group university?

Always wondered what is considered better
It really does entirly depend on the which Russel Group university really and the course. For example, a 1:1 in Psychology from UCL may be more preferred than a 2:1 from Cambridge but that might not be the case for a 1:1 for Psychology at Manchester as the Psychology course is not as good there.
I'm not sure which one is better, but I'm sure as hell that getting a 2.1 from Cambridge is much harder than a 1st at most RGs. [According to an examiner report, 90% of those sitting tripos exams perform at a level that would grant them a first at other unis, and of course some of those 90% only come out with 2:2s and thirds! ]

PS: this is a generic statement, ofc there might be exceptions.
depends on the subject.
for maths a 2:1 from cambridge is better than a 1:1 from any other RG university.
I'm sure the myriad of other factors when applying for anything that would require a qualification far overshadow it's exact specifics.
Depends what you want to do, but I'd say a high 1st beats a 2:1 in most situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1st if you are aiming for PhD, 2:1 + EC's/sports for graduate jobs. A lot of people on my course with a 1st seem to lack EC's.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
2:1 from Cambridge.
Original post by Princepieman
Depends what you want to do, but I'd say a high 1st beats a 2:1 in most situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? Unless you're applying to something extremely competitive most places wont care.
Original post by physicsphysics91
Why? Unless you're applying to something extremely competitive most places wont care.

I meant generally, a high first is more impressive. Not for a grad job or anything in particular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The advantage people from Oxbridge have is the contacts they have been able to make and the opportunities for Extra Curricula activities which are offered at every turn. Not that ECs are not there elsewhere but the combination academic reputation, consequent confidence and ECs gives the advantage.
Original post by physicsphysics91
1st if you are aiming for PhD, 2:1 + EC's/sports for graduate jobs. A lot of people on my course with a 1st seem to lack EC's.

What's an EC and what course do you do?
Original post by Elm Tree
What's an EC and what course do you do?

Masters in astrophysics.

Sports captain, treasurer of college and 3 societies few bits of volunteering.
2.1 from Oxbridge in most cases except for a few specific unis in a few specific subjects. Not all RG unis are the same in every subject, so it definitely does matter. Also, no one cares about your degree classification after a few years, but your Oxbridge contacts do stay with you.
Reply 14
I would rather have a 1:1 from Warwick Maths, MORSE, Economics, Computer Science, Business (any programme from WBS), or from Imperial Maths or engineering, or from LSE Economics than a 2:1 from Cambridge.
Reply 15
Original post by GoingForIt
It really does entirly depend on the which Russel Group university really and the course. For example, a 1:1 in Psychology from UCL may be more preferred than a 2:1 from Cambridge but that might not be the case for a 1:1 for Psychology at Manchester as the Psychology course is not as good there.

Yeah, I got a 2:1 in Maths from Edinburgh but because I was in a lot of extracurriculars (maths society etc.) I don't feel like not getting into Oxford hurt my job prospects much :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending