The Student Room Group

Are young people spoiled and lack respect?

It buggers me how young people can be so ungrateful and not do what is expected of them, and somewhat being half assed and lazy is cool
I am disapointed with my generation
I respect my elders and I believe that other young people should respect theirs, so when you see an older person give way.
Young people are over dramatic, narcissistic, look at me oh poor me, I need my entitlement.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't class myself as spoiled and I certainly don't lack respect.
Some I know act like that, but not everyone.
I'm sorry you've been so thoroughly buggered.

I'd say it's older people who are spoiled with their cradle-to-grave welfare, free-at-the-point-of-access healthcare, final salary pensions, free tertiary education and their levels of home ownership.

They can be so ungrateful and not do what is expected of them. They've benefited from 50 years of post-WWII social democracy and have spent the last 8 years dismantling it for anyone who comes behind them.

I believe you have to earn respect and admiration and that I shouldn't blindly admire and respect a group of people who've decided to ruin my future either by their ignorance, arrogance or malice.

Young people: take one too many selfies
Old people: are responsible for the state this country is in
Reply 3
I get £80 pocket money a month and I'm 18 and I don't get told to do any housework or anything lol so I'm pretty spoilt
Not all young people are spoiled. Those that voted to stay otoh...
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Mason
It buggers me how young people can be so ungrateful and not do what is expected of them, and somewhat being half assed and lazy is cool
I respect my elders and I believe that other young people should respect theirs, so when you see an older person give way.
Young people are over dramatic, narcissistic, look at me oh poor me, I need my entitlement.

I agree some young people lack respect but many young people are simply fed up of not being listened to.
I 100% respect elders like thousands of others however with tuition fees constantly increasing, maintenance grants being cut, NHS becoming more privatised, housing benefits being cut and youth unemployment being high. Its easy to see why young people are so mad. Its reducing opportunities, increasing the gap between the rich and poor and many after they graduate face years and years of paying off debts. Something many people who are 30-60 years old don't understand.
On top of that 70% of young people did want to remain in the EU which highlights the fact that many feel they aren't listened too. As we have to live with the consequences the longest.
OVERALL respect is a two way street. Just because someone is old doesn't mean that they are right or should be treated different.
Reply 6
Every generation says that about the younger generation, without exception.
Reply 7
Original post by Norfolkadam

I'd say it's older people who are spoiled with their cradle-to-grave welfare, free-at-the-point-of-access healthcare, final salary pensions, free tertiary education and their levels of home ownership.

They can be so ungrateful and not do what is expected of them. They've benefited from 50 years of post-WWII social democracy and have spent the last 8 years dismantling it for anyone who comes behind them.

I believe you have to earn respect and admiration and that I shouldn't blindly admire and respect a group of people who've decided to ruin my future either by their ignorance, arrogance or malice.

I disagree with most of your points which have contempt and total lack of respect.
Yes the majority of our age group are, some can't be arsed to vote then go to social media to complain it wasn't the result they wanted. Also seen some people saying stuff like "they'll be dead soon why did they get to vote", disgusting behaviour makes me sick
Original post by Norfolkadam

You're deluded, there aren't even any reliable age statistics for this referendum

I can't respect anyone idiotic enough to think the UK will be better outside the EU.

Most politicians: stay!

Most University lecturers: Stay!

Most economists: Stay!

Rest of the ****ing world (as you can see by twitters reaction): Stay

Half of the UK: Lmao let's leave!

I don't want to see anyone who voted leave complaining when Scotland leaves the UK and takes their oil with them. Then Northern Ireland rejoins Ireland (never thought that'd happen but it's come to that). I wouldn't blame the EU for making an example of us and being tough on trade negotiations too. We know have to bend over to them AND we have literally 0 say in their rules.

But at least we got our independence right?? Because England was utopia before we joined the EU wasn't it?

I hope there's a second referendum when the elderly population who pushed this through die off.

And how are we the spoilt ones? They were the ones with free Uni fees and ever rising pensions. We have to live through 9k+ a year and by the time we're old, legal retirement age would've increased by at least 5 years + pensions will have gone down. They've had it easy if anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
I can't respect anyone idiotic enough to think the UK will be better outside the EU.

Most politicians: stay!

Most University lecturers: Stay!

Most economists: Stay!

Rest of the ****ing world (as you can see by twitters reaction): Stay

Half of the UK: Lmao let's leave!

I don't want to see anyone who voted leave complaining when Scotland leaves the UK and takes their oil with them. Then Northern Ireland rejoins Ireland (never thought that'd happen but it's come to that). I wouldn't blame the EU for making an example of us and being tough on trade negotiations too. We know have to bend over to them AND we have literally 0 say in their rules.

But at least we got our independence right?? Because England was utopia before we joined the EU wasn't it?

I hope there's a second referendum when the elderly population who pushed this through die off.

And how are we the spoilt ones? They were the ones with free Uni fees and ever rising pensions. We have to live through 9k+ a year and by the time we're old, legal retirement age would've increased by at least 5 years + pensions will have gone down. They've had it easy if anything.

Idiotic? You have just proved my point.
You must learn to respect the democratic decision of the British public, and that is how democracy works!
It's not just young people. I've been treated like **** by people older than me, despite treating them with respect.
It's just people in general. Well, most people.

how old are you? i'd say my generation is pretty bad (17 btw) especially the young ones, they have no respect for anyone or anything lol and expect everything of their parents
Original post by M14B
I disagree with most of your points which have contempt and total lack of respect.

That was the point. :colonhash:
Original post by dskinner
how old are you? i'd say my generation is pretty bad (17 btw) especially the young ones, they have no respect for anyone or anything lol and expect everything of their parents

I am 21 years old, and yes I agree.
So many young people want to be known, want to be famous for doing barely anything.
We have so many lazy and talent less young people, who would score average in every department but yet they think the world is waiting for them.
I am not entitled, and I can take in opinion and I have empathy.
Young people are coddled and excused, oh he or she is young, they no know better, in this current climate you cannot afford to not know better unless, you mummy and daddy are wealthy.
Original post by Alextaylor6
You're deluded, there aren't even any reliable age statistics for this referendum

I never mentioned the referendum.
I think it's because most young people are facing cuts in their jobs.
Reply 19
Original post by saraxh
I think it's because most young people are facing cuts in their jobs.

Doubt it. There's a lot of jobs going and nothing annoys me more than young people saying there aren't any jobs for them. I don't have anything above average passes in my GCSEs and got the first job I applied for after school.

More like there aren't any jobs they can be bothered to do.

Yes a lot of people nowadays are entitled and lazy. Some are just lazy and not entitled, aka half of the druggies/scumbags you see harassing you on the streets.

Quick Reply

Latest