The Student Room Group

Why I, an 18 Year Old, Ex-Muslim voted leave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oShahpo
Not all Muslims are from the same background, but certain backgrounds tend to be predominantly Muslim. How will you determine who's Muslim and who's not, without tending to racism?

I think the idea that all Middle eastern looking being muslim is racist and a form of prejudice so it's all down to asking them if an individual is really curious of their faith
Original post by Fantastic Fan
But that would be going against allah and muhammed's commands of slaying apostates, therefore going against the 6 articles of faith, therefore not being Islamic at all but indeed secular.

Shiekh is in the house! :clap2:

But seriously isn't that like 20 Muslim countries going against Islam... Wow. Islam has indeed fallen. You need to teach them brother.
Enough of this word.

Like what does that even mean, how do people in our modern day society show an irrational fear of Muslims?

How?

Ok lets start with donald trump, he thinks that getting rid of all muslims in the US would make america great again...why does he feel the need to target muslims? Is it because of groups like ISIS which claim they are muslims, which represent the rest of the muslim community? He automatically assumes that all muslims are terrorists but thats not even true. Secondly, this article is also a good example of islamophobia...OP is clearly trying to say that if we voted remain, more muslims would come (with their "radicalised ideas") which is the reason why they voted leave. Now tell me that isn't islamophobia.
Original post by IslamistheTruth
This is ridiculous on so many levels. Before I continue, I just want to emphasise that Islam and Nazism are indistinguishable from my pov. They both want to kill me.

I've never advocated any physical violence against muslims, if that's what you mean by "physical discrimination".

If you were hiring someone, and they told you they were a Nazi, would that affect your decision in anyway?

Well that is how it is for me and Islam.

Islam means peace.
Original post by IslamistheTruth
This is ridiculous on so many levels. Before I continue, I just want to emphasise that Islam and Nazism are indistinguishable from my pov. They both want to kill me.

I've never advocated any physical violence against muslims, if that's what you mean by "physical discrimination".

If you were hiring someone, and they told you they were a Nazi, would that affect your decision in anyway?

Well that is how it is for me and Islam.

I wouldn't mind if discrimination was based on personal confession, or based on evidence, such as proving that someone is a Muslim or whatever. But not all Muslims are going to confess, so how will you tell who's a Muslim or not? Eventually, it will have to be discrimination based on appearance or ancestry, unless that's guaranteed not to happen, then it will be a racist thing to do.
Original post by champ_mc99
Shiekh is in the house! :clap2:

But seriously isn't that like 20 Muslim countries going against Islam... Wow. Islam has indeed fallen. You need to teach them brother.

I feel like you're mocking me somehow :biggrin::angry:
I think the idea that all Middle eastern looking being muslim is racist and a form of prejudice so it's all down to asking them if an individual is really curious of their faith

That is exactly my point. I am fearful of discrimination based on appearance or ancestry, no more.
Original post by hafsa473
the government use propaganda and censor things to make people, like you, believe in what they want you to believe.

You've clearly little understanding of how a free press operates.

While it's not a stretch to think that someone in the government is trying to pull the strings of public opinion at any one time using some unscrupulous methods, what you're saying (without evidence, in the usual manner of the tinfoil hat-wearer) is frankly nonsense. We do not live in a 1984-type state, least of all one where the government publicly kowtows to certain groups while privately undermining them.

Now, if you have a proper criticism of the survey, then go right ahead and present it. But don't expect to be taken seriously if you start babbling about how we live in a dystopian state (and you're the one special cookie who's managed to discover this and is now allowed to proliferate this knowledge without restraint) every time the evidence doesn't show what you want it to show.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok lets start with donald trump, he thinks that getting rid of all muslims in the US would make america great again...why does he feel the need to target muslims?

Is it because of groups like ISIS which claim they are muslims, which represent the rest of the muslim community? He automatically assumes that all muslims are terrorists but thats not even true.

He never said that he wants to get rid of muslims in the US, that's not only bigoted, but also illegal and against the first ammendment therefore being unconstitutional, what he did say was he was going to reduce islamic immigration which i am against completely, but due to recent cases seems like the only way to go, unless his political advisors can think of something better.

And he also never said or assumed that all muslims are terrorists, saying something like that WILL lead to the republican party disavowing him completely as that is sheer prejudice.

Secondly, this article is also a good example of islamophobia...OP is clearly trying to say that if we voted remain, more muslims would come (with their "radicalised ideas":wink: which is the reason why they voted leave. Now tell me that isn't islamophobia.

You need to understand that the European union vote has NOTHING to do with islamic mass immigration, so i'm not sure if OP Is in the wrong for making such an assumption or if you are in the wrong for believing him.
Original post by oShahpo
That is exactly my point. I am fearful of discrimination based on appearance or ancestry, no more.

But only actual racists do that and i agree that this is bad, and i'm sure most of the people i know do not prejudge.

Do you know anyone who does this
I feel like you're mocking me somehow :biggrin::angry:

No it's advice.

All you have to do is write a letter to all the grand muftis in these countries that don't assign the fatwa to punish apostasy so they can assign a new fatwa. Make sure you're clear on your fiqh and outline which hadith are mutawatir and which are ahad.

Otherwise, there's a very slight chance they won't take you seriously. :h:
Islam means peace.

No, it means submission. It's related to the word 'salam', which means peace.
Furthermore, even if it did mean peace, it wouldn't prove anything about its nature; is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea in fact democratic, of the people, or a republic? No, it isn't. Same principle applies.
Original post by Hydeman
You've clearly little understanding of how a free press operates.

While it's not a stretch to think that someone in the government is trying to pull the strings of public opinion at any one time using some unscrupulous methods, what you're saying (without evidence, in the usual manner of the tinfoil hat-wearer) is frankly nonsense. We do not live in a 1984-type state, least of all one where the government publicly kowtows to certain groups while privately undermining them.

Now, if you have a proper criticism of the survey, then go right ahead and present it. But don't expect to be taken seriously if you start babbling about how we live in a dystopian state (and you're the one special cookie who's managed to discover this and is now allowed to proliferate this knowledge without restraint) every time the evidence doesn't show what you want it to show.

Mate i'm on your side but ease up on the vitriol, you're smarter than that.
But only actual racists do that and i agree that this is bad, and i'm sure most of the people i know do not prejudge.

Do you know anyone who does this

I was looking for accommodation the other day, so I called a guy and he answered. At the end of the call he asked me for my name, I gave him my Muslim-sounding name, he said "Oh, you're a Muslim", and I think hung-up. Although to be honest we were at the end of the conversation, but yea prejudice is inevitable. You only have to look at how Russians and East-Europeans were treated in America during the cold war, or how the Japanese were treated after pearl harbour. Prejudice is inevitable if Muslims become demonised as any slightly Muslim-looking person will be a potential enemy.
[video="youtube;2jmfAjKD3o0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jmfAjKD3o0[/video]
Do you have tunnel vision?

No, do you?
Islam means peace.

It actually means submission.

Quick Reply

Latest