The Student Room Group

Struggling with manager

*Posted in two places as not sure where it's most relevant. Please feel free to delete one mods.

Hi everyone! I am an Industrial Placement student at an International Organisation and this is my first ever "proper job" in an office. I have been at the company for 10 months out of a 12 month placement so do not have long left but always strive to better myself and improve. Attached is the feedback I have received yesterday and don't know how to feel. I'm not sure if my disappointment is warranted or if I'm just a perfectionist.

She said she's pleased with how I'm doing and my role, but spent the meeting (one-hour in length) briefly praising me (like 2 mins) and spent the remainder of the time giving constructive feedback which left me exhausted and a bit deflated.

Is this normal? Do most employee reviews focus on the development points as opposed to what you've done well? My manager is very awkward at giving positive feedback but good at giving negative feedback.

My biggest development points is to communicate updates more consistently and to ask for additional work (even though I'm so stretched currently!) Any suggestions on the best way to do this and how often?

Many thanksImageUploadedByStudent Room1466798947.295334.jpg

Kyle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kg00105
*Posted in two places as not sure where it's most relevant. Please feel free to delete one mods.

Hi everyone! I am an Industrial Placement student at an International Organisation and this is my first ever "proper job" in an office. I have been at the company for 10 months out of a 12 month placement so do not have long left but always strive to better myself and improve. Attached is the feedback I have received yesterday and don't know how to feel. I'm not sure if my disappointment is warranted or if I'm just a perfectionist.

She said she's pleased with how I'm doing and my role, but spent the meeting (one-hour in length) briefly praising me (like 2 mins) and spent the remainder of the time giving constructive feedback which left me exhausted and a bit deflated.

Is this normal? Do most employee reviews focus on the development points as opposed to what you've done well? My manager is very awkward at giving positive feedback but good at giving negative feedback.

My biggest development points is to communicate updates more consistently and to ask for additional work (even though I'm so stretched currently!) Any suggestions on the best way to do this and how often?

Kyle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya, I've moved this to a slightly more appropriate forum, though there isn't really one that fits this one perfectly.

I think the first thing you should do is think about your workload - you said that you're stretched - is there anything you could be doing better, or is the manager being unreasonable? If its the latter, personally I would communicate this with them and say that it's too much because of reasons x y z so I'm not sure how I feel about this feedback.
Original post by kg00105

Kyle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first thing I would like to point out to you is that you genuinely should take constructive feedback as a very positive thing. Good managers will highlight your strong points but will not labour the point - nobody is perfect, and it sounds like this manager is really trying to help you get on by explaining how you can improve. I work in the NHS and this kind of management is rare so honestly, I would be pleased if I were you that you have been given this at all.

Secondly, you are a placement student so you're not going to be 'perfect' (nobody is perfect, but you know what I mean). I think your sheet is very good and positive for a placement student actually. Perhaps your manager could've been a bit more positive but I really think you should come away from this positively knowing how to develop yourself in the future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending