The Student Room Group

Congratulations Britain, you played yourself.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsphysics91
Many firms come to campus to fast-track students anyway, they're outside the science departments almost everyday. Obviously, but different degrees open up different doors.

Which firms do that? That happens in the US - they have presentations and whatnot here, but they will not bend their requirements because they saw you at x university.

But considering how most firms will reduce their intake now, you have nothing to worry about at all :rolleyes:
My bad, it's fun slaying A level students.

This thread is more an argument about your/others educational success and qualifications than it is about Brexit.
Original post by Cobalt_
This thread is more an argument about your/others educational success and qualifications than it is about Brexit.

The other guy started it and got half his posts deleted for being abusive lol
Original post by *Stefan*
Which firms do that? That happens in the US - they have presentations and whatnot here, but they will not bend their requirements because they saw you at x university.

But considering how most firms will reduce their intake now, you have nothing to worry about at all :rolleyes:

I've not spoken to the ambassadors but I know of people who took a test on the spot and got skipped straight to phone interviews or assessment centres.
Reply 224
Original post by drogon
lol no. you're not speaking on behalf of young people cos thats a very unpopular view.

Unfortunately you may be right the lack of respect for the value of democracy amongst the youth is concerning
It may prevent you from some IB/consulting ones at big firms that's about it. I've seen people spin 2:2's at big 4 firms. If anything CCC -> MPhys + Cambrige masters would be more impressive than ABB -> BSc Sociology to employers.

Sorry to add my 2 pence however the Big 4 are actually more interested in your Alevels than your degree so its much easier to spin a 2:2 than spinning CCC. They tend to be more strict on the 280/300/320 UCAS points needed (depending on the firm and depending on what you're applying for).

However that said I imagine someone with CCC going on to an MPhys and getting a 2:1/1st would be seen as advantageous to some degree.

The question I have though is if you want to work in Finance/Big 4 why are you doing an extra masters (assuming its in science) at Cambridge. Your MPhys is fine, did you want to keep your options open? If so an extra masters regardless of where it is wont really help unless you want to do research. If you want to do research surely applying for PhD's would be better.
Original post by Cobalt_
Sorry to add my 2 pence however the Big 4 are actually more interested in your Alevels than your degree so its much easier to spin a 2:2 than spinning CCC. They tend to be more strict on the 280/300/320 UCAS points needed (depending on the firm and depending on what you're applying for).

However that said I imagine someone with CCC going on to an MPhys and getting a 2:1/1st would be seen as advantageous to some degree.

The question I have though is if you want to work in Finance/Big 4 why are you doing an extra masters (assuming its in science) at Cambridge. Your MPhys is fine, did you want to keep your options open? If so an extra masters regardless of where it is wont really help unless you want to do research. If you want to do research surely applying for PhD's would be better.

I don't want to work in Finance/Big 4, I enquired about whether my situation (CCC, 2:1 MPhys from Durham and possible MEd from Cambridge) would be enough to work in finance in the future considering the A-level barrier. I was accepted for PGCE at Cambridge on a scholarship and wanted to get the second masters before possibly doing research in physics education (although the doors probably open for an astro PhD).
I don't want to work in Finance/Big 4, I enquired about whether my situation (CCC, 2:1 MPhys from Durham and possible MEd from Cambridge) would be enough to work in finance in the future considering the A-level barrier. I was accepted for PGCE at Cambridge on a scholarship and wanted to get the second masters before possibly doing research in physics education (although the doors probably open for an astro PhD).

Ah fair enough, I assumed the second masters was in science. Like I said before the Big4 are quite persistent on their alevel requirements but that being said I imagine if you manage to get a 1st in your MPhys it would some what compensate for the lower grades and therefore you would stand a fighting chance.

Good luck on your PGCE.
Original post by PrincessZara
We are all gonna suffer now because Becky with her 1 GCSE thinks an immigrant with a medical degree is going to steal her job. #DamnBecky

Congratulations Britain, you played yourself...Nobody over 65 should be allowed to vote, cause it's not their future.

Excluding the people with the most experience of politics is just a fantastic idea, and leaving it up to the easily manipulated and naive couldn't possibly go wrong!
Original post by Cobalt_
Ah fair enough, I assumed the second masters was in science. Like I said before the Big4 are quite persistent on their alevel requirements but that being said I imagine if you manage to get a 1st in your MPhys it would some what compensate for the lower grades and therefore you would stand a fighting chance.

Good luck on your PGCE.

I already got a 2:1 sadly.

Reply 230
Original post by PrincessZara
We are all gonna suffer now because Becky with her 1 GCSE thinks an immigrant with a medical degree is going to steal her job. #DamnBecky

Congratulations Britain, you played yourself...Nobody over 65 should be allowed to vote, cause it's not their future.

Ageist and complains about the uneducated...

... hasn't yet passed a GCSE herself

Perhaps those 65+ year olds you disregard so quickly have far more knowledge and experience than you so ought to be held in higher account that the idealistic young who have no idea what the real world is like outside of their parent's houses.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
How are the bank of England going to stop it falling further? Raise interest rates...
Affecting mortgages... people cant pay...people lose their homes.

Thankfully, I had the foresight to fix mine until 2021. Best start overpaying, I guess.
Original post by geoking
Excluding the people with the most experience of politics is just a fantastic idea, and leaving it up to the easily manipulated and naive couldn't possibly go wrong!

brexit vote was a strange combination of middle england and english chavs. but it was enough to tip the scales
Original post by Reue
Ageist and complains about the uneducated...

... hasn't yet passed a GCSE herself

Perhaps those 65+ year olds you disregard so quickly have far more knowledge and experience than you so ought to be held in higher account that the idealistic young who have no idea what the real world is like outside of their parent's houses.

16 year olds should ve allowed to vote.The argument that a 16 year old can be swayed easily is a stale one to be frank(I just turned 17 btw).

Age is irrelevant. If the media wants to, they can sway anyone's decision. Everyone is susceptible to influence, some more than others. That can be said for every age group. Its literally the point of propaganda. Of couse people can be influenced, but thata only if they want. If people are serious and are genuinely worried they will research both sides of the argument thoroughly.

People also really underestimate the value of education. I am privately educated so i cant speak on behalf everyone but id like to think that the education system teaches pupils well enough to make their own decision. Then again in edinburgh( overwhelmingly remain) 25% of pupils are in the private sector so i may be slightly biased.

Maybe there is a problem in the english/ welsh education system but as far as the results dictate, overall, pupils in scotland are quite well educated. I dont know the case in England or Wales. Note: there is a direct correlation between education levels and voting to remain, that could be telling of where the voters lie.

It could be that we debate in class more often. Here, we regularly spend class doing media analysis and debating on current affairs so we are more versed in both sides of an argument. In out school poll 87% voted remain with everyone participating in debate and research in class for weeks.

And the issue of maturity. At 16 you can get married, enlist, consent to sex, leave home, etc and you're telling me that they are too irresponsible/immature to decide THIER future? That is outrageous.I get it that we have to accept the result, it doesnt mean we have to agree with it after all we're the ones that will ultimately face the consequences and repurcussions of this decision rather than the 60+ year olds.

This is not to say the elderly dont have a right. Just dont out them up a pedastal. These same 'wise and experienced' elderly are the ones who are less-educated than todays generation overall.

Generally education is better today than it was before overall as everyone has access to good facilities free if political bias. So the average person noe would be more educated than the average person then.Also the elderly arent perfect, they have made plenty of decisions(good and bad). Just because they have made more deicisions it doesnt mean they are neccessarily the wiser.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 234
Original post by MamzZass
x

Skim read that essay, saw you'd made a load of assumptions about my views without me actually saying anything of the sort, not going to bother reading it fully or responding to the points raised.

Don't try to comment on points I've not actually said.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
Firstly, the EU isn't gone, it's not but a short boat/train ride away. Why not pack your bags and apply to become an EU national ? Do us all a favor. :smile:

Secondly, you want OAP to have their vote removed, people who have worked all their lives and contributed into building the modern luxuries you enjoy. There are countries which do have selective voting, sick parodies of what a democracy is. Again you are spoiled for choice. Please pack your bags and go there, see how you like it ?

Let's be honest, you don't want people whom don't agree with you to be allowed to vote. You come across as a disgusting, spoiled child and a horrible human being, you should be sent to live in a country where everyone has to vote the same way, where the elections are essentially a census. Which is exactly what you claim to want.

Repped.

Stupid spoiled teenagers on TSR who haven't ever had to support themselves posting BS like this :rolleyes:

NickLCFC
You're so right. We should have listened to PrincessZara, who hopes to achieve a C in foundation GCSE Maths #DaminPrincessZara

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4104085

Lmao rekd :toofunny:
(edited 7 years ago)
For those thinking a weak pound= a weak economy (@Themini and@Pepsi Cola [s]smile[/s])
Look at the Japanes yen and the Chinese reminbi. Two of the strongest economies f the world with weak currencies.
Original post by Reue
Skim read that essay, saw you'd made a load of assumptions about my views without me actually saying anything of the sort, not going to bother reading it fully or responding to the points raised.

Don't try to comment on points I've not actually said.

it was a general post...wasn't pointing your views out specifically. didnt mean to reply to your post. whoops.
There is a petition to ask Parliament whether it is constitutional to accept a simple majority vote or whether a vote of for example 60% is necessary for material constitutional change such as leaving the EU. If you are unhappy with the vote to Leave the EU you may want to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MamzZass
16 year olds should ve allowed to vote.The argument that a 16 year old can be swayed easily is a stale one to be frank(I just turned 17 btw).

Age is irrelevant. If the media wants to, they can sway anyone's decision. Everyone is susceptible to influence, some more than others. That can be said for every age group. Its literally the point of propaganda. Of couse people can be influenced, but thata only if they want. If people are serious and are genuinely worried they will research both sides of the argument thoroughly.

People also really underestimate the value of education. I am privately educated so i cant speak on behalf everyone but id like to think that the education system teaches pupils well enough to make their own decision. Then again in edinburgh( overwhelmingly remain) 25% of pupils are in the private sector so i may be slightly biased.

Maybe there is a problem in the english/ welsh education system but as far as the results dictate, overall, pupils in scotland are quite well educated. I dont know the case in England or Wales. Note: there is a direct correlation between education levels and voting to remain, that could be telling of where the voters lie.

It could be that we debate in class more often. Here, we regularly spend class doing media analysis and debating on current affairs so we are more versed in both sides of an argument. In out school poll 87% voted remain with everyone participating in debate and research in class for weeks.

And the issue of maturity. At 16 you can get married, enlist, consent to sex, leave home, etc and you're telling me that they are too irresponsible/immature to decide THIER future? That is outrageous.I get it that we have to accept the result, it doesnt mean we have to agree with it after all we're the ones that will ultimately face the consequences and repurcussions of this decision rather than the 60+ year olds.

This is not to say the elderly dont have a right. Just dont out them up a pedastal. These same 'wise and experienced' elderly are the ones who are less-educated than todays generation overall.

Generally, education is better today than it was before overall as everyone has access to good facilities free if political bias. So the average person now would be more educated than the average person then.Also the elderly arent perfect, they have made plenty of decisions(good and bad). Just because they have made more decisions it doesn't mean they are necessarily the wiser.

16-year-olds shouldn't be allowed to vote. They will have, at very best, a rudimentary understanding of politics and economics. If I was to ask a 16-year-old to explain to me the Common Agricultural policy or to explain the issue with mortgages in the UK, most wouldn't be able to. This would lead them to become the most emotive voters, which is something the UK needs less of, not more.

Quick Reply

Latest