The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinpeaks
I don't really get your point. Because it's the result of a democracy those who voted for the alternate position aren't allowed to express fear and disappointment at the outcome?

That makes no sense whatsoever, and is completely detracting from my thread.

Of course they are allowed to express dismay, but they should bear in mind that they are also criticising emocracy, and also criticising the stupidity of the population, by suggesting that it is the wrong outcome
Original post by Zargabaath
I'm not that bothered tbh, sure I didn't get my vote, watcha gonna do? :dontknow:

No point whining like a child, may as well get on with it because it's going to happen whether you like it or not. Some of the reactions I've seen on here from both sides have frankly been pathetic. People crying with sadness and others with joy, cringe inducing tbh.

This decision might not bother you, okay, but it's distasteful and disrespectful to call other people pathetic. This result has terrible implications for the UK. This is a once in a lifetime decision, so of course people are go to be incredible happy/sad. If voters are informed and know what they were voting for, then I would have maybe got over it, but that's not what happened. A large portion of leave voters voted based on pure bigotry; that's incredible depressing. What's worse, the younger generation (18-49 year olds) overwhelmingly voted to stay in, but we were let down by the old folk that think Britain will go back to the glorious days of the empire. Immigration is the only thing that mattered to people, now that is pathetic.
I'm Nepalese and what disappoints me the most is that most Nepalese in my county voted leave because of 'something they read online'. All their kids and us tried to convince them otherwise and they called ignorant instead. What disappoints me the most is that a lot of people who voted didn't even have a balance view of what voting for each side could implicate.

They themselves are immigrants and they themselves have decided to shut the place from other immigrants. I don't think they even fully realise what they have done by placing their vote.

Yes it is good to have democracy but what infuriates me is that a lot of people didn't even know what they were voting for. Like please please please don't vote if you don't know for sure what you want and what's best for the country - don't just fricking vote because you've seen a lot of banners saying leave.

The results have been instant ever since the outcome of the votes and it's sickening to me seeing my dad, my friend's parents and all the other adults in my area celebrating.

A part of me felt like as if the outcome would be leave beforehand but I was holding on to my last shred of hope that we would stay. I don't even know what to think anymore. I feel completely shattered and hurt by what have happened and despite the fact that ranting about it is not going to reverse the change, I just really need to pour out my frustration.
Original post by drowzee
I still feel extremely sad even the day after. I was too tried to stay up and watch the result, but I woke up at 5am on Friday, went on my phone and looked at my notifications... There it was, the notification from the BBC news app that we had left the EU. My heart dropped and my anxiety was off the roof for the whole day. I'm annoyed my future has been decided by the baby boomers and that I was only two months away from my 18th birthday, so I couldn't vote.

When Gove said "people are sick of experts", it highlighted the anti-intellectualism in politics. People are willing to ignore experts and facts, but follow their resentment and racist attitudes towards immigrants. As a non-white daughter of immigrants, I can definitely say I have experienced more racism lately. Not only was I subjected to racial abuse not long ago, the two Sikh temples in my area where attacked on the day of the EU vote. I don't even feel welcome here anymore.

What kind of racist experiences ?
When you mean lately,do you mean in the weeks running up to the referendum ?
Sorry about the Sikh temple attack,there are some pathetic people out there :console:.I guess the anti immigrant rhetoric has emboldened some people.
Original post by XMaramena
Yes, very much so.

What infuriates me the most is the sheer volume of people who used the referendum as nothing more than a way to stick it to the Conservatives, whether they wanted to stay in the EU or not. Just throwing a tantrum by rocking the boat in a decision that affects us for generations to come.

Also, according to google, the most searched phrase in the UK after voting closed was "What is the EU?" which just about sums up the majority of the leave voters I think. A campaign fuelled by plain lies and scare tactics.

It really is a sad, sad day for this country.

I bet you so many of these "Leavers" came into the ballot, and sang 'eenie meenie' minie mo' and ended on 'Leave'.
Original post by Kadak
What kind of racist experiences ?
When you mean lately,do you mean in the weeks running up to the referendum ?
Sorry about the Sikh temple attack,there are some pathetic people out there :console:.I guess the anti immigrant rhetoric has emboldened some people.

It happened last week; I was walking alone on a quiet road at night(ish) and I heard a woman shout something at me, but I wasn't paying attention to her. She basically attacked me and told me to "**** off to Syria you Arab *****". The funny thing is, I'm not even Arab. I'm still in shock and I'm scared to go outside.

Thank you :frown: A lot of the Indians I know are really upset by what happened; it's honestly so pathetic. There's a small Sikh community in my hometown (7.6%) and the Eastern European population has grown the last few years, but it's still a majority white town. I'm genuinely scared for us.
Original post by asmuse123
I bet you so many of these "Leavers" came into the ballot, and sang 'eenie meenie' minie mo' and ended on 'Leave'.

I voted leave as a troll vote
Original post by seaholme
About what positive outcome? I can't see a single positive thing for the actual good of this country that will come out of this. From every angle it's a backwards move.

For you, perhaps, but you are a traitor. I believe in sovereignty and self-determination.
Original post by TheLittlestElf
Feel depressed about the stupidity of some of the people in the country yes, but what can you do?

Only 48% of them.
Original post by XMaramena
Yes, very much so.

What infuriates me the most is the sheer volume of people who used the referendum as nothing more than a way to stick it to the Conservatives, whether they wanted to stay in the EU or not. Just throwing a tantrum by rocking the boat in a decision that affects us for generations to come.

Also, according to google, the most searched phrase in the UK after voting closed was "What is the EU?" which just about sums up the majority of the leave voters I think. A campaign fuelled by plain lies and scare tactics.

It really is a sad, sad day for this country.

They weren't just sticking it to the Tories but to Labour as well and to Blair and Major etc etc and all those awful awful Scottish MPs -the sooner I see the back of them the better.

And they were expressing an anger with the whole rotten political system that's been building up for countless years.

How dare you tell other people how they should use their vote.

CAMERON is the person you should be angry at. This reckless ******* put your future at risk. He should have known better.

Your post has made me angrier than any other post I've ever seen on this forum.*

* but I'm sure this will have made me feel much better and I need say no more :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 130
No What's pathetic is that people like you almost signed away our future and freedom for your own personal and selfish reasons the eu is a F*CKIN joke not to mention the horrible things that immigration brought to our nation now we finally have a chance to shape our own future free of the eu SCUM.
Original post by Antediluvian
For you, perhaps, but you are a traitor. I believe in sovereignty and self-determination.

If you call having to take direction from an EU that we now have zero democractic say in "self-determination" and "sovereignty", that's directly contradictory.

We have certainly not achieved either of those things, and the fact people think we have is reflective of the huge number of people that had literally no clue how the EU even worked or the role and rights of the UK within it. So now we've royally ****ed ourselves on every other count for the flaky idealisms of "self-determination" and "sovereignty" and the absolute kick in the teeth is that they're not even true, just propaganda peddling from Leave campaigners. Watch them reel back on every single one of their promises, they've done immigration and the NHS already because - lo and behold - they weren't actual outcomes of leaving the EU. People voted for a terrible set of lies because they didn't have an understanding of the EU that allowed them to even identify what was truth and what could not possibly BE truth.

It's like living in some kind of Orwellian novel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
I feel terrible. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that my lifelong dream of working for Siemens or BMW as an engineer will probably not happen unless I move to Germany permanently. There's never been a worse time to be a scientist or an engineer in the UK.

You have the wrong mentality. Dont be small minded.
Original post by TercioOfParma
First world problems, get over it you lost.

We've all lost. You won't be laughing when Scotland leaves the UK and takes their oil with them. N.Ireland leaves too. We go into your second recession. your parents lose their jobs.

Everybody in the UK lost yesterday. It's just that 48% of the voter population was smart enough to realise it right away (hence the outrage). All you "muh independence!!!" people will understand the truth by october when Boris is PM and stage 1 of the **** show commences.

Edit: And don't think EU are going to bend over for us when it comes to trade agreements to risk more countries thinking there's no point of joining. We're going to be made an example of. You guys have ****ed our country. We now bend over to the EU and have NO SAY IN WHAT THEY DO AT ALL.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TercioOfParma
First world problems, get over it you lost.

This, precisely. Plus this notion that everyone has to now be miserable about it. I am not, and I have supported Brexit for years. I now hope that more of Europe will follow. The histrionic fits that people have gotten into over this are pretty funny though. Good enough to keep me amused for a good few years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
We've all lost. You won't be laughing when Scotland leaves the UK and takes their oil with them. N.Ireland leaves too. We go into your second recession. your parents lose their jobs.

Everybody in the UK lost that yesterday. It's just that 48% of the voter population was smart enough to realise it right away (hence the outrage). All you "muh independence!!!" people will understand the truth by october when Boris is MP and stage 1 of the **** show commences

38% of Scotland voted out. They lost on the back of a much higher oil price. They have no guarantees to be taken in as a province of the EU. And they have no central bank, like the BOE, to paper over any shocks. They're not going to commit to a hard money currency, so they'll probably just attach themselves to the failed Euro project. Good luck to Nicola Sturgeon selling any of that for another independence bid. If they lost the first one on the basis of their inability to sell the economics of it, how does she propose to win this one?
Original post by karl pilkington
to be honest I have the opposite feeling I have been buzzing all day

The economy has severely damaged.

Why so happy?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
38% of Scotland voted out. They lost on the back of a much higher oil price. They have no guarantees to be taken in as a province of the EU. And they have no central bank, like the BOE, to paper over any shocks. They're not going to commit to a hard money currency, so they'll probably just attach themselves to the failed Euro project. Good luck to Nicola Sturgeon selling any of that for another independence bid. If they lost the first one on the basis of their inability to sell the economics of it, how does she propose to win this one?

There's now a clear selling point for them to leave. Their worries last time was financial instability. Now that the England was dumb enough to drag them out of the EU along with us, they have no reason whatsoever to stay as our country goes downhill. I'm 99.99% sure that if another Scottish referendum is held, it'll be a landslide victory for leaving.

To the 62% of Scotland that voted stay, yesterday is the final nail in the coffin. It's visible proof that they don't really have a voice in the UK. That was one of the complaints for the Scottish that voted leave in their independence referendum.Every time they try and voice their opinion, they get drowned out by England due to England having a higher population.

Scotland are as good as gone. Gibraltar too. They relied on Spain for most of their medical needs since Spain is so close. Spain is even reported to be asking for joint control to try and stop the mess we've gotten Gibraltar into. My guess is N.Ireland will be after those 2. Yesterday was the first step in disbanding the UK. I can't wait to see the look on the peoples faces when Boris, Farage or (dare I say it) Michael Gove takes charge in October. It's a shame how we've literally voted ourselves into future recession but the first thing idiots on here can think of is "we're free!!!".
Original post by Antediluvian

How can you say that when the negative implications in terms of the economy, jobs, working rights, academia are so so unambiguously obvious?

I really think people like you are suffering from some delusion.
Original post by lucabrasi98
There's now a clear selling point for them to leave. Their worries last time was financial instability. Now that the England was dumb enough to drag them out of the EU along with us, they have no reason whatsoever to stay as our country goes downhill. I'm 99.99% sure that if another Scottish referendum is held, it'll be a landslide victory for leaving.

To the 62% of Scotland that voted stay, yesterday is the final nail in the coffin. It's visible proof that they don't really have a voice in the UK. That was one of the complaints for the Scottish that voted leave in their independence referendum.Every time they try and voice their opinion, they get drowned out by England due to England having a higher population.

Scotland are as good as gone. Gibraltar too. They relied on Spain for most of their medical needs since Spain is so close. Spain is even reported to be asking for joint control to try and stop the mess we've gotten Gibraltar into. My guess is N.Ireland will be after those 2. Yesterday was the first step in disbanding the UK. I can't wait to see the look on the peoples faces when Boris, Farage or (dare I say it) Michael Gove takes charge in October.

There was nothing "dumb" about this. You lost and don't like it. That's your real issue here.

Is Nicola Sturgeon going to take into account the votes of regions that don't want to leave with Scotland? Will she just let them stay on and remain with the UK? What if they are some of the wealthiest regions of Scotland?

It's a shame how we've literally voted ourselves into future recession but the first thing idiots on here can think of is "we're free!!!".

Histrionic idiocy. BTW, how's the Euro going to work out for Scotland when it is one of the lowest growth regions in the world, even with negative interest rates? Are you looking forward to a permanent zombieland where there is zero or even negative growth like Japan? You can whine all you want about "recessions" because the £ and stock market fluctuated a bit, as if freely traded currencies and companies are never meant to fluctuate in value, EVER, lest some investors begin wailing their eyes out.

Latest

Trending

Trending