The Student Room Group

I voted Leave and 2 things are really making me regret it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
1) I didn't believe that Scotland would be so Pro-EU and I do not wish for the UK to break up. Which it still may not but it is more of a risk than thought likely. I would prefer a United Britain in the EU than a fragmented one out (my top choice would be a united out but that is looking increasingly less likely to happen).

2) The younger votes have been ignored. As a young voter myself I do see the reasons for remaining and since this will be the demographic most affected I also believe it should have been us that led the results. Since they have voted more in favour of In than anticipated and now (too late I may add) so many pro-remainers are coming out making the positive case I am finding that I shouldn't have been so stubborn in my position and likely tossed out perfectly good points that I should have considered more deeply.

I hope I made the right decision, one that I was increasingly on the fence for after I had already cast my postal vote, but it's looking increasingly likely I didn't. However, i would like to point out a United Country could make this work for all of our benefit. We may just have to accept the result and move on for the future.

I will also be looking at politics and my views in much more detail than before as I feel my passion for certain issue has weakened my ability to make an actual rational decision. If anything comes of this I hope everyone learns from any mistakes they may have made and that they realise name calling, insults, arrogance, complacency etc are not the way to conduct a debate.

there are many narrow minded "leavers" who are now regretting what they did.

I'm increasingly bitter this is happening m8 and even more when I see people claiming Oh i never thought it would be this worse!

FFS!
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Not like that money could have been used for anything else.

Plenty of things

The EU's wasteful trips from Brussels to Strasbourg that take place
Numerous vanity projects across the EU plastered with nice EU propaganda
Bailing out the banks whilst putting a number of EU countries through austerity
Tax reliefs for corporations

I'm sure the EU political elite and corporate elite would find plenty of things to do with it whilst providing absolutely no expenses for it.

Imagine that......oh wait........
1) I didn't believe that Scotland would be so Pro-EU and I do not wish for the UK to break up. Which it still may not but it is more of a risk than thought likely. I would prefer a United Britain in the EU than a fragmented one out (my top choice would be a united out but that is looking increasingly less likely to happen).

2) The younger votes have been ignored. As a young voter myself I do see the reasons for remaining and since this will be the demographic most affected I also believe it should have been us that led the results. Since they have voted more in favour of In than anticipated and now (too late I may add) so many pro-remainers are coming out making the positive case I am finding that I shouldn't have been so stubborn in my position and likely tossed out perfectly good points that I should have considered more deeply.

I hope I made the right decision, one that I was increasingly on the fence for after I had already cast my postal vote, but it's looking increasingly likely I didn't. However, i would like to point out a United Country could make this work for all of our benefit. We may just have to accept the result and move on for the future.

I will also be looking at politics and my views in much more detail than before as I feel my passion for certain issue has weakened my ability to make an actual rational decision. If anything comes of this I hope everyone learns from any mistakes they may have made and that they realise name calling, insults, arrogance, complacency etc are not the way to conduct a debate.

1) Scotland is 40% remain and had low turn out. They wont separate.
2) Even if every 16-18 year old voted leave it wouldnt have changed the outcome.
Reply 43
Original post by Naveed-7
I Voted Leave, and I dont regret my decision at all. Everything is going well, just as I hoped:

The financial market of UK has calmed after Mark Carney, the governor of Bank of England has said that he will inject £250 billion into the financial system to steady the economy.

Nav, can you remind me, what was the UK's EU contribution again?

The Net Contribution... it's oh, um.... £8.5 billion per year. That's right isn't it?

You know, that massive amount that's going to save the NHS, and build schools, and build roads. And prop-up Cornwall, and Wales. And Durham.

You remember? That money that this whole referendum was getting hot under the collar about. (Oh that and that Mark Carney couldn't be trusted, but now your presenting him as a saviour. Anyway, back to the main point...)

£8.5 billion. Per year.

So the BoE has injected £250 billion in one day to protect the markets from the effect of Brexit.

That's... reaches for calculator... 29 years of EU contribution.

In one day.

Let me allow to you to consider that.
Original post by 16characterlimit
Economic theory doesn't account for self created busts, nor does it assume the government would ever actively pursue policy that reduces economic welfare. It also assumes individuals are rational, which didn't happen.

Check your drivel before you judge someone else.

That has nothing to do with the point I made. The point made was, it is ridiculous to blame the older generation for the recession when it was caused by the very existence of the economic model we are following. Its no shock that several key figureheads are calling for a change in the way we do economics.
Original post by jneill
Nav, can you remind me, what was the UK's EU contribution again?

The Net Contribution... it's oh, um.... £8.5 billion per year. That's right isn't it?

You know, that massive amount that's going to save the NHS, and build schools, and build roads. And prop-up Cornwall, and Wales. And Durham.

You remember? That money that this whole referendum was getting hot under the collar about. (Oh that and that Mark Carney couldn't be trusted, but now your presenting him as a saviour. Anyway, back to the main point...)

£8.5 billion. Per year.

So the BoE has injected £250 billion in one day to protect the markets from the effect of Brexit.

That's... reaches for calculator... 29 years of EU contribution.

In one day.

Let me allow to you to consider that.

Dont worry jneill. Relax, enjoy the democracy and watch the country's economy hopefully increase in time.
Reply 46
Dont worry jneill. Relax, enjoy the democracy and watch the country's economy hopefully increase in time.

Hopefully?

After all that it's a "hopefully".

Or we could have stayed with the EU and saved the economy £250 billion.

1. It was never a secret Scotland was going to get a majority vote for remain.. did your internet access only become available today?

38% of scots voted to leave..Its no given they will join the EU and the euro over remaining with the UK and the Pound

2. The young peoples vote was not ignored. Is just that 75% of young people decided they had better things to do than vote.
I Voted Leave, and I dont regret my decision at all. Everything is going well, just as I hoped:

The financial market of UK has calmed after Mark Carney, the governor of Bank of England has said that he will inject £250 billion into the financial system to steady the economy.

Where did that £250 billion come from?

And you were worried about the pennies (compared to above figure) we had to pay to stay in the EU looooooool

Sometimes I wish your account was a joke one rather than serious because your blase attitude to the effects of Brexit (which every expert pretty much predicted) is extremely disheartening.

Oh, and I'll enjoy my democracy when we have an elected second chamber and proportional representation. Until then I'll curse the Leave campaign for duping the masses with some wistful notion of sovereignty that has come at a huge cost.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Tough ****. You did this!! :angry::angry::angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to vote leave to send a message to the establishment. That was the thinking of most of my friends too. We wanted them to wake up. Leave were never suppose to win. The polls all said remain won, it was not our fault, the polls said remain would win anyway, so we wanted to make it close :frown:
Original post by ComputerMaths97

And you were worried about the pennies (compared to above figure) we had to pay to stay in the EU looooooool

Wait, are you a liberal left winger?

Nah, it's not about the money. Or jobs. Or living standards.

All that matters is that we can kick out Johnny Foreigner and have finally got our sovereignty back.
Original post by Manchester_123
Wait, are you a liberal left winger?

Not a clue what that means tbh, didn't realise political opinions had to be labelled in groups
Original post by looseseal
Nah, it's not about the money. Or jobs. Or living standards.

All that matters is that we can kick out Johnny Foreigner and have finally got our sovereignty back.

Didn't know we lost our power in the first place tbh
Not a clue what that means tbh, didn't realise political opinions had to be labelled in groups

All your posts on this thread make you look like a social justice warrior who would vote Green Party
I wanted to vote leave to send a message to the establishment. That was the thinking of most of my friends too. We wanted them to wake up. Leave were never suppose to win. The polls all said remain won, it was not our fault, the polls said remain would win anyway, so we wanted to make it close :frown:

I don't understand why people saw the Brexit vote as a way to send a message to the establishment. Boris Johnson and Michael Gove are all part of the establishment. It wasn't a pro-establishment v. anti-establishment debate as framed by Brexit but instead establishment A (remain) v. establishment B (leave). I wish people had understood this more because then maybe they would have listened to the facts instead of voting out of emotion. I don't like the government either, I don't like the present establishment but voting to leave the EU wasn't sticking a middle finger to the government but sticking a middle finger to ourselves. We cut off an arm to cure a headache.
All your posts on this thread make you look like a social justice warrior who would vote Green Party

I'm almost certain I made 1 post on this thread by the time you made that comment. But yeah, all my posts. All 1 of them.

I'm going to assume you mean that as an insult.

Still don't have a clue what you think my political beliefs are, but it's a bit irrelevant don't you think?

You seem like the type of person that ignores a good argument if you disagree with it. But that's just a random opinion that has nothing to do with the brexit issues at hand, equally irrelevant as your comments seem.
Original post by physicsphysics91
1) Scotland is 40% remain and had low turn out. They wont separate.
2) Even if every 16-18 year old voted leave it wouldnt have changed the outcome.

Except apparently Scots had been voting leave to get a second referendum? Plenty of leave advocates on this site were counting on it. What was low about the voter turnout? It was about 70% was it not?

Also had young people had the same turnout (ignoring 16-18 year olds) then remain would have won. So once again young voters don't bother voting then complain when the older voters get to call all the shots. Ridiculous.
I bet that people like Gove didn't actually care whether or not we left the EU, they just knew that if they were front-runners of the opposing side of a referendum to the PM, that they'd have a shot at being the next PM.

You've all been played.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending