The Student Room Group

Is this relevant medical work experience?

I have a paid job that I've been doing weekly for a year where I help tutor kids. The reason why I ask is that some of the students have learning disabilities so I've also helped them and watched over them. Would this be relevant experience for medicine?
Well it's not "work" experience because it's not in a hospital setting but it's still EXPERIENCE.

It is relevant for applying to medicine because it's helping people, but won't give you much insight into what life is like as a doctor.
Mention what you gained from working with disabled children.
Reply 2
Original post by alkaline.
Well it's not "work" experience because it's not in a hospital setting but it's still EXPERIENCE.

It is relevant for applying to medicine because it's helping people, but won't give you much insight into what life is like as a doctor.
Mention what you gained from working with disabled children.

Work experience doesn't have to be in a hospital. But it's relevant. It's not work experience though because it's an actual job. But that doesn't matter. It's about what you learn from it
Original post by mliela
Work experience doesn't have to be in a hospital. But it's relevant. It's not work experience though because it's an actual job. But that doesn't matter. It's about what you learn from it

I meant GP or hospital wherever someone with a medical degree would work .. Tutoring kids is not medical work experience that's what I was saying -.-.

And you literally just repeated what I said at the end.
Original post by Aquafreshh
I have a paid job that I've been doing weekly for a year where I help tutor kids. The reason why I ask is that some of the students have learning disabilities so I've also helped them and watched over them. Would this be relevant experience for medicine?

You would still need voluntary work or work experience in a hospital environment to get an insight into what a doctor is all about, but yes it is incredibly valid experience.

I remember being asked at interview how I would communicate with someone who struggles with communication themselves, and I used my experiences with my family and my tutoring of disabled children.

Remember its also life experience, so its very valid.
Original post by Aquafreshh

Hi Aquafreshh

As some others have already said, the most important thing when it comes to work experience when applying for medicine is what you have gained from that experience.

Medical schools are looking for you to be able to reflect on the experiences you have had in a mature way.

If you feel that you have gained a different perspective and skills that are transferable to your medical studies, then it is absolutely valid work experience.It is much more about what you have gained from the experience than where it took place or for how long you did it.

You might be interested in reading this blog post which is on this very subject!

I hope that has been some help... do give me a shout if you have any questions.

UniAdmissions
Hi,

If you are looking for work experience in a hospital setting and wanting to undertake voluntary work we can definitely help. You can find out how you can get involved at http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/about-us/ and if you have any questions at all just give us a ring on 0191 603 111 or email [email protected]

Speak soon!
Karoline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending