The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Changing course after results day?

Hey, before I applied I was having a really hard time choosing between subject1 and subject2. Both subjects in themselves are quite similar, sharing several units in the first year. I eventually settled for subject1. Lately I've been thinking I should have applied to subject2 instead. They both have similar entry requirements and I'm certain I would achieve these.

My question is, is it possible to change courses on/after results day? I was planning on waiting for my results to decide on whether to switch subjects or not. If I did decide to switch courses (dependent on my results), then I would call up UoP and enquire about the course change and see if it was possible.

The reason I would like to wait until results day is because I want to do extra research over the summer about the two courses, and my results could show which subject may be better suited to me.

Thanks for reading, and any help would be much appreciated.
Contact the University now and ask about switching. They may already be able to tell you this isnt possible. You cannot assume that there will be 'space' now or later so you need to start this process now. You arent committing yourself to a switch - just asking if its possible/

And honestly, if you are still 'researching' a subject then wouldn't you be better withdrawing your application completely and reapplying next year when you are far more certain about what you want to do at Uni - and why?
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Contact the University now and ask about switching. They may already be able to tell you this isnt possible. You cannot assume that there will be 'space' now or later so you need to start this process now. You arent committing yourself to a switch - just asking if its possible/

And honestly, if you are still 'researching' a subject then wouldn't you be better withdrawing your application completely and reapplying next year when you are far more certain about what you want to do at Uni - and why?

I'll send them an email enquiring about a course change later today then. I should hear back next week sometime. Thanks.

And the two courses are very similar, with just a few differences. Before I applied I knew it would either be one or the other, I was just having trouble choosing which one. The major difference is subject1 is more interdisciplinary, while subject2 is more focused on one topic. For a while now I've been thinking I would prefer to be more focused, going more in-depth into the subject rather than just brushing over many topics.
Hello,

Christine from the Information Centre at the University of Portsmouth here. If you haven't done so already, I would advise you to give the Admissions team a call to discuss your options. You can contact them on 02392 845566 or email [email protected].

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending