The Student Room Group

I'm Polish can I still move to UK?

Hi, I am Polish girl wanting to live in London. I have a few questions.

Will I be able to move to London easily to work? I am freelance web designer with experience, but I do not know I can find a job with a UK firm or not. Can I still live in the UK as freelancer? (not claiming Benefits)

I am not moving to UK immediately, when will UK make immigration change?

I have worked previously in UK for 1 year as a Barista and speak English

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magdax

Will I be able to move to London easily to work? I am freelance web designer with experience, but I do not know I can find a job with a UK firm or not. Can I still live in the UK as freelancer? (not claiming Benefits)

Nothing as changed, and we don't know when the UK will officially leave the EU, and enact other changes to immigration. But the changes will probably come in the next 12-18 months.
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
Nothing as changed, and we don't know when the UK will officially leave the EU, and enact other changes to immigration. But the changes will probably come in the next 12-18 months.

Thank you, I know that changes happen over next 2 years according to the article 50? Has government said when?

Are immigration rules likely to be stricter?
Original post by Magdax
Thank you, I know that changes happen over next 2 years according to the article 50? Has government said when?

The vote happened yesterday, so no they haven't said when... yet...

And probably yes, immigration will get tighter, It was a large selling point for people who wanted to leave the EU.
Reply 4
The vote happened yesterday, so no they haven't said when... yet...

And probably yes, immigration will get tighter, It was a large selling point for people who wanted to leave the EU.

I thought rules were decided else how do they vote? :lol:

How much tighter? As freelancer with experience, would I be considered "skilled worker"? :colondollar:
No one knows what will happen with anything. My advice is to come now before the restrictions get tougher, though you may well be better off moving to somewhere like Germany as they aren't the ones with an impending recession looming over the country.
Original post by Magdax
I thought rules were decided else how do they vote? :lol:

How much tighter? As freelancer with experience, would I be considered "skilled worker"? :colondollar:

I don't know how much tighter, however you would probably be considered a skilled worker.
Reply 7
I don't know how much tighter, however you would probably be considered a skilled worker.

Thanks. Because freelancers do not have employers, so I might be "unemployed" for visa purposes. :smile:
Original post by Magdax
Thanks. Because freelancers do not have employers, so I might be "unemployed" for visa purposes. :smile:

I'm not too sure on the technicalities, but wouldn't freelancers be considered self-employed? You might want to look into that.
All immigrants will be executed tomorrow

Spoiler

Reply 10
I'm not too sure on the technicalities, but wouldn't freelancers be considered self-employed? You might want to look into that.

I'll check thanks. Is the decision made on immigration control yet though?

@JavaScriptMaster isnt it 2 years? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Magdax

You should try to find a way to justify £20,800 of income, because that's the limit for non-EU immigrants.

Or marry a British man.
Reply 12
Original post by Josb
You should try to find a way to justify £20,800 of income, because that's the limit for non-EU immigrants.

Or marry a British man.

Is it also £20800 for EU migrants after UK leaves though?

My boyfriend is British I don't want to marry him :lol:
Original post by Magdax
I'll check thanks. Is the decision made on immigration control yet though?

@JavaScriptMaster isnt it 2 years? :smile:

Might be... but either way you should be fine. Also it should be easy for you to get hired as a web developer if you know Node.JS or ASP.NET or maybe even Ruby on Rails or PHP, but you'd need to be a PHP expert because they have loads of competition. One thing that is a major advantage is the fact that your a female so your job applications in IT will have a higher precedence than males who make up like 80% of the IT industry in this country.
Reply 14
Original post by Magdax

I can't predict the future. Sorry.

:biggrin:
Original post by Magdax

Probably not. My bet is for freedom of movement to remain, regardless of Brexit.

Still, move here before the renegotiation is finalised and you'll have the same rights to live and work here as you would have before.
Original post by Magdax

Yes it will be fine for at least 2 years, probably 2.5 years.
From then you will have to see what is negotiated. As above I think its likely there will be free movement of people, but not so sure about benefits or how free.

One of the sticking points was Polish workers sending child benefits back to Poland, which the UK had to back down from. That would cost£30 million but its just one of the things that enraged UK voters.

By the time you want to come here then the UK economy could be in a completely different place.
Original post by Magdax

Dear Polish girl wanting to live in London,

Rest assured, nothing will change in terms of your ability to move to the UK and to London as long as you are part of the EU. The UK wants to have and needs to have access to the EU single market. This, and unlike the claims of the Leave/Brexit politicians, necessarily comes with acceptance of free movement of people. In order to have the first, you have to sign up to the second. In the words of a former EU official (Jean-Claude Piris) to think you can have unfettered access to the single market without free movement is the equivalent of believing in Father Christmas. The UK had the best possible deal up to now, as a full member of the EU. It will get another deal now as a non EU member, which will be much worse, but will undoubtedly involve the free movement of EU citizens. This incidentally confirms one of the core arguments of the Leave/Brexit politicians as utterly empty, but who's noticing...

Have fun in London.
Original post by Yellow 03
Dear Polish girl wanting to live in London,

Rest assured, nothing will change in terms of your ability to move to the UK and to London as long as you are part of the EU. The UK wants to have and needs to have access to the EU single market. This, and unlike the claims of the Leave/Brexit politicians, necessarily comes with acceptance of free movement of people. In order to have the first, you have to sign up to the second. In the words of a former EU official (Jean-Claude Piris) to think you can have unfettered access to the single market without free movement is the equivalent of believing in Father Christmas. The UK had the best possible deal up to now, as a full member of the EU. It will get another deal now as a non EU member, which will be much worse, but will undoubtedly involve the free movement of EU citizens. This incidentally confirms one of the core arguments of the Leave/Brexit politicians as utterly empty, but who's noticing...

Have fun in London.

This isnt strictly true as many of the brexiters will not allow free movement if it means giving up immigration and control. I dont believe many of them have thought it through or understood the implications.

I thought the best advice was josb looking at getting here now and then earning a sufficient living or geting married. Moving to the UK from the EU and everywhere else will become a lot harder unless people are very skilled and needed.
Original post by 999tigger
This isnt strictly true as many of the brexiters will not allow free movement if it means giving up immigration and control. I dont believe many of them have thought it through or understood the implications.

I thought the best advice was josb looking at getting here now and then earning a sufficient living or geting married. Moving to the UK from the EU and everywhere else will become a lot harder unless people are very skilled and needed.

It is not up to the "brexiters" to allow it or not. It is one of the things that will be imposed on them whether they like it or not.

Here is the admission of this very fact by one of the staunchest supporters of the Leave campaign: Daniel Hannan

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-referendum-tory-campaigner-admits-brexit-immigration-some-control-a7102626.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending