The Student Room Group

Do English girls get married to international students?

I will be spending a year of my life studying masters in the UK. I am planning to get married there. How common/easy it is for marriages happen between international students and British girls?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DNA89
I will be spending a year of my life studying masters in the UK. I am planning to get married there. How common/easy it is for marriages happen between international students and English girls?

Yeah you have to have residency to get married here easily.
Original post by claireestelle
Yeah you have to have residency to get married here easily.

Thanks for the answer. I am actually asking about the British girls' perspective rather than the legal requirements. Are there many marriages between international students and local girls?
Get married? :erm:

At best, you'll find a relationship if you're lucky - I say that because you're quite intent on getting married for the sake of it (and looking for a girl of a particular race), neither of which help your cause. But all the best.
Original post by SeanFM
Get married? :erm:

At best, you'll find a relationship if you're lucky - I say that because you're quite intent on getting married for the sake of it (and looking for a girl of a particular race), neither of which help your cause. But all the best.

Marriage because I believe in it as the right consequence of a relationship. And no I didn't mean a certain race,I used English because where I would be going would be an entirely English community. It can be anyone from the local community.
There are few to no marriages within a year of meeting someone within the UK, because that would be crazy to do so.

The fact you are an international student is irrelevant.
Original post by Elivercury
There are few to no marriages within a year of meeting someone within the UK, because that would be crazy to do so.

The fact you are an international student is irrelevant.

The marriage doesn't have to happen within 12 months :biggrin: I know the way I asked the question gives the impression that I am in hurry. From your answer, I understand that not so many instances of such marriage are there and that is disappointing.
Original post by DNA89
The marriage doesn't have to happen within 12 months :biggrin: I know the way I asked the question gives the impression that I am in hurry. From your answer, I understand that not so many instances of such marriage are there and that is disappointing.

Why is it disappointing that it takes more than 12 months to get married? I thought you weren't in a hurry.
Why is it disappointing that it takes more than 12 months to get married? I thought you weren't in a hurry.

Actually one year is not a short time to know a person for marriage. May be it is a cultural difference but that is at least good to know that 1 year is considered a short time in the UK for marriage.
Original post by DNA89
Actually one year is not a short time to know a person for marriage. May be it is a cultural difference but that is at least good to know that 1 year is considered a short time in the UK for marriage.

One year is a very short time. Typically you are looking at 2-4 years or longer. It'll then of course often be another 12-18 months before you actually get married.

I proposed after 18 months and was married at 2 years and am considered to have been "very fast" with how quickly things went.

Personally I don't think you can know anyone nearly well enough to commit the rest of your life to them within a year, but to each their own.
One year is a very short time. Typically you are looking at 2-4 years or longer. It'll then of course often be another 12-18 months before you actually get married.

I proposed after 18 months and was married at 2 years and am considered to have been "very fast" with how quickly things went.

Personally I don't think you can know anyone nearly well enough to commit the rest of your life to them within a year, but to each their own.

Then should I just forget about the idea ? Because I am not a short-term relationships guy and a long term relationship which goes beyond my stay in the UK is impossible to maintain as it will turn into a long distance relationship.
If you're an EU citizen you don't nee-
O w8
No has nothing to do with citizenship.
Original post by Zargabaath
If you're an EU citizen you don't nee-
O w8

No I am not EU citizen, but would be moving to a EU country after UK.
Wait...are you coming to study or get married?

Priorities, man! Priorities!
Reply 15
Considering the recent referendum vote your chances are probably better than they were before.
Just study and find yourself a f***buddy to help with the stress from the work
Original post by bolly_mad
Wait...are you coming to study or get married?

Priorities, man! Priorities!

I swear to God this made me laugh out loud hahaha
It is a good reminder though
Original post by Dheorl
Considering the recent referendum vote your chances are probably better than they were before.

Actually I am afraid it is the opposite. Where I am going was in favor of Leave by more than 55 percent. I am sure the Brits are friendly but one never knows what politics could do to people.
Original post by Lemon Haze
Just study and find yourself a f***buddy to help with the stress from the work

I wish I could do that. I don't know if am an outlier or not, but I do not enjoy sex for sex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending