The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2320
Original post by maths52
Will this mean I am still likely to get in with S,1,2 if that is what it turns out as?

Yeah.
Original post by Insight314
I know the maths courses that are replaced by the maths with physics option, but I don't know which physics courses I will be doing from the NatSci tripos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email them?
Original post by Number Nine
a level ums aint comparable to step iii tho so why bother

also seems lots of 1,2s get taken anyway so ignore upper comment

I calculated that 75% is the chance of being taken by Cambridge.

And, no, I didn't take this percentage off my pants - I took the average of the FOI request stats for being accepted with 1/2. (I was scared the day before STEP III that I will be getting a 2 in STEP III lol)
@Zacken, @physicsmaths, @EnglishMuon, @IrrationalRoot, @Mathemagicien

Is anyone else finding it a bit weird that we are now finished with all our STEP exams? I feel so relaxed right now, no more stress about them. I still have two exams next week (FP3 and Physics Unit 5) but they are pretty easy. I hope everyone is happy with their performance, I most definitely am (but also a bit confused as to why I did better in STEP III than both I and II).

I want to thank you for all the help since January. I don't think I would have ever done this well if it wasn't for you. :smile:

Probably gonna write in more detail about how amazing you are on results day, as long as I get accepted by Cambridge of course.

I am gonna still be around the STEP Prep/Cambridge thread even after my exams, but I heard someone mentioning (I think it was Zacken) that there will be a thread about Tripos during the summer? I am going to self-study part 1A during the summer, and it would be great if we could collaborate on a separate thread about it.

I was relaxed after STEP III, happy that I stood a good chance of getting an S. Now I realise how stupidly I screwed up so not gonna be able to relax, apparently mock performance does not correlate to real exam performance, no S's for me this year.

Nice to see that you did well after all that stress and stuff with mocks etc; it sounds like you'll get in, well done :smile:.

Lol. I am gonna try and ask the other Maths Tripos thread about it, and then see if I should email them.
Lol. I am gonna try and ask the other Maths Tripos thread about it, and then see if I should email them.

just email them saying you cant find it on the internet ffs

ffs insight i found it in two minutes

There are two books recommended for the Part IA Physics course these will be available in Collegelibraries. Some lecturers will give references both to relevant sections of these books, and to workedexamples in them, which help explain or expand on the material they present in their lectures. Thisis to encourage you to develop your skills in utilising the more extensive resource material providedin text-books to deepen your understanding of physics.• Understanding Physics (Second Edition), Mansfield M & O’Sullivan C (Wiley 2011).• Physics for Scientists and Engineers (Extended Version), Tipler P A & Mosca G (6th Edition,Freeman 2008).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I was relaxed after STEP III, happy that I stood a good chance of getting an S. Now I realise how stupidly I screwed up so not gonna be able to relax, apparently mock performance does not correlate to real exam performance, no S's for me this year.

Nice to see that you did well after all that stress and stuff with mocks etc; it sounds like you'll get in, well done :smile:.

Wait a minute, what? Did the exam nerves get to you or something? Damn, I really don't like it when I see so many S-grade mathematicians not get their S grades due to exam pressure. :frown:
Wait a minute, what? Did the exam nerves get to you or something? Damn, I really don't like it when I see so many S-grade mathematicians not get their S grades due to exam pressure. :frown:

Yep as just one of many examples I lost 10 marks or so in an easy full Q4 just by thinking that sech was cosech for the entire question. I don't ever recall being that dumb.
Oh well, I did call it beforehand that I would screw up despite my good mock performance, so at least I was right there.

Thats life, tripos is exactly like step. Just different content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2329
I feel like you really underestimate yourself m8. I really don't think you got a grade 2 in STEP II, but even if you did you still have over 80% chance of being accepted anyway.

I really do think I have, and 80% (although it's more like 75%) isn't a very comforting number, knowing my luck, I'm a straight dump into the 20% (25%). :tongue:
Original post by Number Nine
just email them saying you cant find it on the internet ffs

ffs insight i found it in two minutes

There are two books recommended for the Part IA Physics course these will be available in Collegelibraries. Some lecturers will give references both to relevant sections of these books, and to workedexamples in them, which help explain or expand on the material they present in their lectures. Thisis to encourage you to develop your skills in utilising the more extensive resource material providedin text-books to deepen your understanding of physics.• Understanding Physics (Second Edition), Mansfield M & O’Sullivan C (Wiley 2011).• Physics for Scientists and Engineers (Extended Version), Tipler P A & Mosca G (6th Edition,Freeman 2008).

That's not what I am looking for though m8.

I am looking for something like this - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.maths.cam.ac.uk/files/pre2014/undergrad/course/coursesIA.pdf.

Actually something more like this - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/schedules.pdf - the recommended reading list is at the bottom of each course for every year (1A, 1B, II are included).
Original post by Zacken
I really do think I have, and 80% (although it's more like 75%) isn't a very comforting number, knowing my luck, I'm a straight dump into the 20% (25%). :tongue:

I don't want to be belittling or anything but I really find this funny. You are a great mathematician, I think Cambridge are gonna accept you. Even if they don't, you take a gap year and then you become Senior Wrangler in part II of your Tripos. You are so ahead of the curve than most people that I don't see why you would be worried about anything. :smile:
I don't want to be belittling or anything but I really find this funny. You are a great mathematician, I think Cambridge are gonna accept you. Even if they don't, you take a gap year and then you become Senior Wrangler in part II of your Tripos. You are so ahead of the curve than most people that I don't see why you would be worried about anything. :smile:

nah year belows SW is me

While it is obviously sad, STEP is designed to test exam skill not just maths skill I believe so it is really hard to tell if you are an S level STEPPER (?) unless you have done lots of 3 hour hard exams before with intense pressure. I definitely found in STEP ii that while I would normally aim to rush through 3 in the first 1 hr 20 or so and be confident for the next hour as a result, I instead panicked and did nothing for an hour and 20 and then randomly hacked together some solutions in the last hour and 40.

On another note, if you want to take a toilet break and you ask them if you will lose time and they say you get it back, only to find out they have changed their minds when you get back and you have lost 5 minutes (that would have helped in neatly writing up a solution) is that bad or what?
(edited 7 years ago)
That's not what I am looking for though m8.

I am looking for something like this - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.maths.cam.ac.uk/files/pre2014/undergrad/course/coursesIA.pdf.

Actually something more like this - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/schedules.pdf - the recommended reading list is at the bottom of each course for every year (1A, 1B, II are included).

just get over the fact that the maths dept has their **** together and the physics one dgaf
@Zacken, if my exams were over I would give you some Analysis I questions for you to help me with, and get back into the maths mindset. However, I need to do physics and FP3. **** those last two exams, I am so in the mood of doing uni maths lol. Gotta get that A* in Physics and 100 UMS in FP3 though, haha.
Original post by tridianprime
While it is obviously sad, STEP is designed to test exam skill not just maths skill I believe so it is really hard to tell if you are an S level STEPPER (?) unless you have done lots of 3 hour hard exams before with intense pressure. I definitely found in STEP ii that while I would normally aim to rush through 3 in the first 1 hr 20 or so and be confident for the next hour as a result, I instead panicked and did nothing for an hour and 20 and then randomly hacked together some solutions in the last hour and 40.

I seem to lack exam skill which is the only thing I feel i need to improve on before I hit uni. Need to get quicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Zacken, if my exams were over I would give you some Analysis I questions for you to help me with, and get back into the maths mindset. However, I need to do physics and FP3. **** those last two exams, I am so in the mood of doing uni maths lol. Gotta get that A* in Physics and 100 UMS in FP3 though, haha.

How you gona get A* in physics.
No one gets an A* in physics. No one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tridianprime

I feel like exam pressure didn't get to me as much as other people. I did make some mistakes due to exam nerves, for example losing a few marks for saying that the limit as N tends to infinity for Question 4 is infinity, and not noticing that mod(x) is less than 1. However, I think I may have prepared for exam pressure a bit more than those people since I did one timed mock (under exam conditions) every day during the half-term and have been doing timed mocks at least three times a week since early May.
Original post by physicsmaths
How you gona get A* in physics.
No one gets an A* in physics. No one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I got full UMS in G484 Physics (that is 90/90 UMS) but my G485 (this Tuesday) is worth 150 UMS so we're gonna see m8. inb4 not get even an A grade lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending