The Student Room Group

Brexit; We dared to dream!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
Who's giving nothing back? EU immigrants on average contribute 34% more than they take in welfare and services, compared to 2% for non-EU immigrants and negative something for British natives.

If you want to see what using countries and giving nothing back is like, you should take a look at the several hundred thousands British expats that have been spending their retirement in Spain for the last few decades, that might soon be heading home.

Yeah, they do take our jobs, thats for sure. Years ago in the early 90s you would get jobs in the middle of nowhere that paid well (Factory jobs at night). A job is a job. Then the EU dross came in and employers were able to pay pit bottom wages for them to work. Both employers and the EU immigrants majorly shafted regular British workers.
Original post by James.Carnell
Yeah, they do take our jobs, thats for sure. Years ago in the early 90s you would get jobs in the middle of nowhere that paid well (Factory jobs at night). A job is a job. Then the EU dross came in and employers were able to pay pit bottom wages for them to work. Both employers and the EU immigrants majorly shafted regular British workers.

Take whose jobs? Nearly 40% of them are university educated. They're not coming here to take your factory jobs.
Take whose jobs? Nearly 40% of them are university educated. They're not coming here to take your factory jobs.

They can apply through a new points based system that discriminates by degree subject.

Where do you live? Do you live on planet Earth? Of course they come to take the low paid jobs. Employers love it. They love it because they get paid more than they do back home. Over 60 per cent of the many.
Original post by Asiimov
Everyone has to be checked for stds now because that's totally not a violation of privacy for no good reason.

inb4 "but ebola quarantines", yeah ebola is a bit more contagious mate.

Full medical history check for infectious, incurable diseases doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
Full medical history check in general, is probably quite wise.
Reply 45
Original post by Audrey18

If you knew, you would be shell-shocked.

Really helpful response. Thanks.
Reply 46
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I was actually referring to how you've mentioned it all again and again. Do you memorise it or do you write it as it goes?

And there's no need to get sarcastic with me. I was asking a genuine question.

I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I was being sarcastic. To answer your question, I type it out time and time again, word for word.

You said you posted the leaflet back to Cameron? Did he receive it?
Original post by physicsphysics91
You forgot one.

You didn't even post a meme...? :clap2:
I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I was being sarcastic. To answer your question, I type it out time and time again, word for word.

You said you posted the leaflet back to Cameron? Did he receive it?

Impressive.

No idea if he did tbh. I haven't received a reply :colonhash:
Original post by Marshall Taylor
You didn't even post a meme...? :clap2:

The whole referendum was one big meme
@Audrey18

I've no problem with anyone being a commodities broker(good luck to them in a great career) but combine that with his prestigious schooling and his claim to be a man of the people is tenuous, he's almost as establishment as it gets minus some noble or royal blood(he may have some of that as well, I don't know?). I think the accusation of "copy and pasting" comes from the fact that you've re-posted snippets of the same thing god knows how many times over the last week which isn't very original.

I'm not being a sore loser although I'm disappointed about the result. I've certainly not signed that stupid 60/40 petition that's going around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsphysics91
They can apply through a new points based system that discriminates by degree subject.

Or we could have implemented that points system for non-EU immigrants and easily reduced our population growth, controlling the source of most of our unskilled workers and not having to leave the EU.

Could you please explain why we had to leave the EU to control our immigration?

Most of our immigration is from outside the EU.

A much bigger proportion of EU immigrants are skilled workers. They make the biggest contribution to our economy out of everyone.

Why couldn't we just start controlling the immigration that we're allowed to control, which is less beneficial to us? Why distance ourselves from the source of our most useful immigrants, leaving the EU in the process?
Or we could have implemented that points system for non-EU immigrants and easily reduced our population growth, controlling the source of most of our unskilled workers and not having to leave the EU.

Which doesnt work when you expand the EU adding tens of millions of people.
Reply 54
Original post by Another
Full medical history check for infectious, incurable diseases doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

There are thriving first world countries that require all foreigners wanting to apply for work permits to undergo HIV/AIDS testing such as Brunei, Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore. This is an illustration of a government's duty to its citizens first.

@JamesN88 Farage was a Conservative. He respected Margaret Thatcher. She was the best PM UK ever had. All successive PMs after her were complete disasters. Please do not be like some of the others here and say mean, untrue things about her. It's a myth that's been passed on from generation to generation that she betrayed the miners when they went on strike.

But people from that era have clearly missed the point. She banned strikes because it was disruptive from a social and business standpoint. She preferred proper dialogues between miners and the trade unions but the miners were bent on striking. Did she have any other choice?

Could you please explain why we had to leave the EU to control our immigration?Most of our immigration is from outside the EU.A much bigger proportion of EU immigrants are skilled workers. They make the biggest contribution to our economy out of everyone.Why couldn't we just start controlling the immigration that we're allowed to control, which is less beneficial to us? Why distance ourselves from the source of our most useful immigrants, leaving the EU in the process?
I want you to very pay close attention to the following because I don't know how else to simplify things so that you can finally comprehend the substance of the issue at hand.
With the victorious result achieved by Team Brexit, UK can now do an inventory across the entire jobs sector. Data will then be collated as to which workforce has too many or too few manpower. The government will then have visibility about the gaps they need to plug and UK citizens will have a first opportunity to fill up those vacancies. Once the initial job-matching exercise is completed, data will then be collated again on the remaining available vacancies.

The government will then advertise these vacancies to not only EU citizens but also from the Commonwealth and the rest of the world. Aspiring job applicants must then complete a series of online documents akin to the Australia points based system which will include stringent checks for

•

prior criminal convictions

•

fraudulent qualifications or trade skills

•

HIV/AIDS

•

terrorists links

Once background checks have been done, the Immigration authorities together with the Ministry of Employment will then make a decision as to whether to grant a person a work-permit and he/she can start working.

The problem in UK now is that tens of thousands of citizens from the poorer EU countries have entered UK and will continue to do so because the pound is stronger than theirs. Also they are willing to work for a lot less which compresses the usual wages that would have been paid to a British citizen. Employers want to save money so obviously they will opt for the cheaper option.

If you tally the number of EU citizens who've taken jobs from under the noses of the British citizens at low wages, you will be able to discern that this displaces British citizens from ever getting a job that pays decent wages required to sustain life in the UK.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/
@JamesN88 Farage was a Conservative. He respected Margaret Thatcher. She was the best PM UK ever had. All successive PMs after her were complete disasters. Please do not be like some of the others here and say mean, untrue things about her.

In the interest of maintaining a civil conversation we can agree to disagree on that.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Another

I consider it an invasion of somebody's privacy that cannot be justified for any public health reason.
Reply 57
Original post by Asiimov
I consider it an invasion of somebody's privacy that cannot be justified for any public health reason.

It is an extension of the social contract theory. If you were/are a diligent law student, you would have been/be familiar with this doctrine. Please read up on it. Educate yourself.

Guess who's laughing now?

Thank you for the quote, but I'm afraid not me.

I came out for a brexit because I think there are deep problems with the EU as it applied to the UK which are inevitably beyond reform, and that we would be better in the long-term to separate ourselves from a project whose broadly accepted long-term aim the British public would never accept.

However, I think we shouldn't be under any illusions about the definite short-term and potential longer-term trouble it could cause. Personally I am trying to maintain my sanguine disposition at the moment.
It is an extension of the social contract theory. If you were/are a diligent law student, you would have been/be familiar with this doctrine. Please read up on it. Educate yourself.

The whole point of social contract theory is to benefit society as a whole. Invading people's privacy over diseases that are not very contagious isn't justified.

Quick Reply

Latest