The Student Room Group

Congratulations Britain, you played yourself.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Themini
I'm using common sense and logic, something you quite clearly lack. The pound is crashing and has gone down against the dollar and is the weakest its been since 1985.

How are the bank of England going to stop it falling further? Raise interest rates...
Affecting mortgages... people cant pay...people lose their homes.

Uni fees will rise because of the interest and taxation rises. That's the only way the government is going to cope with this mess.

Uni fees will not rise, they will remain constant, because there are more EU students in the UK than there are UK students abroad.This MEANS WE HAVE THE POWER. we can charge eu students a cross between home fees and international student fees.This means higher revenue for universities, so they will not have to charge any more than is already agreed #9000+inflation.

BTW, there are many other ways, such as supply side policy, and fiscal policy that the government can use to help the economy. THIS IS HOW THE BoE can help the economy

The pound will rise tomorrow, and a low pound helps the economy in three ways
1.Makes exports more competitive, and means that British exports seem more competitive abroad, increasing demand for them and increasing the balance of payments. Those buying our good must pay in pounds,increasing demand for the pound.This increase leads to higher prices, because more money will be chasing fewer pounds

2.Stops our dependence on imports.The rising cost of importing goods means that we will increase domestic production, leading to a higher GDP, leading to a higher GDP per capita, leading to higher purchasing power, so we are more wealthy.

3.This will hit Germany, we were the third biggest destination for german exports lat year. we imported £60,859,846,783 worth of German products.There's no way they will put up trade barriers.An initial reduction in our trading volumes will be enough to show them that we are serious. This will cause German industry to put pressure on Angela Merkels party, who face elections next year, when we will still be in the EU.This means, that to appease them , she will have to promise free trade, to stop any further damage to their industry.

If we will have a serious discussion, then we can have one, or i can diss you forevermore.
Original post by Zargabaath
The oldest people in the country are the ones who've been around in and out of the EU. They're the ones who've seen how it's impacted and changed their country. They're literally eyewitnesses to the entire life of the EU. Surely they're the ones who's opinions we should be taking into account?

And the fact you're trying to remove people's right to vote shows how fascist you are. Trying to shut down people who you think differently to you.

And also if you think all brexiters are becky with 1 GCSE and old people, you need to get tf out of your bubble and try to understand and empathise with those surrounding you a bit more. You're entire post reeks of ignorance.

bs m8

Old people are not tied with stocks or commodities or even FX rate. Hell they wouldn't even know what makes them tick in today's economy. (if they did they would obviously vote remain). They will be happy with their inconsequential pension and a meager networth in the form of a house.

People who are incompetent should rightly not vote. If you want to call me facist on that so be it damnit.

Original post by Scott.
You really are quite a moron. Good luck at Uni, you'll need it.

Said the one who voted leave. :lol:
Original post by bobb99998
This is why 16 years are not allowed to vote. The pound gained back to 6% and the value of the pound could lead to an export boom and is by no means a reflector the actual real economy - was there a mass of people fired today - no. Was there panic - no.

Oh and another thing - you think that the value of the pound is 'by no means a reflector [of] the actual real economy'?!!! 😂😂😂😂😂 I am literally dying with laughter 😂😂😂😂
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
You really think that the value of the pound now could lead to an export boom 😂😂😂 Ooh and post a link to an article that proves the 6% you are talking about :smile: I spoke to 3 bankers today: every single one of them said that they were absolutely stunned and are expecting further inequality and for the value of the pound to go down even further over the next 5 years. These people are experts in finance - get the hint yet?

just go on bloomberg which I sure you will know a bout being such and expert in finance. The bankers got it wrong which is why the pound fell so much as they helped to knock it up higher during the week. Experts in finance - mate experts in finance run their own hedge funds and don;t waste their time speaking to students - with such great volatility they will be sitting over their screens making money. 3 bankers is not statically significant. Further inequality - elaborate.
Original post by James David
Uni fees will not rise, they will remain constant, because there are more EU students in the UK than there are UK students abroad.This MEANS WE HAVE THE POWER. we can charge eu students a cross between home fees and international student fees.This means higher revenue for universities, so they will not have to charge any more than is already agreed #9000+inflation.

BTW, there are many other ways, such as supply side policy, and fiscal policy that the government can use to help the economy. THIS IS HOW THE BoE can help the economy

The pound will rise tomorrow, and a low pound helps the economy in three ways
1.Makes exports more competitive, and means that British exports seem more competitive abroad, increasing demand for them and increasing the balance of payments. Those buying our good must pay in pounds,increasing demand for the pound.This increase leads to higher prices, because more money will be chasing fewer pounds

2.Stops our dependence on imports.The rising cost of importing goods means that we will increase domestic production, leading to a higher GDP, leading to a higher GDP per capita, leading to higher purchasing power, so we are more wealthy.

3.This will hit Germany, we were the third biggest destination for german exports lat year. we imported £60,859,846,783 worth of German products.There's no way they will put up trade barriers.An initial reduction in our trading volumes will be enough to show them that we are serious. This will cause German industry to put pressure on Angela Merkels party, who face elections next year, when we will still be in the EU.This means, that to appease them , she will have to promise free trade, to stop any further damage to their industry.

If we will have a serious discussion, then we can have one, or i can diss you forevermore.

Lol typical textbook answer. I lolled at the stopping our dependence on imports..Do you even know where the food in your fridge comes from?
Oh and another thing - you think that the value of the pound is 'by no means a reflector [of] the actual real economy'?!!! 😂😂😂😂😂 I am literally dying with laughter 😂😂😂😂

You should know that the value of a currency can be determined by speculation yes? Therefore he is right in a sense
Original post by Manchester_123
They are outliers and most who achieve such poor grades won't go on to succeed like them. I know you are trying to defend your one GCSE but you are only digging a hole for yourself

Are you seriously this lost ? It's june. The results come in August. I suppose you've never done GCSEs.

Today the great movement in the sterling was linked to a knee jerk reaction investors who have bet for remain who went to exit their positions immediately and being unexpected some panicked - hence the strong price action TODAY reflected positioning and not fundamentals.
Original post by Alextaylor6
You should know that the value of a currency can be determined by speculation yes? Therefore he is right in a sense

Thank you - my point exactly.

All over to you :wink:. Im done arguing if I stay long enough they might just try to convince me that global warming is a good thing for the plant.... Hats off to you! A 16 year old that is far brighter than most of these uni kids that voted to ruin our economy.
Original post by hugo13
Guys leave Zara alone, she has a point. If we do Google some result statistics, we can see that around 60% of 18-24 year olds voted to remain. This is a significant figure. However it was mainly individuals who were 50 or above who voted to leave. I think there are two factors which influenced last nights outcome - 1) A huge generation gap; I believe that the elders in the UK population have made a massively negative, irreversible decision for the Young- for the future of Britain, let's face it. 2) The referendum had a much stronger focus on capping immigration compared to the small thought us Brits gave to the MUCH more important issue - trade relations and business as a whole. This has been, historically the worst decision Britain has made to date, and one which we will certainly end up paying the price for.

Original post by Themini
Lol typical textbook answer. I lolled at the stopping our dependence on imports..Do you even know where the food in your fridge comes from?

Typical uneducated reply, showing the true hypocrisy of the remain campaign, trying to tell us that all brexiteers are unemployed and didn't even do A-levels.Your inability to even attempt a defence betrays a lack of intelligence and common sense, which you interestingly claimed to have before.
Original post by PrincessZara
Are you seriously this lost ? It's june. The results come in August. I suppose you've never done GCSEs.

You only have one GCSE, that's nothing to preach about
Original post by Themini

Most of it comes from Britain excluding some fruit. (Unless of course you shop in lidl - which clearly is not good enough for you as you might pass too many 'benefits scum'.
Original post by Themini
All over to you :wink:. Im done arguing if I stay long enough they might just try to convince me that global warming is a good thing for the plant.... Hats off to you! A 16 year old that is far brighter than most of these uni kids that voted to ruin our economy.

Wow if you think that the value of a currency completely represents an economy you really are stupid
Tbf the economic implications are being exaggerated hugely. The £ has dropped due to the ambiguity surrounding the situation and the FTSE100 fell by the smallest amount out of the top 5 European markets which if anything shows just how much Europe needs us. Obama also retracted his statement about us being 'at the back of the line' in terms of trade deals and said relations would remain close-knit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alextaylor6
We are dependent on imports..

Do you struggle to read and comprehend? I laughed at how absurd his opinion was.. Hes stating that some how magically we'll stop importing stuff when he quite clearly doesn't understand where the contents of his fridge come from and complete lack of ability to be self sufficient. We haven't been since WW2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hugo13
Guys leave Zara alone, she has a point. If we do Google some result statistics, we can see that around 60% of 18-24 year olds voted to remain. This is a significant figure. However it was mainly individuals who were 50 or above who voted to leave. I think there are two factors which influenced last nights outcome - 1) A huge generation gap; I believe that the elders in the UK population have made a massively negative, irreversible decision for the Young- for the future of Britain, let's face it. 2) The referendum had a much stronger focus on capping immigration compared to the small thought us Brits gave to the MUCH more important issue - trade relations and business as a whole. This has been, historically the worst decision Britain has made to date, and one which we will certainly end up paying the price for.

Oh that sample of 1500 people conducted by YouGov a week and a half ago, yeah great source you moron

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending