The Student Room Group

What size laptop for Uni? 15"/13"

I'm going to get a macbook pro for Uni in September (I'm hoping the new one will be announced and shipped before September) but I'm not sure what size to get? I want to get a 15" but do you think that will be too big to carry around and I should just get a 13"?
Reply 1
What are you doing, graphic design? A MacBook is a waste of money (IMO) compared to the specs you can get with a Windows laptop for a better price. I've had a 13" MacBook pro before though and it was too small for pretty much anything - also had a ton of other quirks I didn't like including constant battery problems and screen problems. Up to you but I'll be sticking with Windows.
Reply 2
Original post by lordyP
I'm going to get a macbook pro for Uni in September (I'm hoping the new one will be announced and shipped before September) but I'm not sure what size to get? I want to get a 15" but do you think that will be too big to carry around and I should just get a 13"?

I'd recommend you buy a macbook pro 13 inch from apple before September as you can currently get free wireless beats headphones ( worth £240) when you buy the mac from the apple education store. Once your offer goes unconditional you can use the education pricing. If you don't want the beats then you could sell them and get about £100 which would mean you're getting the macbook pro 13 inch for around £750 rather than £999 which is the standard price :smile:
Original post by Sicudeh
What are you doing, graphic design? A MacBook is a waste of money (IMO) compared to the specs you can get with a Windows laptop for a better price. I've had a 13" MacBook pro before though and it was too small for pretty much anything - also had a ton of other quirks I didn't like including constant battery problems and screen problems. Up to you but I'll be sticking with Windows.

No, I'm going to do computer science but my sister did graphic design and got the 15" but I won't need such a good screen. I currently have one of the old 13" pros (about 5 years old) and I absolutely love it compared to previous windows laptops i've had - personal preference I guess :smile: But, when I'm trying to code, especially in xcode with all the different side bars, the screen feels a bit too small!
Original post by fefssdf
I'd recommend you buy a macbook pro 13 inch from apple before September as you can currently get free wireless beats headphones ( worth £240) when you buy the mac from the apple education store. Once your offer goes unconditional you can use the education pricing. If you don't want the beats then you could sell them and get about £100 which would mean you're getting the macbook pro 13 inch for around £750 rather than £999 which is the standard price :smile:

Yes this was my plan! I'm just trying to decide what I want so I can be ready to go as soon as possible before the offer ends
I seem to be able to get onto the apple education page now with my college unidays account but not sure whether It'll actually let me purchase anything. I don't know whether I should buy it now, wait a while so that it's new for uni or wait even longer in the hopes that apple will finally announce the new macbook pro :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by lordyP
Yes this was my plan! I'm just trying to decide what I want so I can be ready to go as soon as possible before the offer ends

Id just say to go for it because I've never heard anyone say they've been dissapinted by a Mac. I've had one for over a year and it was a refurbished one which came out in 2014 and it works perfectly - battery life is incredible, the display is just gorgeous and if you have an iPhone everything syncs up like with iMessage ect .
The largest screen possible if you want to do CompSci. Having to read endless lines of code on a small screen is a pain.
Reply 8
13" Macbook Pro and a 34" Ultrawide monitor for home.

Let's not kid ourselves... 15" isn't a world of a difference, and for the price you pay, saving up for an ultra wide IPS in addition to a 13" is a much wiser move.
Original post by TrojanH
13" Macbook Pro and a 34" Ultrawide monitor for home.

Let's not kid ourselves... 15" isn't a world of a difference, and for the price you pay, saving up for an ultra wide IPS in addition to a 13" is a much wiser move.

Hmm didn't think of that good idea!
Reply 10
Never had a laptop as large as 15" but you'll probably need it for computer science.

What I currently do is use a 12.5" HP Elitebook with a docking station connected to monitors. So it's tiny and lightweight on the move and I can connect to multiple large monitors at home, which offers me the best of both worlds. If you want to program on the move, you'll probably want a large screen to start with though. I'd look into docking station options if you want the benefit of a larger screen for your room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending