The Student Room Group

Why we are shocked to be screwed over by baby boomers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elivercury
Well I mean they've screwed our pensions, house prices, our jobs and many other things, making us leave the EU is just the icing on the cake.

@Naveed-7 just because you are incapable of understanding the difference between a dictatorship and democracy doesn't make the EU a dictatorship. We've been screwed and it's as simple as that.

Baby boomers certainly can. "Just because you are incapable of understanding the difference between a dictatorship and democracy doesn't make the EU a dictatorship."
Original post by jg2012
Agreed.

Their parents/Grandparents fought wars and eventually laid the path for peace. The baby boomers were born into a more peaceful world, especially Europe. Not only that but they had free healthcare, social services, cheap houses and extensive job opportunities with extensive opportunities to borrow cheap capital. We don't.

Instead we have to live with the poor decision they have made and continue to make. And they judge us by different standards, through ignorance.

They also lived through the Cold War and the effects of the USSR. So I don't think it was a "more peaceful world".
Original post by Josb
People shouldn't be able to vote in the 2 years before their death.

:gasp: oh no you didn't :naughty:
Ever stopped to consider that baby boomers are the people who knew life before the EC/EEA/EU, who know what it was they were voting for in the referendum of 1975 (which wasn't what the EU is today), who have experienced first hand the burden the European project has evolved into, who have followed the problems first hand and who are arguably best placed to see the future direction of the superstate? There's a very good reason they voted overwhelmingly for an exit.
Reply 24
Original post by moggis
Over 65s should have to pass a medical in order to keep their vote.

To be honest taking the vote away from old people is not the solution and personally I think, a disgusting suggestion. It verges on ageism and old people already suffer segregation from society enough. The reason all of us 16/17 year olds are so annoyed is because we didn't get to vote and we didn't get to express our opinions and use our voices so how is the solution to that taking away the voice of a different demographic? Also, I know that the result affects young people for a lot longer but the immediate and short term effects are definitely going to be felt by the old people in our country so they deserve a say in what happens. I know people are angry about the result (I am too) and that the majority of old people voted for the leave outcome but just because we don't agree doesn't mean we should silence them, that's not democracy. 16 and 17 year olds should have been allowed to vote because we have to live with the decision longer but the solution isn't taking a right away from others.
Original post by rockrunride
Totes grateful for being a slave to the rental market for an eternity.

If your main concern is the price of housing, you would surely be an avid leave voter?
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
If your main concern is the price of housing, you would surely be an avid leave voter?

I'm actually in favour of a stable lettings market and an end to the fixation with property ownership...

But this lettings market is not like that.
Original post by rockrunride
I'm actually in favour of a stable lettings market and an end to the fixation with property ownership...

But this lettings market is not like that.

Typical ignorant regressive, blames the capitalists.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Typical ignorant regressive, blames the capitalists.

Ta.
Original post by The Roast
They also lived through the Cold War and the effects of the USSR. So I don't think it was a "more peaceful world".

I knew someone would come out with that.

Yes it was. It is widely agreed upon.

The Cold War between U.S.A and U.S.S.R never had that much of an effect on the United Kingdom, not nearly as much as the conventional warfare of the world wars.

Also the worst of the fears for everyone else were gone come the 1970s (it was the 60s that were a fearful time).

Lets not act as if the baby boomers are some sort of hero's they aren't they had a relatively easy life compared to their parents. And despite us having the best health in history, expansive technology and such, our economic state has broadly worsened.
All you lot are Idiots, Democracy is the only way, It doesn't matter what each age voted, People of different ethnicity voted remain more than leave, doesn't mean we should stop all foreigners voting?
So no matter how old you are, you deserve a right to vote, don't like it? get out of the UK
Reply 31
Original post by jg2012
Agreed.

Their parents/Grandparents fought wars and eventually laid the path for peace. The baby boomers were born into a more peaceful world, especially Europe. Not only that but they had free healthcare, social services, cheap houses and extensive job opportunities with extensive opportunities to borrow cheap capital. We don't.

The world was peaceful in the 80s, with the Falklands War, IRA bombings, and Soviet Nuclear missiles in East Germany.
Original post by Josb
The world was peaceful in the 80s, with the Falklands War, IRA bombings, and Soviet Nuclear missiles in East Germany.

The Falklands war wasn't really affecting us was it and it wasn't all that dangerous for us back home. Plus it's was a political stand off between the U.K. and Argentina more than anything.

The Soviets by the 1980s as you well know were on their last legs. The IRA - not really that dangerous, effected very few people. My mum and dad nor anyone my granny ever feared the IRA.

But if you think they are dangerous,fair enough. However not one of those things had widespread daily ramifications on the population like the world wars. Those really effected a generation of peoples.
Original post by The Roast
Baby boomers certainly can. "Just because you are incapable of understanding the difference between a dictatorship and democracy doesn't make the EU a dictatorship."

This comment made zero sense.
Original post by Lord Gaben
Those who are 65+ shouldn't be allowed to vote on such an important issue. It's as simple as that. Call it what you want, but it's just not fair on those (18-50 year olds) that voted largely in favour of remain.

I can't wait until you're 65'
Original post by jg2012
The Falklands war wasn't really affecting us was it and it wasn't all that dangerous for us back home. Plus it's was a political stand off between the U.K. and Argentina more than anything.

The Soviets by the 1980s as you well know were on their last legs. The IRA - not really that dangerous, effected very few people. My mum and dad nor anyone my granny ever feared the IRA.

But if you think they are dangerous,fair enough. However not one of those things had widespread daily ramifications on the population like the world wars. Those really effected a generation of peoples.

You're forgetting the great thumb war of 86. That left the country in ruins.
1975 they voted to join the EU didn't they? back then the EU wasn't quite as bad as it is today.

How are you being screwed exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending