The Student Room Group

Christian ice cream man battered by Muslims who claimed lollies possessed evil spirit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bolly_mad

And you do realise that with a bigger economy comes an increase in per capita income too, right?

Does it? Wouldn't that depend on how fast the population increases? Total wealth is irrelevant if it is spread thinly.

India's per capita GDP (PPP) is about $6,000. It has a long way to go to catch up with Canada's $45,000, especially when its economy is growing at 6% and its population is growing 17%. It is falling behind, not catching up.

It is a shame you have had to descend to insults instead or real argument.
I respectfully disagree. It will improve economically, that's much is a certainty that pretty much ever economist has agreed with. A bad year for India is 6% growth. That says something.

Fair enough.

Not every Indian doctor and engineer in India migrates abroad (who do you think designed and built their mars mission?). Also currently, around half of India's economy is based in agriculture so increasing focus on the secondary sector is a good thing to balance things out a bit.

I actually thought the secondary sector was majorly dominant. Half of the economy being in agriculture while the rest being secondary isn't really a good thing. It's very easy for developed countries to take advantage of these by paying jack for whatever India produces in bulk. Just watch a documentary on how poorly the workers are paid. Being stuck in the secondary sector is an improvement and the country has potential but for the present it's not a great thing.

I've heard overpopulation thing a lot, I'm probably in the minority that thinks India's population is a good thing. A few decades from now India will have a potential domestic market of 1.5 billion people. That's a huge opportunity economically as long as the right policies are pursued. And the population is projected to stabilise naturally toward the end of this century. Besides, India is a big country. It can handle it.

It is a minority lol. You've got high unemployment rates (hence, slow development), and while it may be a "big country", it would definitely lack resources to provide for as many people such as food, oil, clean water...; there would be lack of services such as education, healthcare, transportation as well as fewer houses leading to more people living in slums, with more people, you get more disease and again a bigger strain on healthcare... etc. The list goes on.

Not all 1.5 billion people have the cash to boost the economy, so no it's more of an economic burden.
(edited 7 years ago)
i dont like Cornettos either
Original post by Good bloke
Does it? Wouldn't that depend on how fast the population increases? Total wealth is irrelevant if it is spread thinly.

India's per capita GDP (PPP) is about $6,000. It has a long way to go to catch up with Canada's $45,000, especially when its economy is growing at 6% and its population is growing 17%. It is falling behind, not catching up.

It is a shame you have had to descend to insults instead or real argument.

I like how you pick and choose what to reply to (in other words you have no reply and so ignore those points).

Actually India's economy is currently growing at close to 8% and the population growth is 1.25%. Don't make up figures just to suit your argument. Though if it makes you feel better to live in delusion, go ahead. It isn't going to stop Indians in any way.

Also, you do realise that the current GDP PPP per Capita of $6,500 will be growing at close to double digits for the next 2-3 decades, compared to Canada's of around 0.5% -1%. That's the whole point of this debate, that based on projections, by the time India reaches Canada's current age as an independent nation (80 years from now) it will have surpassed Canada economically and in per capita income. What part of this simple concept do you fail to understand?

And you can hardly complain about real arguments, when thus far you haven't offered one of your own.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by champ_mc99
Fair enough.

I actually thought the secondary sector was majorly dominant. Half of the economy being in agriculture while the rest being secondary isn't really a good thing. It's very easy for developed countries to take advantage of these by paying jack for whatever India produces in bulk. Just watch a documentary on how poorly the workers are paid. Being stuck in the secondary sector is an improvement and the country has potential but for the present it's not a great thing.

Obviously, having half the economy in agriculture is not ideal, but as I have pointed out before, India is only 69 years old as a nation state with a stable, if messy, democracy. Things take time. The growing emphasis on industry and manufacturing is mainly as a way to create a lot of jobs as well as to reduce India dependence on imports. If it can strike a balance between growing a consumption class along with industrialisation (rather than create a consumption class after mass industrialisation as in the case of China), then it can increase salaries and labour standards for its workers while using access to its large market as a hedge against labour exploitation.

It is a minority lol. You've got high unemployment rates (hence, slow development), and while it may be a "big country", it would definitely lack resources to provide for as many people such as food, oil, clean water...; there would be lack of services such as education, healthcare, transportation as well as fewer houses leading to more people living in slums, with more people, you get more disease and again a bigger strain on healthcare... etc. The list goes on.

Not all 1.5 billion people have the cash to boost the economy, so no it's more of an economic burden.

I would hardly call India's unemployment rate as high. Yes between 4.8% and 9% is an uncomfortable level, but to be fair, that's because India recently had an ineffectual government that spent five years doing very little. The recent government is making all the right moves - again things don't happen overnight. And it has hardly 'slowed' India's development, if anything India's general development has been accelerating as of late thanks to low commodity prices and increased government spending on infrastructure.

Again, I disagree with the points you've made. You'll have to explain how India 'lacks the resources for as many people'???? By what measurement do you make this statement? India has the 2nd highest amount of arable land in the world. It is essentially a giant peninsular thrusting into the Indian Ocean. Desalinated water and its own water sources can meet India's water needs. And although India currently has to import a lot of oil (mainly from Iran), it looks as though it will not need to as much in the future thanks to several forward thinking initiatives from the new government such as plans for 100% electric vehicle usage by 2030 and 175GW of renewable energy by 2022.

I'm curious, where did you get the idea there will be a ''lack of services like education, healthcare, transportation as well as fewer houses leading to more people living in slums''???? Do you think the Indian government won't invest in these things? I don't think the recent green-lighting of bullet trains and multiple city mass transit lines can count as lack of transportation. Also the scheme to build 20 million homes at a cost of $30bn by 2022 specifically to remove all slums and provide housing to the poor will actually prevent slum living in the future. And healthcare is not as simple as saying more people = more disease. Increasing populations in the US and China did not lead to increased disease, quite the opposite in fact, as more people = bigger economy = more human and monetary resources = more investment = improved healthcare. And given Indian programs like rural tele-medicine and availability of cheap medicines (unlike in the west), I don't think a health epidemic is as likely as you think (in fact, if there was going to be one in India, it really should have already happened).

I'm not sure where you're getting most of your information from, but you seem to have quite an incomplete picture of India for some of the assumptions you're making.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
x

If the current government can only ever do one thing, it would be to get rid of MNREGA - it is such a huge waste of money and it adds very little value (if any) to the Indian economy. It has to go down as one of the failures of the previous administration and, only for political reasons, the current govt. are intent on keeping it :facepalm:

There are so many good reforms and projects being launched by the current govt. but MNREGA is just a blood cash sucker :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Which is exactly why India is home to the Golden temple and has more gurdwaras and churches than Pakistan.

If I recall, after the partition of India and Pakistan, Hindus massacred more Sikhs in one year than in Pakistan's 70 odd year history combined, and have systematically divided Punjab into multiple states and removed Punjabi from schools in Punjab itself, and has also weakened them by diverting loads of Punjab's river water to other states (at the risk of drying up Punjab in the long run)... let's not forget that it was India who besieged the Golden Temple even though there was no need to.

Then there are the several instances of Hindu mobs massacring Muslims, e.g. the Gujrat riot, the planned attack on the Muslim family with 'cow' meat (was really goat meat) etc.

The Indian government and some sections of society collectively are snakes which aim to crush minorities slowly to bolster their pro-Hindu nationalistic identity.
Original post by nucdev
If the current government can only ever do one thing, it would be to get rid of MNREGA - it is such a huge waste of money and it adds very little value (if any) to the Indian economy. It has to go down as one of the failures of the previous administration and, only for political reasons, the current govt. are intent on keeping it :facepalm:

There are so many good reforms and projects being launched by the current govt. but MNREGA is just a blood cash sucker :lol:

I actually don't know that much about MNREGA tbh. Something about paying the poor unemployed to dig wells or something. Not sure how much it costs. But yeah, sounds like a waste on the face of it.
Original post by Zamestaneh
If I recall, after the partition of India and Pakistan, Hindus massacred more Sikhs in one year than in Pakistan's 70 odd year history combined, and have systematically divided Punjab into multiple states and removed Punjabi from schools in Punjab itself, and has also weakened them by diverting loads of Punjab's river water to other states (at the risk of drying up Punjab in the long run)... let's not forget that it was India who besieged the Golden Temple even though there was no need to.

Then there are the several instances of Hindu mobs massacring Muslims, e.g. the Gujrat riot, the planned attack on the Muslim family with 'cow' meat (was really goat meat) etc.

The Indian government and some sections of society collectively are snakes which aim to crush minorities slowly to bolster their pro-Hindu nationalistic identity.

Yeah. Sure. If you say so. By the way, who was that Sikh Prime Minister and that Hindu President of Pakistan. I forget their names.
Yeah. Sure. If you say so. By the way, who was that Sikh Prime Minister and that Hindu President of Pakistan. I forget their names.

Maybe you can ask this Sikh guy in Delhi - he probably knows more about South Asian regional politics than me.

Maybe you can ask this Sikh guy in Delhi - he probably knows more about South Asian regional politics than me.

Dude. Don't even get me started on Pakistan. I can post 10 pics on barbarism in Pakistan for every one you post. The fact that you posted that pic shows you have no class. You don't give a crap what happened to him or any Muslims or Sikhs. You're just using their issues for your own personal agenda. Loser.

It's clear that like 99.9% of Pakistanis you're simply jealous and bitter over India's current and future progress over that s***hole you call a holy land. Stew in your bitterness while Indians (which includes Muslims and Sikhs btw) laugh at you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Dude. Don't even get me started on Pakistan. I can post 10 pics on barbarism in Pakistan for every one you post. the fact that you posted that shows you have no class.

It's clear that like 99.9% of Pakistanis you're simply jealous and bitter over India's current and future progress over that s***hole you call a holy land. Stew in your bitterness while Indians (which includes Muslims and Sikhs btw) laugh at you.

No need to swear and get defensive or emotive; did I touch a nerve or something? :lol:

I am not Pakistani, I am Indian, and I was born into a family with Sikh heritage :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
No need to swear and get defensive or emotive; did I touch a nerve or somehing? :lol:

I am not Pakistani, I am Indian, and I was born into a family with Sikh heritage :rolleyes:

No. What you are is a simpleton.

And anyone who actually deserves to call themselves Indian (or Indian-Origin) would have had a nerve hit. You don't fall into that category. Some people got it by birth, but don't deserve it.
No. What you are is a simpleton.

And anyone who actually deserves to call themselves Indian (or Indian-Origin) would have had a nerve hit. You don't fall into that category. Some people got it by birth, but don't deserve it.

U mad? Soz, boo, I'm not a nationalist or a patriot, but can't blame me when some aspects of India are hard to love </3

Oh yeah, some people get to be called Indian not by choice too, like Kashmiris :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 74

looks like you need educating too because everything that @Zamestaneh said, is correct.
U mad? Soz, boo, I'm not a nationalist or a patriot, but can't blame me when some aspects of India are hard to love </3

Not anymore. That reply told me that I no longer need to care about anything you've said, or will say from now on.

Bye now. Have fun hating India while ass-licking the people that stop you at airports, and call you a terrorist while they shoot up your temples.
Not anymore. That reply told me that I no longer need to care about anything you've said, or will say from now on.

Bye now. Have fun hating India while ass-licking the people that stop you at airports, and call you a terrorist while they shoot up your temples.

Your emotional responses and lack of addressing the fundemental facts I raised deserved a response of equal calibre, so I hope I didn't disappoint.
Original post by Croco
looks like you need educating too because everything that @Zamestaneh said, is correct.

Not by the likes of you. I've already put you in the same bracket as him.

I'll tell you the same thing. Have fun stewing in your hatred of India. You'll find most Indians (including Muslims and Sikhs) wont give a cr*p.
Your emotional responses and lack of addressing the fundemental facts I raised deserved a response of equal calibre, so I hope I didn't disappoint.

Dude. You need to talk to someone else now. Bye.
Reply 79
Not by the likes of you. I've already put you in the same bracket as him.

I'll tell you the same thing. Have fun stewing in your hatred of India. You'll find most Indians (including Muslims and Sikhs) wont give a cr*p.

thats your problem not mine. i do not know you therefore i don't care what bracket you put me in and yes by the likes of me you do because you clearly cannot be bothered to educate yourself.

where have I said that I hate India? pray show me where I have? why are you getting so worked up? I happen to love my nation but that does not mean I can't point out it's flaws. I am Sikh fyi :kiss:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending