The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Wot?

No legally binding contract has been signed by anyone, and the referendum is only advisory. Strictly speaking it has no legal standing at all.

By the way: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

lmao the same guy that promised things then backed out once the vote was done. kay
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Twitter has gone nuts with Brexit. The number of tweets that have called Brexiters racist is unbelievable.

Racist haha but they're white! xD surely they can't be that overly-sensitive.

Note: if i even mentioned middle-easterns or asians or black people i would immediately, even on here, be called a racist. No one can properly talk about immigration due to the overly used term, racism. There's no earthly reason to have so many non-UK people in the UK. Hell, I'm probably already a racist in some "politically correct" peoples' eyes here anyway. Doesn't bother me.

However there's no reason for Remainers to start name calling because they didn't win ;D
Absolutely ridiculous ... 2nd ref for UK's membership of the EU and Scottish Independence is a call for undemocratic politics, we SHOULD and MUST accept the result even if we disagree with the outcome. There's no going back. Linking with the idea of a 2nd ref, the idea for London to gain its own independence is beyond ludicrous and I don't think that's even possible.
Original post by JTran38
Absolutely ridiculous ... 2nd ref for UK's membership of the EU and Scottish Independence is a call for undemocratic politics, we SHOULD and MUST accept the result even if we disagree with the outcome. There's no going back. Linking with the idea of a 2nd ref, the idea for London to gain its own independence is beyond ludicrous and I don't think that's even possible.

I partly agree- We shouldn't have another EU Referendum.

Although, I do think Scotland deserve another referendum because the situation has changed. The Scottish were told if they left they wouldn't be guaranteed a place in The EU, now they have been dragged out of The EU against their will! (Same with NI btw!)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"I could not consent to the introduction into our national life of a device so alien to all our traditions as the referendum, which has only too often been the instrument of Nazism and fascism."

-- Clement Attlee, speaking in 1945.

How? That is like saying democracy is the essence of fascism. Fascist were thrown notion power buy the will of the people. Obviously we should abandon all notion of democracy.
No problem with Scotland going for another referendum. Another EU referendum no thanks, same idiots will just spoil it :lol:
I don't get how Brexiters are racist. Most Europeans are white.
Reply 187
Over 275,000 signatures now.
Original post by jneill
Over 275,000 signatures now.

Leave won by over 1.3mil mate, its a lost cause. You leave the EU or leave the UK.
Sigh, somehow I knew this would happen whether the result was remain or leave. And if we had a second referendum, it would happen again. This decision was reached democratically. Now, we need to stick with the choice Britain made.
Reply 190
Original post by physicsphysics91
Leave won by over 1.3mil mate, its a lost cause. You leave the EU or leave the UK.

So if it gets to 650,000 then what?

And see my earlier post about this petition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It won't happen but personally I find it an insult to say a campaign which won based on lies and misinformation is a 'fair' result, you say it is undemocratic to want a second referendum but it is equally undemocratic to base a campaign on a blatant lie and mail half a dozen leaflets stating it as a fact. If you are saying people were not misled in any sense you are in my opinion incorrect, I think people have voted based on the egos of some politicians rather than the facts. I'm not saying all people have voted that way, but a significant portion heard that argument and will have used them 'facts' when considering how to vote. To say people are sore losers is a generalisation, I stated before the referendum that this vote would be based on misinformation and that the public would be worse off for it and I am worried that has occurred today.
Its okay, lets leave the EU and let Scotland and Northern Ireland leave!

Whose idea was it anyway to do this referendum in the first place
Reply 193
Original post by metrize
Its okay, lets leave the EU and let Scotland and Northern Ireland leave!

Whose idea was it anyway to do this referendum in the first place

...and London.

David Cameron.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
...and London.

David Cameron.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has a city in a country wanted independence recently?

The only recent example I can think of is Catalonia wanting independence from Spain, would be interesting how that would work
Reply 195
Original post by metrize
Has a city in a country wanted independence recently?

The only recent example I can think of is Catalonia wanting independence from Spain, would be interesting how that would work

No idea. 95,000 people (and rising) are petitioning for it.

London Independence petition here: https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-declare-london-independent-from-the-uk-and-apply-to-join-the-eu

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No idea. 30,000 people are petitioning for it. (A separate petition to this one).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. Will keep an eye on it, thanks
I voted remain and even though I applaud this petition for its efforts, I doubt it will change a thing. If a second referendum does come in to play, it will only cause further uproar and commotion amongst those who voted to leave.
Leave has won, and we have to respect that vote even if we don't agree with it. Right now, as a country we need to bridge the divide we have amongst people and only work towards a better future for this country, and still have good relations with the EU and the rest of the world.
This however seems to be overwhelmingly uncertain.
Reply 198
Original post by SMEGGGY
145.000 so far, wish it was at least 16 million..... :smug:

Hope we get a 2nd as said it's so so close. Like leadership votes when too close, a 2nd vote is done so should we be allowed on a referendum!

Posted from TSR Mobile

410,000 now.
Original post by tes5983
move on to fact that Britain IS ON THE VERGE OF SPLITTING UP!

Not as much as the EU is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending