The Student Room Group

Epq help

I'm choosing to do Economics [or alternatively maybe History but probably Economics], English Literature and Psychology for my A-Levels.

My wish is to go into corporate or commercial Law when I'm older as this is what I wish to study at university.

Does anyone have any ideas on what a good EPQ [extended project] question could be?

Also for anyone doing their EPQ at the moment, what's the experience like and is it more enjoyable than your actual subject A-Levels?

Thank you :smile:
I'm afraid I can't really suggest any questions to do, as I have absolutely no knowledge of law!

However, I did complete an EPQ during sixth form, so I can comment on it more generally. The experience wasn't particularly exciting: researching and writing an essay, then giving a presentation whilst filling in a log book about what I'd done and what I was planning to do next. The actual research and essay writing was fine, as I chose a topic I was interested in, however filling in the log book became quite repetitive and tedious after a while, due to the amount of detail I needed to go into in order to get the higher marks.

I wouldn't say it was that enjoyable personally. It was nice as far as being able to research a topic I was interested in while not having to actually learn anything (in terms of memorising information for an exam), however the whole process of having to fill in the log book, reference everything correctly etc made it less enjoyable than it could've been. Don't let my comments put you off though! I personally think that the EPQ is worth doing, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Also, a quick tip: try to make sure your question is one that you're able to argue for and against in your answer, so that you can structure your essay describing and explaining each argument, then comparing them and coming to a conclusion at the end. This gains you more marks than simply being descriptive :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'm afraid I can't really suggest any questions to do, as I have absolutely no knowledge of law!

However, I did complete an EPQ during sixth form, so I can comment on it more generally. The experience wasn't particularly exciting: researching and writing an essay, then giving a presentation whilst filling in a log book about what I'd done and what I was planning to do next. The actual research and essay writing was fine, as I chose a topic I was interested in, however filling in the log book became quite repetitive and tedious after a while, due to the amount of detail I needed to go into in order to get the higher marks.

I wouldn't say it was that enjoyable personally. It was nice as far as being able to research a topic I was interested in while not having to actually learn anything (in terms of memorising information for an exam), however the whole process of having to fill in the log book, reference everything correctly etc made it less enjoyable than it could've been. Don't let my comments put you off though! I personally think that the EPQ is worth doing, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Also, a quick tip: try to make sure your question is one that you're able to argue for and against in your answer, so that you can structure your essay describing and explaining each argument, then comparing them and coming to a conclusion at the end. This gains you more marks than simply being descriptive :smile:

Thanks again for all your advice [especially the tip for choosing a question that can have varying opinions as I imagine Law related questions could be very one-sided] :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PhoebeAlex
Thanks again for all your advice [especially the tip for choosing a question that can have varying opinions as I imagine Law related questions could be very one-sided] :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! I hope it goes well for you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest