The Student Room Group

For those who don't think we should have a 2nd referendum

Scroll to see replies

There will be petitions to keep holding referendums until Remain get the result they want.

Leave won by a 4% margin on one if the biggest - if not the biggest - voter turnouts in UK history. Remain lost. It's done. Accept it. To hold another referendum would set a bad precedent. Every time a vote passes by a margin of a few percent, people will stamp their feet and keep demanding do-overs.
Every time I see someone say "you lost, deal with it" I can't help but get the impression that they're fearful that they wouldn't win a second time :holmes:
Reply 22
No, Nigel said he will save money, and may put it towards NHS, he may not put all of it in, it's up to parliament and stuff.
Original post by Alexion
Every time I see someone say "you lost, deal with it" I can't help but get the impression that they're fearful that they wouldn't win a second time :holmes:

and what relevance does that possibly have?
Reply 24
Original post by Alexion

I was a strong - a very strong - Remain voter, and I'll happily say "you lost, deal with it". We did indeed lose, and we definitely need to work out how to deal with it.

Many of the advantages of being in the EU are capable of being retained in one way or another. It's one of the good points about the Outers failing to elucidate an agreed position on what a Leave vote would mean. Given the narrowness of the result, I think it's fairly save to say that the UK voted to be like Norway, not like North Korea.

Getting overly emotional about it - and I admit I went around yesterday feeling constantly like I'd been physically kicked in the guts - and lashing out isn't going to help. There isn't going to be a second referendum on a question that is resolved, nor should there be - the referendum was fair, legal and should be treated as decisive. Campaigners on both sides wore their legs our canvassing and delivering leaflets, both assured that it would be an honest process. I wouldn't dream of undermining that.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
and what relevance does that possibly have?

What's not relevant about it? I'm suggesting that people seem reluctant for a round 2 because remain has more support in the last couple of days, and if we keep going as we are, that support may keep growing.

I'm suggesting that they're getting all defensive because they're worried that remain would win the second referendum.
Original post by FNPC
No, Nigel said he will save money, and may put it towards NHS, he may not put all of it in, it's up to parliament and stuff.

Precisely. Leave were in no position to make promises for things they have no control over.
Original post by Alexion
What's not relevant about it? I'm suggesting that people seem reluctant for a round 2 because remain has more support in the last couple of days, and if we keep going as we are, that support may keep growing.

I'm suggesting that they're getting all defensive because they're worried that remain would win the second referendum.

The fact there is no justification for it. If Rooney misses a penalty and England go out of the Euro's he doesn't get to take it against until he scores.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If Leave really is the will of the people, it will be reflected in a second referendum and Leavers have nothing to fear. What do you have to lose?

Nothing, as long as if Remain win, they have another referendum as it will be 1-1 so we should have best of three.
The fact there is no justification for it. If Rooney misses a penalty and England go out of the Euro's he doesn't get to take it against until he scores.

I feel like a football tournament and the future of our country are slightly different playing fields...
Original post by Alexion
I feel like a football tournament and the future of our country are slightly different playing fields...

Why do you feel you know better than a majority of people who voted out?
Reply 31
People should seriously just accept the fact that leave won
Reply 32
Original post by JamesN88
Precisely. Leave were in no position to make promises for things they have no control over.

No, he said we "could give 250 mill" or whatever to the NHS, because we CAN
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Nothing, as long as if Remain win, they have another referendum as it will be 1-1 so we should have best of three.

I voted remain and just want to move on and make the best of this situation as the people have decided.
I think majority voted leave cause we wanted to see what would happen if we leave the EU.You can call it a massive risk .We know what will happen if we remain won but we wanted to see what would happen if leave won.

It might turn into a good outcome.We should give it some yrs and see.If the outcome is really really bad then we should have a 2nd Referendum.
And from the last point that I made.......I don't think it will be fair to hold a 2nd Referendum.This is because it is like any other voting election.For example:
What if Conservative won in one of the elections and Labour said: "Let's do the election again."
I don't see how that is fair.
btw,don't hate on my opinion.
Why do you feel you know better than a majority of people who voted out?

Why do I feel I know better? Look around you and tell me what good is coming from this decision.
Original post by Alexion
Why do I feel I know better? Look around you and tell me what good is coming from this decision.

Tell me what's changed.
Reply 38
I agree and would like a second refferendum, however the basis for your argument being that the win for leave was so narrow, begs the following questions; what if there is a similar margin in a second voting? How long does it continue? And how patient are the EU willing to be?
Tell me what's changed.

Many large companies preparing to ditch the UK. Other nations preparing to ditch the EU. Scotland preparing to ditch the UK. Our united continent is falling apart.

Quick Reply

Latest