The Student Room Group

June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelstresss
the point is, they can't.

Oh sorry, I meant immigration.
I think they can if the borders can be secure.
Original post by Alextaylor6
Wtf Scotland, you're the land of the brave and you want to remain in a outdated Union?

They don't though, that's why they're looking at bailing out.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
They don't though, that's why they're looking at bailing out.

Err your joking right? Scotland now wants to leave the UK to be part of the EU...
Err your joking right? Scotland now wants to leave the UK to be part of the EU...

The UK is a failing union as a result of last night, it's shown that England and Scotland are simply not compatible, the latter being a bunch of liberal Europhiles, and the former... Given the choice between UK or EU, Scotland will choose the latter. And as a Scot that's fine by me, it's my way back into the EU.
The UK is a failing union as a result of last night, it's shown that England and Scotland are simply not compatible, the latter being a bunch of liberal Europhiles, and the former... Given the choice between UK or EU, Scotland will choose the latter. And as a Scot that's fine by me, it's my way back into the EU.

Yeah that's fine you have your own opinion, this has indeed split the nation but I think most people will soon realise that this was right. Other countries are now looking to have referendums of their own
Yeah that's fine you have your own opinion, this has indeed split the nation but I think most people will soon realise that this was right. Other countries are now looking to have referendums of their own

Yeah, definitely right to remove our right to move and work abroad. To end a union that's lasted 300 years and irrevocably damage relations between us and england. The problems with this country were never with the EU, at best we might start to run out of scapegoats a bit sooner and have to confront the actual problem - a serious disconnect between the rural and working class voters and the city, and a style of politics which consistently serves the upper echelons of society at the expense of the poorest among us, but leaving the EU won't solve that.
Yeah, definitely right to remove our right to move and work abroad. To end a union that's lasted 300 years and irrevocably damage relations between us and england. The problems with this country were never with the EU, at best we might start to run out of scapegoats a bit sooner and have to confront the actual problem - a serious disconnect between the rural and working class voters and the city, and a style of politics which consistently serves the upper echelons of society at the expense of the poorest among us, but leaving the EU won't solve that.

Who said we are getting rid of our free movement rights, it completely depends on the deals we can negotiate. And you talked about solving inequality, why you think London was a majority remain lmao
Who said we are getting rid of our free movement rights, it completely depends on the deals we can negotiate. And you talked about solving inequality, why you think London was a majority remain lmao

Not being bound by the freedom of movement was one of the big points leave were making...
Not being bound by the freedom of movement was one of the big points leave were making...

Yes well done, I said our rights not people looking to migrate into the uk
Yes well done, I said our rights not people looking to migrate into the uk

:facepalm:- so you think the EU will let us have free movement out but not in? We stop allowing the free movement of workers and letting people migrate in - that works both ways.
:facepalm:- so you think the EU will let us have free movement out but not in? We stop allowing the free movement of workers and letting people migrate in - that works both ways.

We have more leverage than you think, and even if we don't get that, a visa only takes a short amount of time to complete, really not a big deal
We have more leverage than you think, and even if we don't get that, a visa only takes a short amount of time to complete, really not a big deal

Not that much. You're living in a fantasy if you think there's even a slight chance you'll be allowed free movement into the EU without EU citizens being granted free movement into you.
Free movement is dead, or will be. Leave won entirely on unrestricted movement with the Eu. The UK doesn't have the Euro, is not part of schengen, so what exactly was the vote for?? To stop unrestricted immigration.
Not that much. You're living in a fantasy if you think there's even a slight chance you'll be allowed free movement into the EU without EU citizens being granted free movement into you.

It's possible, either way a visa isn't a big deal
Original post by Foo.mp3
Now is not a time for puerile/jubilant triumphalism. Instead, we must focus on dampening the fires of hysteria, restoring confidence, reuniting the nation behind a positive vision of a prosperous future UK, and collectively taking the country forward in a calm, considered, and responsible spirit

This means holding politicians well and truly to account, going forward, and ensuring that we mitigate risk and ward off the circling vultures preventing them from capitalising on/worsening societal conditions e.g. in terms of rights, freedoms, inequality, spatial deprivation, and division

Whichever way we voted rich or poor, young or old, urbanites or rural folk, North, South, East, or West and whatever our reasons for doing so, it now falls to each and every Brit to make the most of our revitalised Democratic powers, for the common good and in the national interest

We will pause before changing our leadership and effecting withdrawal under Article 50; let’s each and every one of us support the public/private/third sectors in making the most of this time by steadying the ship and charting a sensible course through uncharted waters

Britannia: unite, heal, and prosper

This x a million. Well said
Original post by queen-bee
Honey,the union is crumbling. Scotland don't want to be apart of it anymore and next thing you know,Northern Ireland will want to hold an independance referendum. Londoners too want to hold a referendum on London indepence. Sad times

Honey, 38% of scots and 45% of northern irish voted for Brexit... please dont pretend it was 0%

Londoners can swivel, no surprise there completely different world to the rest of the UK
Original post by james813
Congratulations everyone who got back our independence. Soon we will have a PM who believes in Britain and isn't constantly talking us down. There's inevitable uncertainty at the moment but once we start improving our trade deals with the world and use our sovereignty I'm sure the future can only be positive.

Because the sovereignty of a complete divided small island really has the ability to make an impact on the rest of the world
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Honey, 38% of scots and 45% of northern irish voted for Brexit... please dont pretend it was 0%

Londoners can swivel, no surprise there completely different world to the rest of the UK

We clearly just need to split.

Scotland can have the remaining oil and progressive politics.

London can have the economic capital of Europe and multiculturalism.

The rest of England can have racism and bunting.
Original post by Bella909
Because the sovereignty of a complete divided small island really has the ability to make an impact on the rest of the world

5th largest economy in the world, world class armed forces and a permanent seat on the UN Security council. Regaining our seat on the WTO and other organisations. That doesn't sound like a "small island" to me. And the majority doesn't want to divide it, look at the Scottish and Northern Irish independence results.
Reply 119
Original post by queen-bee
Honey,the union is crumbling. Scotland don't want to be apart of it anymore and next thing you know,Northern Ireland will want to hold an independance referendum. Londoners too want to hold a referendum on London indepence. Sad times

Nice one beeee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending