The Student Room Group

Are CIE O Levels accepted in the UK

Ok, before I start I need to say something, I spent most of my life studying country A (I don't want to reveal which country it is) in a school where the staff mainly had mainly British and American teachers. After I moved to country X I had to finish my O Levels I know O Levels originated in the UK but it was later lifted in the place of GCSE. My question is that if I do my O Levels, will my GCE for O levels be accepted in a sixth form college. I really want to move to the UK because I can't stand the people here in country X. Nobody can even speak proper English and I can't relate to anyone of them which means I can't make any friends :frown:
Original post by Zain-Ul-Abdin
Ok, before I start I need to say something, I spent most of my life studying country A (I don't want to reveal which country it is) in a school where the staff mainly had mainly British and American teachers. After I moved to country X I had to finish my O Levels I know O Levels originated in the UK but it was later lifted in the place of GCSE. My question is that if I do my O Levels, will my GCE for O levels be accepted in a sixth form college. I really want to move to the UK because I can't stand the people here in country X. Nobody can even speak proper English and I can't relate to anyone of them which means I can't make any friends :frown:

Yes they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42

Well that was pretty straightforward...care to explain more.
Well that was pretty straightforward...care to explain more.

Nothing to explain really. Schools in the uk are familiar with the international GCSE and O levels offered by CIE and Edexcel and accept them as equivalents of uk GCSE. I assume you are applying to attend a fee paying uk school. They all will have had a lot of experience of selecting overseas candidates who have obtained a variety of qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Nothing to explain really. Schools in the uk are familiar with the international GCSE and O levels offered by CIE and Edexcel and accept them as equivalents of uk GCSE. I assume you are applying to attend a fee paying uk school. They all will have had a lot of experience of selecting overseas candidates who have obtained a variety of qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well grading is done differently in O Levels and it's much harder to get an A compared to the GCSEs in the UK. So for example, if I get a B in my O Levels but that B is the equivalent to an A in the GCSE, how will the the college judge my grades? Also thank you for spending your time answering my question, I really really appreciate it :smile:
Well grading is done differently in O Levels and it's much harder to get an A compared to the GCSEs in the UK. So for example, if I get a B in my O Levels but that B is the equivalent to an A in the GCSE, how will the the college judge my grades? Also thank you for spending your time answering my question, I really really appreciate it :smile:

I think they would judge a B at O level to be equivalent to a B at GCSE.
CIE don't position their O levels as "like a GCSE only harder" and I think neither will many schools.
As each sixth form decides its own admissions criteria, you would need to contact them individually to find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest