The Student Room Group

Brexit: Would it impact international and EU students?

Personally, I don't find any differences yet, other than the drop of the UK pound.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ahmed Tony
Personally, I don't find any differences yet, other than the drop of the UK pound.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was definitely coming.
Collapse in £ should make it much cheaper for international students. The only other students significantly affected will be those from the EU after any transitional arrangements 2-5 years down the line. It will be up to the UK to negotiate bilateral agreements otherwise EU students will just be treated as other international students and access to student loans should be removed after the transitional arrangements 2-5 years down the line.
Original post by 999tigger
Collapse in £ should make it much cheaper for international students. The only other students significantly affected will be those from the EU after any transitional arrangements 2-5 years down the line. It will be up to the UK to negotiate bilateral agreements otherwise EU students will just be treated as other international students and access to student loans should be removed after the transitional arrangements 2-5 years down the line.

Thanks for voting leave guys :biggrin:
The Financial Time wrote an interesting article a while back.

A quarter of all public funding for research in the UK comes from the EU, making the country the second-biggest recipient after Germany. Over the past decade, EU research funding to the UK has topped £8.04bn, just behind the £8.34bn allocated to Germany.

[The EU provides]
- 41 per cent of public funding for cancer research in the UK, amounting to £126m
- 62 per cent, or £13.5m, of public funding for nanotechnology
- More than half of public funding for evolutionary biology and forestry science, and 94 per cent, or £11m, for economic theory

Cambridge and Oxford relied on the EU for at least a fifth of the total public funding they get from UK and European research bodies. For some smaller institututions the EU proportion is as high as two-thirds.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/753b2a42-1c39-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122.html#axzz4CUIk5Gt3

Whether or not any changes in research funding will occur and whether they will effect international students' desire to study in the UK, that's anyone's guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Epicurean

Whether or not any changes in research funding will occur and whether they will effect international students' desire to study in the UK, that's anyone's guess.

Immigration policies and prospective student perception of the country will also be a big factor.

If the number of international students (who pay much more than home) drop, this along with a reduction in EU funding will probably mean higher tuition fees if the government doesn't pick up the tab (which I doubt they will)... If that happens, I feel sorry for the 16 year olds who will have to incur that but didn't get a say...

Though I'll be the first to admit there's a lot of conjecture in that... who knows what will happen :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chemting
Immigration policies and prospective student perception of the country will also be a big factor.

If the number of international students (who pay much more than home) drop, this along with a reduction in EU funding will probably mean higher tuition fees if the government doesn't pick up the tab (which I doubt they will)... If that happens, I feel sorry for the 16 year olds who will have to incur that but didn't get a say...

Though I'll be the first to admit there's a lot of conjecture in that... who knows what will happen :tongue:

Indeed. I'm definitely intrigued by what effect this all may have on tuition fees, especially since current trends have been to pass the costs on to the students.

Well to be honest, everything is conjecture right now as nobody can say with certainty how things will pan out.
Surely the most obvious change is that EU students won't now pay the same as UK students, could be a very significant increase in costs.
Original post by mojojojo101
Surely the most obvious change is that EU students won't now pay the same as UK students, could be a very significant increase in costs.

You wont know what the changes are until they are negotiated. They could carry on having the same status as they currently enjoy by way of a bilateral agreement or if no agreement, then they could be treated like any other international student.

The extra cost would mean many would simply go elsewhere and fewer UK students will be able to study abroad.
Original post by 999tigger
You wont know what the changes are until they are negotiated. They could carry on having the same status as they currently enjoy by way of a bilateral agreement or if no agreement, then they could be treated like any other international student.

The extra cost would mean many would simply go elsewhere and fewer UK students will be able to study abroad.

Well, there is lots of things that we wont know until negotiations are finished. I don't imagine anyone already at University will be affected by higher fees, nor anyone who joins before the fees change.

I do think however, that we can be pretty sure that university's will charge more if they can do, especially if funding in other areas is hit by Brexit.
Original post by mojojojo101
Well, there is lots of things that we wont know until negotiations are finished. I don't imagine anyone already at University will be affected by higher fees, nor anyone who joins before the fees change.

I do think however, that we can be pretty sure that university's will charge more if they can do, especially if funding in other areas is hit by Brexit.

Well we do know we are still in the EU for the next two years plus however long it takes to activate article 50. That would mean anyone starting now would be covered till the end of a 3 year degree at least.

Its up to them what they charge thereafter.

If there wasnt a bilateral agreement in place. and we are no longer in the EU, then there would be no rational distinction to charge someone from France a different price than someone from America or China.
It will become more difficult for poor and middle-class students to leave the UK or get into it, the upper-class and some luckly extremely talented will be still able to choose to study or do research wherever they want.

Though the UK may become less attractive, as it is no more offers a open door to the EU and multinationals maybe shifting their activities into other countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Eu students will be able to stop accessing British taxpayer funded student loans thankgod. Many have no intention of repaying it and haven't actually contributed any tax to the economy.
Original post by The Epicurean
The Financial Time wrote an interesting article a while back.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/753b2a42-1c39-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122.html#axzz4CUIk5Gt3

Can somebody explain me, why this should be treated as a serious argument in any debate about leaving EU?
UK pays to EU more than receives, so you should be able to finance your science with your own funds even better (as long as we ignore economical consequences on leaving the EU, but this doesn't make this particular argument stronger).
Moreover, EU's funds, are a great example of inefficiency, broken window economics, and even frauds.
Theory of organization shows nicely why they must waste lot's of money and experience proofs that this happens.
Preferential credids, would be a much better solution than these funds, at least when it comes to a private sector investments.
Original post by PTMalewski
Can somebody explain me, why this should be treated as a serious argument in any debate about leaving EU?
UK pays to EU more than receives, so you should be able to finance your science with your own funds even better (as long as we ignore economical consequences on leaving the EU, but this doesn't make this particular argument stronger).
Moreover, EU's funds, are a great example of inefficiency, broken window economics, and even frauds.
Theory of organization shows nicely why they must waste lot's of money and experience proofs that this happens.
Preferential credids, would be a much better solution than these funds, at least when it comes to a private sector investments.

Distribution of funding, having a say where money will go to, need to cooperate in today's science to make any remarkable contributions, a recent of UK governments not helping sciences (why e.g. Germany is able to, regardless of being also a net contributor, thus it is unlikely to be the cause of the EU), the point, that money is not the only thing the UK gets (influence, attracting other scientists, cooperations, projects based in the UK [thus making it easier for local companies to profit from new developments], ...),....

I know, the Leave campaign doesn't like experts, but the universities vice-chancellors will probably know, what is good for UK universities and they were for remain. And the not-liking experts is rather a sign for the UK government not planning to fund universities.
Original post by Nathanielle
Distribution of funding, having a say where money will go to, need to cooperate in today's science to make any remarkable contributions, a recent of UK governments not helping sciences

So the government can always change their attitude, when it becomes necessary (after leaving EU)

Original post by Nathanielle
the point, that money is not the only thing the UK gets (influence, attracting other scientists, cooperations, projects based in the UK [thus making it easier for local companies to profit from new developments], ...),....

There are plenty of ways to do this on your own, escpecially with such a strong brand like UK's universities. I consider some difficulties, but I also consider that people these days trust on EU too much. I mean, on Earth's sake, on smaller scale, that is true, but international cooperation was not invented by EU. It worked in medieval, it even worked during the Cold War, beetwen the West and the East.

And I certainly hope, that EU itself will cancel the ERASMUS student exchange- it's a joke. While in some placec students have to double their efforts, because their abroad studies are not respected, in some other places they come only for cheap drinking or know foreign languages so ill that they can only say to their lecturer "I don't understand you"
UNESCO programs from Cold War period would never allow that!
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes
Original post by PTMalewski
There are plenty of ways to do this on your own, escpecially with such a strong brand like UK's universities. I consider some difficulties, but I also consider that people these days trust on EU too much. I mean, on Earth's sake, on smaller scale, that is true, but international cooperation was not invented by EU. It worked in medieval, it even worked during the Cold War, beetwen the West and the East.

And I certainly hope, that EU itself will cancel the ERASMUS student exchange- it's a joke. While in some placec students have to double their efforts, because their abroad studies are not respected, in some other places they come only for cheap drinking or know foreign languages so ill that they can only say to their lecturer "I don't understand you"
UNESCO programs from Cold War period would never allow that!

The strong universities disagree with you. And I think, they know their stuff. Of course with (way!!!) higher budget and a lot more of administrative work and the will to accept, that international projects won't be placed in the UK, it works. It is just a huge disadvantage.

How much do you have to work during your Erasmus depends on your home universites, which sets the targets of how many credits you have to do. Thus it is only down to the British universities and has nothing to do with Erasmus itself. Erasmus just helps with administration, funding the studies, etc. ... Erasmus can be also used for start-ups, internships and double degree programs or international Masters. And Erasmus garanteese, one has not to pay fees, which can be quite high depending on which universities you want to go to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
Thanks for voting leave guys :biggrin:

:rofl:
Original post by neal95
Eu students will be able to stop accessing British taxpayer funded student loans thankgod. Many have no intention of repaying it and haven't actually contributed any tax to the economy.

Inside the EU it should be no problem to get found out and being forced to pay it. One just has to do it. I mean it works in case you drive too fast, why should it not work for student loans?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending