The Student Room Group

I voted Leave and 2 things are really making me regret it

1) I didn't believe that Scotland would be so Pro-EU and I do not wish for the UK to break up. Which it still may not but it is more of a risk than thought likely. I would prefer a United Britain in the EU than a fragmented one out (my top choice would be a united out but that is looking increasingly less likely to happen).

2) The younger votes have been ignored. As a young voter myself I do see the reasons for remaining and since this will be the demographic most affected I also believe it should have been us that led the results. Since they have voted more in favour of In than anticipated and now (too late I may add) so many pro-remainers are coming out making the positive case I am finding that I shouldn't have been so stubborn in my position and likely tossed out perfectly good points that I should have considered more deeply.

I hope I made the right decision, one that I was increasingly on the fence for after I had already cast my postal vote, but it's looking increasingly likely I didn't. However, i would like to point out a United Country could make this work for all of our benefit. We may just have to accept the result and move on for the future.

I will also be looking at politics and my views in much more detail than before as I feel my passion for certain issue has weakened my ability to make an actual rational decision. If anything comes of this I hope everyone learns from any mistakes they may have made and that they realise name calling, insults, arrogance, complacency etc are not the way to conduct a debate.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It doesn't matter because one million more people voted to leave than remain so you didn't change anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
1) I didn't believe that Scotland would be so Pro-EU and I do not wish for the UK to break up. Which it still may not but it is more of a risk than thought likely. I would prefer a United Britain in the EU than a fragmented one out (my top choice would be a united out but that is looking increasingly less likely to happen).

2) The younger votes have been ignored. As a young voter myself I do see the reasons for remaining and since this will be the demographic most affected I also believe it should have been us that led the results. Since they have voted more in favour of In than anticipated and now (too late I may add) so many pro-remainers are coming out making the positive case I am finding that I shouldn't have been so stubborn in my position and likely tossed out perfectly good points that I should have considered more deeply.

I hope I made the right decision, one that I was increasingly on the fence for after I had already cast my postal vote, but it's looking increasingly likely I didn't. However, i would like to point out a United Country could make this work for all of our benefit. We may just have to accept the result and move on for the future.

I will also be looking at politics and my views in much more detail than before as I feel my passion for certain issue has weakened my ability to make an actual rational decision. If anything comes of this I hope everyone learns from any mistakes they may have made and that they realise name calling, insults, arrogance, complacency etc are not the way to conduct a debate.

Not to worry too much. We did appreciate your vote.
Original post by Trapz99
It doesn't matter because one million more people voted to leave than remain so you didn't change anything.

That is very true but I think a lot of people maybe in the same boat as me. I do also place some blame on the remain camp that alienated a lot of voters and their tactics just made me put up that wall too soon in the debate.
Original post by Trapz99

But then how many of the leave voters are now actually regretting what they've done?

Every vote matters.
Reply 5
Tough ****. You did this!! :angry::angry::angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Wunderbarr
But then how many of the leave voters are now actually regretting what they've done?

Every vote matters.

It doesn't matter if they regret it. The decision has been made.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Tough ****. You did this!! :angry::angry::angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you never know it could still turn out great or even have another referendum. I would also argue it was an awfully run remain camp that just attacked people and the country and a poor Labour leadership that failed to appeal to its traditional voters. They did this more than any individual.
Original post by Wunderbarr

Every vote matters.

I Voted Leave, and I dont regret my decision at all. Everything is going well, just as I hoped:

The financial market of UK has calmed after Mark Carney, the governor of Bank of England has said that he will inject £250 billion into the financial system to steady the economy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naveed-7
I Voted Leave, and I dont regret my decision at all. Everything is going well just as I hoped:

The financial market of UK has calmed after Mark Carney, the governor of Bank of England has said that he will inject £250 billion into the financial system to steady the economy.

For me its more the issue of Scotland and also turnout and actual result wasn't as decisive or balanced as I would have liked.
Reply 10
Unfortunately there has to be an age restriction. Otherwise every time people will be saying they need to lower age limits because some kids understand it. If you lower it to 16 people will say lower it again to 14, then 12 then 10
Reply 11
I have no sympathy at all. Whatever the "nazi" experts said is turning out to be true, but of course the Leave campaign disregarded it as "fearmongering".

You made your bed. Now lie on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of people are regretting their vote so don't be hard on yourself.
I personally blame the tactics used by both parties. If we all were informed better, I feel a fairer result would have been in play.
This is just my view, as I chose to stay in.
Now the country will have to respect this and build itself back up to be strong and independent.
What about the 350 million pound lie?

What about Vote Leave suddenly saying there's no need to reduce migration.

Nick Clegg delivered on free tuition in comparison to these con artists.
image.jpeg

:cry2:
Original post by Davij038
What about the 350 million pound lie?

What about Vote Leave suddenly saying there's no need to reduce migration.

Nick Clegg delivered on free tuition in comparison to these con artists.

I didn't vote based on reducing migration and the £350 million figure is fact but was irrelevant. The relevant figure would have been the £9bn or so net a year.
Reply 16
It doesn't really matter as people have said, most of the UK voted like they were choosing the next X Factor winning contestant - there's no going back now
Let's kill off the idea that 'younger votes have been ignored' and they are somehow more valuable than older votes. That's not how we run elections in this country and everyone knows it. I'm all for sensible debate, but the result is in, we're leaving, so please stop spouting nonsense about your vote being worth more than your grandad's.
Original post by *Stefan*
I have no sympathy at all. Whatever the "nazi" experts said is turning out to be true, but of course the Leave campaign disregarded it as "fearmongering".

You made your bed. Now lie on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I told you so doesn't quite cut it.

In one day they've had to inject approximately 25 years worth of EU budget contributions into the economy to stave off the chaos invoked by leaving and Nigel has backtracked on his phantom £350 million within 24 hours.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Duncan2012
Let's kill off the idea that 'younger votes have been ignored' and they are somehow more valuable than older votes. That's not how we run elections in this country and everyone knows it. I'm all for sensible debate, but the result is in, we're leaving, so please stop spouting nonsense about your vote being worth more than your grandad's.

I completely agree but is very important to see why this divide has been so great and its just enfranchising young voters even more than before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending