Scroll to see replies

Original post by katiemariefryer
Yes.

Then please accept my apology.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Not everybody voted.

Then that's their own damn fault.
Reply 22
We shouldn't be having another vote. Respect democracy. At the end of the day, maybe it was over 60's and people with a low IQ that voted leave but as citizens everyone has a right to a vote and nobody has the right to dictate that these groups of people can't vote (discrimination act).

I could say a lot about remain voters (higher class, snobs e.t.c) and make points about why each wanted to vote the way they did - Maybe their votes should be invalid too?
Original post by The Roast
Then please accept my apology.

It's ok :smile: no harm done, people always assume I'm a 'remainer' and thats the whole damn problem in this country, people shouldn't be objectified by race, ethnic background, age etc, its so stupid. But anyway thats another story!
I understand that this was an advisory, but not binding vote, no?

Perhaps the way out is to have Cameron call an election for a parliament to implement the voters' preference. If the new guys can't-- or won't-- send the letter to Europe, then so be it.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Not everybody voted.

Everyone had an equal chance to vote, People who didn't vote chose not to, just like the 52% of the voters chose to vote Leave
Oh, I'm sure if the vote went the other way, brexiteers would have took it well and accepted the defeat...
Certainly wouldn't had done the same thing and claimed it was rigged. Bunch of absolute hypocrites. :mad:
Reply 27
How did 'democracy fail'...?

Because people are stupid.
I don't think there's really much point in holding a second referendum- UNLESS they allow 16-17 year olds the right to vote.

Thoughts?

(And btw I did want to remain but I respect other people and their opinions :smile: Just thought it would be interesting to hear what others think...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remainers are giving me a headache. I can't log on to facebook without petitions for a second referendum, complaints about how Nigel lied to everyone (EVEN THOUGH HE ISN'T FORMALLY IN THE LEAVE CAMPAIGN, AND HE ISN'T CHANCELLOR!), a call for an independent Scotland, and my country's very own Arlene Foster calling for an independent Northern Ireland (seriously, wtf.)

We live in a democracy, accept the fact you lost, and act like members of a united kingdom. Nobody is going to make the UK into anything worth saving if everyone continues to act butthurt and whinge about how unfair everything is.
It fails if we have another vote.

yes. voting is against democracy ....
Reply 31
Original post by titfortat
To be honest, leavers would've done the same if they had lost so I don't see why you're complaining.

Exactly, the stakes are very high here, this isn't just another GE vote that can be undone in 5 years, it's irreversible and 52% isn't a clear majority. Plus, you have the generation who have to live with this vote the longest voting almost overwhelmingly in favour of Remain, sovereignty may mean something to the older generations, but it's worthless to many of the younger generations who value stability and unity over a nostalgic and nationalistic idea of British sovereignty and already we're seeing people like Farage and Hannan retracting some of the promises made by Leave in regards to the NHS and reducing immigration.

More of the electorate didn't vote to leave than did, so I really don't think it's unjustified that many don't want this to be set in stone just yet.
Original post by Chakede
yes. voting is against democracy ....

No, but having another referendum because you didn't like the results of the first one is. :P
Reply 33
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Oh, I'm sure if the vote went the other way, brexiteers would have took it well and accepted the defeat...
Certainly wouldn't had done the same thing and claimed it was rigged. Bunch of absolute hypocrites. :mad:

Many Brexiteers were moaning about rigging (with the whole pencil debacle) before the polling stations had even closed, they seem quiet on that front now. Seriously, I think if the result had been the other way round, we would be hearing a lot more complaining by Brexiteers than we are of Remainers, so it's pretty hypocritical for people to accuse Remainers of being bitter when they'd be exactly the same if the tables had turned.

What are you crying about you numpty. Leave voters were always going to be crying for a 2nd vote if they lost narrowly. Given the amount of braindead xenophobes that swung the vote, it is understandable that the intelligent people of the UK are at least trying to fix this mess by getting a 2nd vote.

Original post by xafalcon
unbelievable , they lose and then want another referendum because it's not the result they wanted, tuff it's called democracy, if you don't like it leave the uk and join one of the other eu countries which will probably also be voting to leave the broken eu community pretty soon too!!!

Defeat is fine. I can accept that people voted leave. What annoys me is that a large number of leave voters have no idea what they voted for. A large number of them were people who never even paid attention to politics in their lives and voted as they xenophobic scum angry that some foreginer took a job they would never dream of even doing in the first place. On top of the the 16/17 year olds who have had their futures limited now as a result of old people voting. The youth, the people who were going to be affect the most, had their voices stripped of them by an old and bigoted generation and by younger people who genuinely had no idea what the EU even meant.

Eg some numpty rang up a radio station here in NI yesterday asking when the ****ing union flag is going back up on city hall year round, something that has nothing to do with the EU. These are the sort people who swung the vote, and they hadn't a ****ing clue what they were actually asking for.

It's ok because, the parliament won't implement it, unless they want 52% of the population who got off their ass and voted to incite a protest. Stupid signatures on that petition count no more than their vote to remain, its the same people voting the same thing and 'remainers' talk about the loss of money through leaving the EU, how much do you think it costs to hold a referendum. Idiots.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/eu-referendum/73869/eu-referendum-how-much-did-it-all-cost

how much do you think it costs to stay in the single market? More than EU membership that is for sure. Idiot.
Of course it does, we all voted in or out. The out vote won.
If we have another vote, to undermine the first one, then that's no democracy, its rolling the dice until you get the numbers you need.

Referenda are not "democracy". If it were then having held just 3 referenda ever the UK wouldn't be a very good democracy would it?

But there are more important reasons why referenda don't reflect democracy: the variability and subjectiveness of the conditions of the vote. The person who decided to call the referendum had just as much influence over this outcome as the 17 million who voted for it. So did the person who decided that 50% should be the threshold (most independence referenda are higher, generally 66%). So did the person who decided there would be no quorum conditions. So did the person who decided 16y/os and overseas territories have no vote. This is not add clearcut as, say, a general election. Referenda are not legally binding either, for a combination of the above.

I will not be signing the petition as personally I feel the conditions were set and however we feel about those the country lost and we'll have to deal with what follows. However, there is nothing wrong with being annoyed and being so is certainly not undermining democracy
Reply 36
Do.You.Know.What.A.Democracy.Is?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yes?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :confused:

Patronise all you want, this isn't just another GE vote that can be reversed 5 years later, it's an irreversible decision that we have to live with, it's not unreasonable for those not happy with what implications this vote will have in the future for their country to question such a small majority.
What's done is done, otherwide it'll just be referendums for eternity. It would be interesting though since Leave went back on their "£350 million for the NHS" fantasy within 24 hours.

Nigel really shot himself in the foot with this as well.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_576e6585e4b08d2c56393f12?edition=uk
Original post by titfortat
But it wasn't 52% of the population. 52% of the vote was to leave, not everyone voted though as there was only a 72% turnout

And your point is?

If people didnt turn up that's their own fault
This country largely is uneducated, lazy and insecure. But democracy is democracy.

Quick Reply

Latest