The Student Room Group

Why did Scotland mostly vote Remain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 0to100
Just make a thread mate.

Yes, about the Scottish Remain vote...

Really just hoping for SNP/EU discussions and a second Scottish referendum as soon as possible.
Original post by offhegoes
Yes, about the Scottish Remain vote...

Really just hoping for SNP/EU discussions and a second Scottish referendum as soon as possible.

Fascinating. Why are you still talking to me.
Original post by metrize
Because they wanted to remain in the EU.

No **** Sherlock
Reply 83
Original post by 0to100
Fascinating. Why are you still talking to me.

Mostly curious to see how long you're going to keep replying.

Out of curiosity, are you Scottish? Do you live in Scotland?
Reply 84
If Scotland were to have a second referendum and vote to leave the UK, would they even be able to survive? As. 'The latest comprehensive snapshot concluded that Scotland was running a larger deficit as a percentage of economic output than the UK average.' this takes into account the money Scotland makes from taxes and the money the UK government gives to Scotland so without the UK they would just turn out to be the next ROI with huge public debt as a percentage of their GDP

Source: BBC News, HM Treasury

Reply 86
Original post by 0to100

As I've already said, I'm English, I've lived in Scotland for nearly 13 years.

Anyone else here a registered voter in Scotland?

Reply 88
Original post by 0to100

Whilst this reflects on neither of us particularly favourably, I'm pretty confident that you're more likely to look back on this and cringe.
Whilst this reflects on neither of us particularly favourably, I'm pretty confident that you're more likely to look back on this and cringe.

Spoiler

Original post by NewcastleFresher

Low turnout
Reply 91
Original post by MattB_
If Scotland were to have a second referendum and vote to leave the UK, would they even be able to survive? As. 'The latest comprehensive snapshot concluded that Scotland was running a larger deficit as a percentage of economic output than the UK average.' this takes into account the money Scotland makes from taxes and the money the UK government gives to Scotland so without the UK they would just turn out to be the next ROI with huge public debt as a percentage of their GDP

Source: BBC News, HM Treasury

Scotland would have a greater control over how it spends its money and how it raises money. Of course it would survive.
Reply 92
Original post by ckfeister
Low turnout

What?
What?

Low turnout means like only 30% voted, or not even that!
They are waiting for the Scotland referendum, then I think remain in UK would win, you have one side not voting because they know remain will win, other side who wants to leave EU is keeping quiet until referendum but we got till 2020 before next local elections I think to prove that brexit isn't that terrible.
Reply 94
Original post by 0to100

I am. Surprise surprise- another vote that deeply effects the future of our country (Scotland) being decided by other nations with different political and social ideologies. How ironic that we have now been dragged out of Europe, our credit rating downgraded and are faced with years of economic instability... all of which project fear said a no vote would prevent! I said at that time the only thing endangering our membership of the EU was the predicted in/out referendum. Sadly I was right.
We need another referendum.
Reply 95
Original post by ckfeister
Low turnout means like only 30% voted, or not even that!
They are waiting for the Scotland referendum, then I think remain in UK would win, you have one side not voting because they know remain will win, other side who wants to leave EU is keeping quiet until referendum but we got till 2020 before next local elections I think to prove that brexit isn't that terrible.

By "like only 30%" turnout in Scotland do you mean 67%? That's a long way from 30%.

That's also better than the overall in the UK of 66.14% for the 2015 General Election. Scotland did have a higher turnout then of 71.1%, but then again that was the highest turnout for any region in the UK.

More importantly though, I'm not sure what your point about low turnout would have been anyway?
By "like only 30%" turnout in Scotland do you mean 67%? That's a long way from 30%.

That's also better than the overall in the UK of 66.14% for the 2015 General Election. Scotland did have a higher turnout then of 71.1%, but then again that was the highest turnout for any region in the UK.

More importantly though, I'm not sure what your point about low turnout would have been anyway?

It was 67%? That a low turnout? Well Scotland is going to be independent maybe, who knows.
Reply 97
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Because Scotland has always been pro-Europe and the pro-European SNP has a lot of influence there.

I'm afraid both of these things are nonsense. On the SNP point, well over a third of its voters voted out - much like the Labour Party UK-wide in that regard.

As for "always been pro-Europe", I give you the results of the 1975 referendum on membership. Notice anything a bit strange?

They knew the English wanted to leave and they voted remain out of bitterness. NI was the same.
Original post by Debz0r
I am. Surprise surprise- another vote that deeply effects the future of our country (Scotland) being decided by other nations with different political and social ideologies. How ironic that we have now been dragged out of Europe, our credit rating downgraded and are faced with years of economic instability... all of which project fear said a no vote would prevent! I said at that time the only thing endangering our membership of the EU was the predicted in/out referendum. Sadly I was right.
We need another referendum.

You are little more than a region of a country at the minute.

Quick Reply

Latest