The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsphysics91
Maybe some meme magic could cure you?

I've never been a huge fan of memes, personally. Apart from the Professor Oak ones.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Took about an hour for my hands to stop shaking, and for my knees to return to some semblance of working order after I saw the result this morning. How I managed to get through a regular day at work afterwards, I don't even know.

I didn't know what to do with myself this morning so I went to work at 6am...
Original post by Rhythmical
How pathetic, don't come crying to us when your Brexit plan falls through.

Well, dry your tears, I am sure things will be better for our children than they would of been had we stayed.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Well, dry your tears, I am sure things will be better for our children than they would of been had we stayed.

I'm not going to argue, because I've been doing that way too much today, but I do recommend you do a bit of research about what it really entails being in the EU apart from immigration and sovereignty.

But does anyone even know the outcome of this and what we can gain? Its uncertain and so risky that I don't think we will be able to sufficiently survive on our own. Our reputation has always been flaky and it's going to be very hard. And no decent politician is able to lead the nation with great prosperity.
I had 'something in my eye' during the last words of Cameron's resignation speech, and I don't even endorse the man. O tempora, o mores.
First world problems, get over it you lost.

It really says a lot about the leave campaign. While we're upset about losing decades of work, economic growth, cultural relations, you're just smugly patting yourselves on the back because you won.

What do you think you've won?
Original post by JordanL_
It really says a lot about the leave campaign. While we're upset about losing decades of work, economic growth, cultural relations, you're just smugly patting yourselves on the back because you won.

The pound crashing, and the dissolution of our own union? Thanks to the leave guise for sorting that for us..
Notice the similarity:

Original post by 16characterlimit
I'm not going to argue, because I've been doing that way too much today, but I do recommend you do a bit of research about what it really entails being in the EU apart from immigration and sovereignty.

I spent 36 hours researching this in detail, I was well aware of what it entailed. We are not all knuckle dragging imbeciles like you seem to think.

Freedom from a supra national organisation with an unelected leadership. I am glad It happened like this, as if we had remained there could have been some serious instability when the EU would start to fully evolve into a nation state.
I actually feel pretty terrible for David Cameron, it feels a lot longer than 1 year ago when I thought the Tories were the scourge of the planet, when all that (most) of them wanted was stable government.

I don't think he will be judged leniently by history.
Yes, very much so.

What infuriates me the most is the sheer volume of people who used the referendum as nothing more than a way to stick it to the Conservatives, whether they wanted to stay in the EU or not. Just throwing a tantrum by rocking the boat in a decision that affects us for generations to come.

Also, according to google, the most searched phrase in the UK after voting closed was "What is the EU?" which just about sums up the majority of the leave voters I think. A campaign fuelled by plain lies and scare tactics.

It really is a sad, sad day for this country.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I expect we may well keep free movement anyway. It will be difficult to negotiate a deal which does not allow this while maintaining decent trade links, so there will probably be compromise. Even if not, skilled workers like professors simply would not be the target of restrictions on immigration. There will not suddenly be a mass shortage of professors. We won't be shut off from Europe simply because we are not in the EU. Norway and Switzerland are no less European for being out of the EU.

If they feel unwelcome, I am sorry but that is something they have to deal with. Until they are explicitly made unwelcome, this is just their perception of the result. We opted out of a political and economic union, we did not tick a box "get rid of EU migrants". It is utter nonsense and generalisation to insinuate that the majority of leave voters voted leave because of EU migrants with skilled jobs. Personally, for instance, I am barely even concerned about limiting immigration relatively speaking, let alone limiting the immigration of those who obviously contribute to the economy and to society like your professors. It is not all black and white, the world is not going to end and we are not shutting ourselves off from Europe.

Yeah I expect it to be like being in the EU, without being allowed to say any thing in it...
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I expect we may well keep free movement anyway. It will be difficult to negotiate a deal which does not allow this while maintaining decent trade links, so there will probably be compromise. Even if not, skilled workers like professors simply would not be the target of restrictions on immigration. There will not suddenly be a mass shortage of professors. We won't be shut off from Europe simply because we are not in the EU. Norway and Switzerland are no less European for being out of the EU.

If they feel unwelcome, I am sorry but that is something they have to deal with. Until they are explicitly made unwelcome, this is just their perception of the result. We opted out of a political and economic union, we did not tick a box "get rid of EU migrants". It is utter nonsense and generalisation to insinuate that the majority of leave voters voted leave because of EU migrants with skilled jobs. Personally, for instance, I am barely even concerned about limiting immigration relatively speaking, let alone limiting the immigration of those who obviously contribute to the economy and to society like your professors. It is not all black and white, the world is not going to end and we are not shutting ourselves off from Europe.

I will be pissed off if this happens. Out should be out. Why have that and become some second rate Norway accepting 2/3 of the rules yet influencing none of them? Should have just stayed in the EU then.
Original post by 99_Problems
I will be pissed off if this happens. Out should be out. Why have that and become some second rate Norway accepting 2/3 of the rules yet influencing none of them? Should have just stayed in the EU then.

Wow thanks captain obvious.
Reply 34
I feel quite the opposite. I even celebrated the Brexit victory with my family today
Original post by 16characterlimit
Wow thanks captain obvious.

How is it captain obvious when huge swathes of the UK voted leave because of the "selling point" of stopping the free movement of people? It obviously wasn't obvious to them that trade deals with Europe even outside the EU would involve following some EU rules?
I have felt sick all day, and ashamed. And angry, with special little peaks of rage dedicated to the claptrap by degrees either ignorant, racist or both, that 'leavers' have peddled as their 'reasons'. If any of it were true I might have some sympathy, but it's people who know **** all, making important decisions about something which will affect me and everyone I know for potentially the rest of my life. Values I hold dear and all the potential and possibilities of being part of a big project like the European Union flushing down the drain of a xenophobic toilet somewhere in middle England.

If isolationist Britain is the future I want to have nothing to do with it, it is a sad pathetic insular little place with no ambition. Not only this but the country I grew up in and (previously) felt proud to be a member of will no longer even exist if Scotland leave. And if the Scottish feel anything like how I feel, they will leave. Then what?

About the only perverse victory I can see in it for the Leavers is that at least if it's no longer worth living here, we'll have fewer immigrants, for every single wrong reason there is. All the people who think we are restoring national pride, or freedom, or prosperity will now have to face reality. Unfortunately I'm going to be sitting here in that godforsaken reality with them.

God this is so ****ed up, people have no clue even about the magnitude of what this means.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can't stop thinking about it. We had such a unique deal, and what makes it even worse is we who it affects did not vote for this. This result will have the greatest impact on the younger generation, and it is clear that we wanted to stay. Unfortunately, xenophobia and racism is rife among the older generation, and they have decided our future for us. Make no mistake, Cameron is largely at fault for this. He decided to hold the referendum, out of self-interest I might add, and now he's had to pay the price. That being said, I'm actually not happy he's resigning. Whilst I wouldn't vote for the Tories, Cameron has done a decent job since he was voted in, and when you compare him with the toerag that is Boris Johnson, he all of a sudden doesn't seem so bad.

PRSOM. It says a lot about the leave mentality that they're acting as if this is some kind of a game.
Original post by 99_Problems
How is it captain obvious when huge swathes of the UK voted leave because of the "selling point" of stopping the free movement of people? It obviously wasn't obvious to them that trade deals with Europe even outside the EU would involve following some EU rules?

Actually, they were told this many times, and it was promptly dismissed as "project fear".

Latest

Trending

Trending