The Student Room Group

(2x-1)/(6x-3)

How do you do (2x-1)/(6x-3)? The answer is 1/3 but how do you get there
Original post by SalazarSlytherin

Can you see some kind of link between the numerator and the denominator?
Well if you think about it 6x-3 is just 2x-1 times by 3
Factorisation. :yep:
Yeah, figured it out shortly after posting. How do you simplify (x^2 -3x) / (x^2 -9)
Yeah, figured it out shortly after posting. How do you simplify (x^2 -3x) / (x^2 -9)

Once again, this involves factorisation and completing the square for the denominator.

Factorise x^2 - 3x which is x(x-3)
Factorise x^2 - 9 which is (x+3)(x-3)
Cancel (x-3) from top and bottom
Left with: x/x+3 :smile:

If you post a question, please try to show what you've done or what you think you should do, or why you're stuck. From the previous question you know that you need to be factorising things, but you havent shown any attempt here.
Original post by SeanFM
If you post a question, please try to show what you've done or what you think you should do, or why you're stuck. From the previous question you know that you need to be factorising things, but you havent shown any attempt here.

I knew it was 1/3 because it is easy to do just by looking at but I wanted to know a method for ones with require thought like (x^2 -3x) / (x^2 -9) which I now know how to do thanks

6x-3 is three times more than 2x-1, or vice versa 2x-1 is three times lesser than 6x-3. So, if you divide the numerator 2x-1 by the denominator 6x-3, you get 1/3 as a result.
Original post by cogito.
That's one of your post, no comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How STEP went? I was too scared to go to the STEP thread
Original post by cogito.
How STEP went? I was too scared to go to the STEP thread

Well my offer is S,1 in II n III might get it might scrape SS but most likely high 1,1, i was very dissapointed as it was mainly because of choosing easy questions at the end with no time left.
Original post by physicsmaths
Well my offer is S,1 in II n III might get it might scrape SS but most likely high 1,1, i was very dissapointed as it was mainly because of choosing easy questions at the end with no time left.

Same here, I had to empty my mind after the exam and force myself to forget everything I wrote down or otherwise it will be another anxiety disorder + sleeping pills rotation. I did badly in my Chemistry mock because of STEP and it will be likely I will get B prediction. I do not care about chemistry grade as I have 7 A levels but it will look pretty bad on my reference, do you think I should negotiate/drop it ? I don't think Cambridge will be happy about a B on reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cogito.
Same here, I had to empty my mind after the exam and force myself to forget everything I wrote down or otherwise it will be another anxiety disorder + sleeping pills rotation. I did badly in my Chemistry mock because of STEP and it will be likely I will get B prediction. I do not care about chemistry grade as I have 7 A levels but it will look pretty bad on my reference, do you think I should negotiate/drop it ? I don't think Cambridge will be happy about a B on reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wot
Original post by cogito.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i got B in Physics AS and A level twice and chemistry D in AS and loads of D's in GCSE and they gave me an offer twice so I doubt they care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Well i got B in Physics AS and A level twice and chemistry D in AS and loads of D's in GCSE and they gave me an offer twice so I doubt they care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dam right. Immense motivation right there.
If you don't mind me asking, what A-levels did you do (Year 13) and what were your final results? Sorry, I don't know what year you are in so you may have not got your results :s-smilie:.

Quick Reply

Latest