The Student Room Group

I challenge all Bremainers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
You must be drunk if you think the UK is a safe haven. No one is investing in stocks if they have a brain.

No I am perfectly sober thanks.
1: Because I think a United States of Europe is a good thing and think that, on average the EU has benefitted massively since we joined, and far more than NATO is responsible for peace.

2: Because The brexit campaign is the manifestation of everything I despise. Populist, cheap, ignorant, conspiracist, anti intellectual, borderline religious, krypto racist, hysterical, hypocritical and self serving nonsense spoon fed by Murdoch, the Mail and the Express scapegoating the EU.

3: Because i trust experts more than journalists and politicians.

4: I dislike practically everyone supporting leave from self serving Boris to the loonies at the SWP. I like most of the People Voting IN in comparison.
Original post by ManThatCan
No I am perfectly sober thanks.

Oh right...I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.
You must be drunk if you think the UK is a safe haven. No one is investing in stocks if they have a brain.

UK is definitely not a safe haven right now, but I don't think you know how stocks work lol
1. We have nothing to gain economically. The "£350m/week" stuff was made up. At the very most we'll save £180m/week, which is pennies when we're talking about national expenditure, but we won't even save that. There's always been a consensus that we'll be worse off after leaving, the only thing being debated was by how much.

2. EU immigration is overwhelmingly good for our economy. Most of our immigrants come from outside the EU, and non-EU immigrants make a net contribution of 30% less than that of EU immigrants, and are 10% less likely to be university educated. I never really understood why we wouldn't just take control of immigration we already CAN control, when that's the less beneficial immigration and makes up the bulk of it. Instead, we destroyed 40 years of work so we could get rid of skilled workers that contribute 30% more than they take out. It doesn't make sense.

3. The EU has always looked after the poorest and most vulnerable. They've introduced much of our employment rights, consumer rights, animal welfare legislation, equality legislation, human rights legislation, and so on. Whenever they've done something that hasn't benefited us, it's been something for the greater good that needs to be done but that no democratic government will attempt - like drastic climate change measures. The EU has done more for me than any government elected in my lifetime.

4. The only real reason to leave was "sovereignty". We could reduce immigration by controlling non-EU immigration, which is far less useful for us anyway. We were never actually going to save any money. The EU is democratic, and we made up 10% of the Parliament of 28 countries. We were leading Europe and making progress.
Original post by Alextaylor6
UK is definitely not a safe haven right now, but I don't think you know how stocks work lol

That is true. I don't invest in stocks unless they are well known ones.

I was being rather sensationalist
That is true. I don't invest in stocks unless they are well known ones.

I was being rather sensationalist

Fair enough, but you gotta risk it for the biscuit XD
Original post by pol pot noodles
They did propose generic plans, but again you can't really make ironclad promises when you're not the government and the government is actively attempting to hinder your access to civil service resources. There wasn't anything they could really say beyond 'leave the EU and make strong ties with the Commonwealth' and stuff.

Then the issue was the risk of failure. Personally, things weren't bad enough for me want to risk something that could have such a huge effect on us. Either way, I'm not particularly distraught or anything. We just need to make sure that now, we make the most of this opportunity.
Original post by tengentoppa
I voted remain almost entirely due to the economic benefits membership entails.

I'll start off with this argument (sourcing takes time. :wink:)

I made this info-graphic called "net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014":

net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014 cropped.jpg
Sources:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483344/EU_finances_2015_final_web_09122015.pdf#page=18
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/238337/7978.pdf#page=23

Dang it, I got a year wrong in the title of the diagram.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Then the issue was the risk of failure. Personally, things weren't bad enough for me want to risk something that could have such a huge effect on us. Either way, I'm not particularly distraught or anything. We just need to make sure that now, we make the most of this opportunity.

I'm glad! Some people need to get a grip, they're acting as if a nuclear war has broken out.
If we had voted to remain I'd have the same attitude as you- make the best out of the situation.
Original post by pol pot noodles
I'm glad! Some people need to get a grip, they're acting as if a nuclear war has broken out.
If we had voted to remain I'd have the same attitude as you- make the best out of the situation.

I like to think most people in the real world just want to get on with life tbh, this extreme sensationalist, foaming at the mouth reaction is mostly because TSR is filled with students, most on summer, with nothing better to do then whinge.
I feel that Brexit was based on greed and how much we could gain by going into isolation. Britain did not get where it is today by standing in the corner but by working with others, especially those in Europe. Being in Europe meant we made a difference, not by taking what we could and running but by giving something back to the world and making it a better place.
Original post by Lord Samosa
Because I'm not a ****ing imbecile.

lol and remainers are surprised why you aren't taken seriously

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'll start off with this argument (sourcing takes time. :wink:)

I made this info-graphic called "net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014":

net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014 cropped.jpg
Sources:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483344/EU_finances_2015_final_web_09122015.pdf#page=18
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/238337/7978.pdf#page=23

Dang it, I got a year wrong in the title of the diagram.

I'm well aware that we are net contributors to the EU.

I was more concerned with the impact of passporting rights for our premier industry, financial services. Maintaining London's status as the financial centre of the world is far more important than our net contribution.

Anyway, it feels redundant to be having this discussion now don't you think? The die is cast.

Typical response! I would love to truly know how many of you know the basic information about the EU and Shengen.

well you sound like one
Reply 36
Original post by Zargabaath
I voted remain because the leave campaign failed to persuade me there was a comprehensive plan in place to ensure the country doesn't start to fail in terms of wealth. I'm still yet to be convinced by the Brexiters.

Honestly, I probably dislike the Union as most exiters but for me it was silly jumping into the unknown with no plan. Mediocre stability was better then total uncertainty.

Yeah the problem is that there is no plan. Neither the Government, nor pro-Brexit Tories have said what they are going to do. Markets are closed for two days now. They'd better have a bit of plan on Monday.

I was a mild Remainer simply because the Government didn't tell what they would do in case of Brexit (as well as the Leave side). If there had been a clear outline of "what happens next" among the Brexiters, I would have supported it.
I didn't vote (age), but I would've voted to stay simply put: More of the same>Uncertainty. I couldn't see a certain situation where we get better of than we were before we left. I thought this before the "scare-mongering" started by the way.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I challenge all Bremainers in their convictions...

Why did you vote to remain? / Why would you have voted remain?
Why didn't you vote to leave the EU?

This is just as much for me as it is for you (because I want to see how well I can source my arguments and everything like that, which I usually ignore to do.)

I dare you. :colone:

Edit: List of arguments as I go through all of them one by one. :huff:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4185123&page=2&p=66085655#post66085655

I'm happy with how the UK was so didn't want it to change.
Now we are leaving the EU, I hope things don't change much, because I'm happy.
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
Typical response! I would love to truly know how many of you know the basic information about the EU and Shengen.

can't really say its a typical response when he was the only one on here who commented like that and yes most of us do know about the EU and have considered the pros and cons and believe its not worth the risk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending