The Student Room Group

BREXITERS - do you work with foreign people?

Scroll to see replies

What does it matter if you voted Brexit for an Indian person? India isn't in the EU?

I work with an immigrant Nigerian lady who came here back when she was 23 and has been here ever since. She voted Leave. She was laughing at the idea that voting Leave is inherently racist. I know a few Asian people in a similar situation who also voted Leave, I don't think there's anything racist about it at all. If anything, I think it's more racist to give preference to people simply for being European.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Most people that voted BREXIT did it because of "immigration" concerns, which obviously masquerades as racism.

My mother is an immigrant, three of my best friends are immigrants. I voted Brexit. Next theory?
Reply 22
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
There's a wonderful irony in being accused of narrow-mindedness by people who refuse to accept that you can dislike the EU without disliking foreigners, isn't there?

Yeah, the Guardian and some people on TSR are really stirring :lol:
I am proud for being Middle Class, Educated, and to be a Londoner. But I voted REMAIN, as that is best for all of us.

The BREXITERS (working class, uneducated, northerners) are just annoyed with their own lowly lives so blaming foreigners is their way of thinking that they are achieving something.

Stop being such a condescending p**ck, Not all Northerners voted to leave.
Original post by Desi123
Yeah, the Guardian and some people on TSR are really stirring :lol:

You should try the Huffington (com)Post, you'd think a nuclear apocalypse had begun :giggle:
Original post by TheTechN1304
I never understood how people could come up with such stupid sweeping generalisations like that. What gives you the right to assume such a thing? Are 52% of the UK suddenly racist because they voted out of a political union? Even if it was about immigration, why is wanting to control numbers of unskilled labour a bad thing? People from the likes of India, China, Nigeria have to have X number of degrees, prove they're qualified, jump through various hoops and sell their grandma just to get here, whereas Tomasz from Poland can just roll up with no job, no savings and he's free to stay. How is that fair?

P r e a c h
In all honesty I feel that the Brexit campaign missed a trick by not allow those who voted remain 'Remainians'.
Original post by NickLCFC
Most Brexiters aren't anti immigration. This is just a narrative that has been pushed by the Remain campaign.

They better not be anti-immigration, because immigration is only going to increase because of the Brexit. They'd be so disappointed.
Original post by tanyapotter
They better not be anti-immigration, because immigration is only going to increase because of the Brexit. They'd be so disappointed.

Why would that be?
Why would that be?

There will be an influx of immigrants into this country between now and when we've officially left - before they're unable to do so as easily.
Most people that voted BREXIT did it because of "immigration" concerns, which obviously masquerades as racism.

Do you honestly think Stella-Artois-drinking louts down the pub (wearing England shirts) care about anything to do with the economy?

lol so concern with immigration is synonymous with racism? you can't objectively see it as a concern for working class people (especially in the northern areas who voted labour) that their labour market has been saturated to the point where they cannot get a working job which only offers the absolute minimum standard of living with no long term benefits?
or that 88% of EU migrants here would not satisfy the immigration standards we impose on overseas nationals?

Your very attitude, no matter how self righteous you think, is a leftist construction to help you escape the reality of the result
There will be an influx of immigrants into this country between now and when we've officially left - before they're unable to do so as easily.

That's debatable. Even if that did happen, the influx of immigrants would probably have difficulty obtaining British citizen if they came after the Brexit vote.
That's debatable. Even if that did happen, the influx of immigrants would probably have difficulty obtaining British citizen if they came after the Brexit vote.

There is no law in place that would allow for them to be discriminated like that before Article 50 is evoked.
Yes, my girlfriend is Indian. The majority of my friends are foreign, from countries including Vietnam, India, Portugal, Poland and Denmark. Wanting Britain to leave the EU doesn't mean we want them to go or we are racist.
There is no law in place that would allow for them to be discriminated like that before Article 50 is evoked.

Article 50 will probably be evoked in no less than a month anyway.
Article 50 will probably be evoked in no less than a month anyway.

No, it won't. It will take at least 2 years.
No, it won't. It will take at least 2 years.

Sorry, I thought you meant when Article 50 would be triggered.

Nobody is saying 'get all those immigrants out' they will have to apply through the normal channels that the rest of the world does, the top 3 countries to immigrate here are India, Pakistan and Poland. By that logic 2 of our 3 biggest immigrant populations come from communities outside the EU with the full requirements imposed on them.

Everybody says that the people who come here are skilled in trades and are often quite educated, those ones will not struggle to satisfy conditions to stay. I had a really good maths teacher who was the smartest man i know who was Polish, do we really think that they are going to get rid of him when he's clearly meeting all conditions?

There will clearly be a grace period where people will be subject to review and be given a chance to satisfy the conditions, but if not then they'll have to try again next time.
Sorry, I thought you meant when Article 50 would be triggered.

Jeremy Corbyn is the only person pushing for Article 50 to be invoked as soon as possible. Others are suggesting a delay.
Original post by Desi123
My family are Indian, we voted Brexit :h:

Why? (7 marks)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending