The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
I seem to lack exam skill which is the only thing I feel i need to improve on before I hit uni. Need to get quicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here - the plan is to just sit down and do long exams over the summer (maybe 4 hours of some random BMO2 or balkan olympiad questions) to improve stamina and so on.
I seem to lack exam skill which is the only thing I feel i need to improve on before I hit uni. Need to get quicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should ask Zacken about speed, damn is he fast.
Original post by Number Nine
just get over the fact that the maths dept has their **** together and the physics one dgaf

I know right, holy ****.
Can someone knowledgeable please predict my friend's performance:

q1 done except part 2

q8 done except part 3

q11 done

q9 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but need to get more details on how good of an attempt it was

q10 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but once again need to get more details

q2 and q4 were partially done but I don't know to what extent, so I'll update it when I find out but until then could someone please predict a lower bound for this performance? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tridianprime
While it is obviously sad, STEP is designed to test exam skill not just maths skill I believe so it is really hard to tell if you are an S level STEPPER (?) unless you have done lots of 3 hour hard exams before with intense pressure. I definitely found in STEP ii that while I would normally aim to rush through 3 in the first 1 hr 20 or so and be confident for the next hour as a result, I instead panicked and did nothing for an hour and 20 and then randomly hacked together some solutions in the last hour and 40.

On another note, if you want to take a toilet break and you ask them if you will lose time and they say you get it back, only to find out they have changed their minds when you get back and you have lost 5 minutes (that would have helped in neatly writing up a solution) is that bad or what?

I don't think you should be given extra time for going to toilet, I wasn't at least and I went toilet for every single exam except STEP III.
Original post by Insight314
I think I got full UMS in G484 Physics (that is 90/90 UMS) but my G485 (this Tuesday) is worth 150 UMS so we're gonna see m8. inb4 not get even an A grade lol.

Is that OCR B? I also have those exams - I find that OCR B are really generous with A grades and ridiculously cruel with the A*. Not too big a deal (unless I messed up further maths).
I know right, holy ****.

r u too good for feynman lectures
Same here - the plan is to just sit down and do long exams over the summer (maybe 4 hours of some random BMO2 or balkan olympiad questions) to improve stamina and so on.

Olympiads aren't that time pressured since for BMO2 you have 4 questions 3 n half hours. I found that solving most step problems is easy to master. Being able to do them under 30 minutes requires practice(unless you are IMO level) I guess I just didn't do this year since I did random olympiad **** for fun aswell as no propee step till may since i did all the stuff last year.
Is that OCR B? I also have those exams - I find that OCR B are really generous with A grades and ridiculously cruel with the A*. Not too big a deal (unless I messed up further maths).

Ahm, I think it is OCR A. Isn't G484/G485 OCR A Physics?
I think I got full UMS in G484 Physics (that is 90/90 UMS) but my G485 (this Tuesday) is worth 150 UMS so we're gonna see m8. inb4 not get even an A grade lol.

How did you find chemistry unit 5 btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you should be given extra time for going to toilet, I wasn't at least and I went toilet for every single exam except STEP III.

No, I agree there but I didn't know if I did or not and it was near the end so I wouldn't have taken it if I had known. If that makes any sense.

Not a massive deal though - just a bit irritating.
Olympiads aren't that time pressured since for BMO2 you have 4 questions 3 n half hours. I found that solving most step problems is easy to master. Being able to do them under 30 minutes requires practice(unless you are IMO level) I guess I just didn't do this year since I did random olympiad **** for fun aswell as no propee step till may since i did all the stuff last year.

I just want to do some long tests and couldn't think of what else to fill them with - maybe older STEP questions.
r u too good for feynman lectures

You read them too? I usually read them on the bus or something. I got half way through first volume. I like them, but I feel like they are not as mathematically rigorous to aid a hopeful theoretical physicist. But I might be wrong, who knows. I think Volume II/III are pretty mathematically rigorous since they introduce you to quantum mechanics, but Volume I is just Newtonian mechanics and some statistical mechanics IIRC. I might read through them during the summer, but even then I would like to buy them since I like having books paperback. :smile: They are expensive though so gotta make sure they help me with Tripos.
Ahm, I think it is OCR A. Isn't G484/G485 OCR A Physics?

Maybe OCR B is G494 and G495. I knew it was too much of a coincidence to find another OCR B'er - maybe one day I will find the other person who does it (if they even exist).
Original post by drandy76
How did you find chemistry unit 5 btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't do ANY past papers for it, so I found transition elements pretty difficult and I got the last question for moles of water of crystallisation wrong (I got 117 moles lol). However, I found the rest pretty easy. I think I can get an A on it, as long as my transition elements were not complete rubbish. Overall, my aim is an A in Chemistry, which I would be ecstatic with since I didn't have the time to prepare for those exams.
No, I agree there but I didn't know if I did or not and it was near the end so I wouldn't have taken it if I had known. If that makes any sense.

Not a massive deal though - just a bit irritating.

I get you m8, I would be annoyed of that as well.

Maybe OCR B is G494 and G495. I knew it was too much of a coincidence to find another OCR B'er - maybe one day I will find the other person who does it (if they even exist).

Haha, I know right. I don't even know what OCR B is lol. (don't take this as insult, I bet B doesn't indicate target grade)
I didn't do ANY past papers for it, so I found transition elements pretty difficult and I got the last question for moles of water of crystallisation wrong (I got 117 moles lol). However, I found the rest pretty easy. I think I can get an A on it, as long as my transition elements were not complete rubbish. Overall, my aim is an A in Chemistry, which I would be ecstatic with since I didn't have the time to prepare for those exams.

Didn't do any either, although that's mostly down to laziness from me.
I got 225.8 for that, and kept getting 5, despite all my mates insisting that it was 4, think everything went fairly well apart from the electrochemical stuff and maybe parts of the transition metals so maybe an A/B (inb4 I get a C)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Didn't do any either, although that's mostly down to laziness from me.
I got 225.8 for that, and kept getting 5, despite all my mates insisting that it was 4, think everything went fairly well apart from the electrochemical stuff and maybe parts of the transition metals so maybe an A/B (inb4 I get a C)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it was 4 moles. :biggrin:

I guess we were both pretty thirsty in the exam.. getting 100-200 moles of water and all.
You read them too? I usually read them on the bus or something. I got half way through first volume. I like them, but I feel like they are not as mathematically rigorous to aid a hopeful theoretical physicist. But I might be wrong, who knows. I think Volume II/III are pretty mathematically rigorous since they introduce you to quantum mechanics, but Volume I is just Newtonian mechanics and some statistical mechanics IIRC. I might read through them during the summer, but even then I would like to buy them since I like having books paperback. :smile: They are expensive though so gotta make sure they help me with Tripos.

nah im far too lazy to even take my a levels seriously... theres a million physics books (and corresponding pdfs) im sure you can find one

but you have to share
nah year belows SW is me

200 alphas incoming m8.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending