The Student Room Group

D2 simplex method

How do you select the pivot element in the simplex method if your theta values are 0,3, and -3 (just making them up).

I know you choose the smallest positive number, but can you choose 0 as the pivot.

Thanks
do you mean the value = 0 or the value for x or y or z = 0?

if its the latter you will have something/0 which can't be done, if its the former, you are implying that a function of x, y and z is to be less than 0? i don't think this will occur
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bobjim12
do you mean the value = 0 or the value for x or y or z = 0?

if its the latter you will have something/0 which can't be done, if its the former, you are implying that a function of x, y and z is to be less than 0? i don't think this will occur

When you're finding the pivot, so you choose the column with the most negative value that's in the objective row, and the you divide each "value" by its corresponding value, and depending on these outcome you choose different pivots.

Here's what I'm trying to say:
image.jpg

My question is, what if one of these theta values was 0, can you choose this row as your pivot row?
Original post by fullmetal heart
When you're finding the pivot, so you choose the column with the most negative value that's in the objective row, and the you divide each "value" by its corresponding value, and depending on these outcome you choose different pivots.

Here's what I'm trying to say:
image.jpg

My question is, what if one of these theta values was 0, can you choose this row as your pivot row?

oh okay, well 0 isn't positive, so you wouldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending