The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP2 Thread - AM 27th June 2016

I didn't see any other 2016 threads for this module, please let me know if one is already established!

Timetable (skip to page 9)

---

Also, I've written an Enhanced Examination Paper for this module, specifically including MEI questions to help you all :smile:

It is meant to be a significantly more challenging examination of general concepts specified by MEI. It is fully doable for students with knowledge of standard A-level mathematics and further mathematics.

Being able to make a good start on all of the questions is a good indicator that you are on track to a strong A* in this module.

https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/fp2_mei.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions on the paper.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oops, looks like I messed up the title a bit. Oh well!

Solutions for that paper: https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/fp2_mei_solutions.pdf

Don't look at the solutions until you've made a concerted effort on the paper!
Original post by Don John

I didn't see any other 2016 threads for this module, please let me know if one is already established!

---

Also, I've written an Enhanced Examination Paper for this module, specifically including MEI questions to help you all :smile:

It is meant to be a significantly more challenging examination of general concepts specified by MEI. It is fully doable for students with knowledge of standard A-level mathematics and further mathematics.

Being able to make a good start on all of the questions is a good indicator that you are on track to a strong A* in this module.

https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/fp2_mei.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions on the paper.

is the paper still available ?

:holmes:
After Economics gets out the way, it'll be fun to go back to FP2 again

How's everyone feeling for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody have the 2015 FP2 paper?
fp2 jan 10.png

Could anyone help me with this question please? It's from January 2010.
Reply 6
Original post by Bunderwump
Does anybody have the 2015 FP2 paper?

:smile:
jun 2010.png

Could anyone help with part ii) of this question please? From June 2010.
Original post by klosovic
jun 2010.png

Could anyone help with part ii) of this question please? From June 2010.

Without directly giving the answer:

-Find the modulus and argument of the midpoint of one of the sides. The argument is just the mid point of the argument of two of the adjacent points. The modulus you can work out with some basic trigonometry.

-This is the modulus and argument of the 4th root of w, so we need to raise this by a power of 4, which means multiplying the argument by 4, and raising the modulus to a power of 4.
Need help on june 09 2ii, ive worked out the eigenvector but I dunno how to solve the equation? Could anyone help? have no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HFancy1997
Need help on june 09 2ii, ive worked out the eigenvector but I dunno how to solve the equation? Could anyone help? have no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the method I usually use when asked to solve equations using eigenvectors:

The eigenvector you worked out is (-1,6,1) (or a multiple of it). The matrix multiplied by the eigenvector equals the eigenvector multiplied by its eigenvalue. If v is the eigenvector and x is the eigenvalue:

Mv = xv

In our equation, x is -1, so Mv = -v.

The right hand side of the above equation, -v, is negative the eigenvector, so (1,-6,-1). The right hand side of the equation we have to solve is (-0.1,0.6,0.1), which is -v * (-1/10). So multiple by the above equation by (-1/10):

Mv*(-1/10) = (-0.1,0.6,0.1)

So we can see from the left hand side that the solution is v*(-1/10), which is (0.1, -0.6, 0.1). x = 0.1, y = -0.6, z = -0.1.
Reply 11
FP2 should hopefully go well as long as there's no weird matrices questions :smile: I'll definitely give your enhanced paper a go over at some point.
This is the method I usually use when asked to solve equations using eigenvectors:

The eigenvector you worked out is (-1,6,1) (or a multiple of it). The matrix multiplied by the eigenvector equals the eigenvector multiplied by its eigenvalue. If v is the eigenvector and x is the eigenvalue:

Mv = xv

In our equation, x is -1, so Mv = -v.

The right hand side of the above equation, -v, is negative the eigenvector, so (1,-6,-1). The right hand side of the equation we have to solve is (-0.1,0.6,0.1), which is -v * (-1/10). So multiple by the above equation by (-1/10):

So we can see from the left hand side that the solution is v*(-1/10), which is (0.1, -0.6, 0.1). x = 0.1, y = -0.6, z = -0.1.

still confused:s-smilie: I dont see how xyz equals that. I know Ms=Ys but dont understand what happebs next:s-smilie:

hmmm actually I think I doo, not entirely sure though. Is there another example I can do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
still confused:s-smilie: I dont see how xyz equals that. I know Ms=Ys but dont understand what happebs next:s-smilie:

hmmm actually I think I doo, not entirely sure though. Is there another example I can do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think back to solving simultaneous equations with matrices in FP1 - for example, if you have a matrix M with elements:

1, 2, 3
4, 5, 6
7, 8, 9

And you multiply it by a 1x3 matrix (x,y,z) and set it equal to a 1x3 vector with values (a,b,c), then it is equivalent to writing:

1x + 2y + 3z = a
4x + 5y + 6z = b
7x + 8y + 9z = c

So finding the 1x3 matrix (x,y,z) means you have found the values for x, y and z in the equations. Let's call the 1x3 matrix (x,y,z) "T", and the solution matrix (a,b,c) "R". We have MT = R. We know the numerical values of R, so we need to find T.

In your question, let's compare the final stage of working to the above:

MT = R

So M is M, R is (-0.1,0.6,0.1), and T is v*(-1/10). So T is -1/10 times the eigenvector, which is -1/10 * (-1,6,1), which is (0.1,-0.6,-0.1), so these are the values for x, y and z.
Think back to solving simultaneous equations with matrices in FP1 - for example, if you have a matrix M with elements:

1, 2, 3
4, 5, 6
7, 8, 9

And you multiply it by a 1x3 matrix (x,y,z) and set it equal to a 1x3 vector with values (a,b,c), then it is equivalent to writing:

1x + 2y + 3z = a
4x + 5y + 6z = b
7x + 8y + 9z = c

So finding the 1x3 matrix (x,y,z) means you have found the values for x, y and z in the equations. Let's call the 1x3 matrix (x,y,z) "T", and the solution matrix (a,b,c) "R". We have MT = R. We know the numerical values of R, so we need to find T.

In your question, let's compare the final stage of working to the above:

MT = R

So M is M, R is (-0.1,0.6,0.1), and T is v*(-1/10). So T is -1/10 times the eigenvector, which is -1/10 * (-1,6,1), which is (0.1,-0.6,-0.1), so these are the values for x, y and z.

Awwww man you are great!! Thats explained it so well thank you so much man:smile: I understand it now thanks so much for the help:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
June 10, 3a!!)

EvaluateM^2(1,-1,1/3)
wouldnt it be 4/3 times the eigenvector??? the mark scheme only multiplies it by 4:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wanna check this properly; is an eigenvector with all the elements' signs swapped compared to what's on the mark scheme still a valid answer to give? Is it in any way incorrect?
Reply 17
Original post by MintyMilk
Just wanna check this properly; is an eigenvector with all the elements' signs swapped compared to what's on the mark scheme still a valid answer to give? Is it in any way incorrect?

Yeah so the eigenvector (1,-2,0) is the same as (-1,2,0), since the different eigenvectors are just multiples of each other.
June 10, 3a!!)

EvaluateM^2(1,-1,1/3)
wouldnt it be 4/3 times the eigenvector??? the mark scheme only multiplies it by 4:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The eigenvalue is 2, so it is 2^2 * v which is 4 * v.
Original post by klosovic
The eigenvalue is 2, so it is 2^2 * v which is 4 * v.

but the Eigenvector is divided by three so do you not divide it by 3 too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending